• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

THP has me quite upset

So no one here said anything about how addictive growing pepper would be LOL.

/sarcasim

This is my first year growing peppers, started about 40 plants or so the other week. So what do I do, Plant another 5 varities, another 9 pots last night, thanks guys and gals

So far this year I have
Black Thai - started 2 last night
Fatalii - 4, started 2 more last night
Brain Strain - started 2 last night
Thai Fire - started 4 last night
Douglah - started 2 last ngiht
Ghost - 6 pots
Yellow 7 pot - 3 pots
Scorpion - 14 pots
Scorpion Cardi - 2 pots
Red Habs - 8 pots
Yellow Bhut Jolokia - 2 pots

Having fun with this and hope that all the plants produce and that I have enough room for them all LOL

That's a good chilihead. Last year I only had 7 plants / 5 types----this year 25 plants / 18 types. It is serious disease but I like it and as you have been told ...No cure.

Really hope you have a good productive season. Seeing how you are around the 50 mark for plants now....next year I want to read about your 150 plants...LOL. Enjoy and best of luck.

150 plants and I will most likely be looking for a new GF LOL
If we had a larger yard and actually owned the property and could what we wanted on it. I dont think she would have an issue with it

you are just starting wait till the addiction really kicks in and you start trading your babies for hotter and potentially lethal peppers then oh the ferts what ferts should I use? dammit noooooo... what soil should I use .. in pots in the ground ??? WHAT HAVE I DONE ... where are my friends...

ehem.. I mean Enjoy and Welcome to THP

you are just starting wait till the addiction really kicks in and you start trading your babies for hotter and potentially lethal peppers then oh the ferts what ferts should I use? dammit noooooo... what soil should I use .. in pots in the ground ??? WHAT HAVE I DONE ... where are my friends...

ehem.. I mean Enjoy and Welcome to THP

LOL the what have I done has already started. Looking at all the pots I have right now I can not think of a way to grow all of them in the ground. Need to get a bunch of 5 gal buckets. Had it all worked out earlier when i was going to do about 10 plants

As I said in another topic.
Give away free tidbits.
Addict as many locals as possible.
Become the sole source for their addiction.

Utter bastards here done the same to me, evil devils who insisted on putting little tastes of pods in my seed packages.

I got them now---muahahahahaha.
Growing my own supply.

Its funny you say that because that is exactly what Brian (justaguy) did to me.
I went over to help pick some Ffatalli and Red Habs. He was like her have a couple of these and these and these, Oh here you will like these. Try some of these also LOL

I moved into a new place that gives me more growing space. I think I am up to about 85 new varities this year. My car just broke, I need clothes etc., but I need to get my season off to a good start,so its off to get supplies today. Everything else can wait. lol. Good luck with your addiction. pepperproblem

I know exactly how you feel. I got into hot peppers for a very unusual reason. I mention this on my pepper website, but I have had a plant nursery for 27 years now, so I am already a "plant person". My next door neighbor is a guy about 10 years younger than I am (so he at least grew up listening to the wrong kind of music)and came up to me think he was hot shit, that he was able to eat an entire habanero, and showed me his scrawny habanero plant that was barely making it. So I thought to myself, I'm going to find the hottest pepper in the world (Bhut Jolokia at that time) and let him try to eat that, and that would make him puke. Anyway, I found some bhut plants and started growing them. He ended up chickening out and never ate an entrie bhut pod, but I got into it and started making my own bhut powder.
So that year I grew 3 plants. 5 plants the next year. Then the Butch T became the hottest pepper, so I HAD to branch out into something hotter! That year I had just over a dozen plants. This is when I met THP people. Things have just gotten worse sine then. I have learned about the other candidates for the next hottest pepper from the people here, and now have those 4 growing. I won an auction on this forum where I got 23 different types of pepper powder and liked several kinds of those, so I just went out and got some seeds for a few more that aren't even super hot, but are on the lower side of the hot scale. We were all just offered some peach bhut seeds recently and a good guy from the forum is sending me those as well, so things are getting a little crazy for me as well. Last year I had about 90 plants and I was up to 189 plants In January. I am thinking about adding another 100 to 140 plants to what I have now and that is just what I have in small seedlings and what i expect to get with the seeds I have coming this month.
I'm not sure how well I will do with more than 300 plants in 7 gallon containers, but we will see. I already know that I am a plant collector and am crazy, so I am not shocked by what is happening with me and the peppers. I have already had collections of cycads, palms, clivias, dyckias, sansevarias, agaves, and gingers. Another collection isn't a shock. The one different aspect of having the collection is exactly what you are mentioning. The other good people from this forum are such great people and are willing to share what they know and what they have with you. This is the very first time, after all these years, that I have met a group that are so generous. Sure, there is always that one old guy, or old woman that you go to their house and they always give you an interesting plant to take home, but those are one of a kind type of people that make our lives more worth while, but these pepper people are in mass.
Anyway, I've rambled too much, congratulations on being another person with the pepper fever, and try to give others the fever as well. Be good to the community, and the community will certainly be good to you. Tom

Utter bastards here done the same to me, evil devils who insisted on putting little tastes of pods in my seed packages.

So I'm not the only one that eats the dried bits of pulp that comes with the seeds...... good to know!!!!

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the chile pepper continuum.

So I am standing on my deck last night on where I can plant everything. Doing a rough estimate of space needed i figured I had enough room for about 35 or so plants ( that is on the high end) with another 10 or so in buckets. That leaves me with close to 10 that I have to figure out what to do with. Now that is saying that they all sprout. Right now I have about 30 that are seedlings so I have enough room for them.
On another note. I was looking at the seedlings lastnight and it looks like a few are starting to get true leaves. Also, had a Yellow Bhut Jolokia pop through the dirt yesterday

Back