• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

THP Members With Zero Profile Info?

When I click on a person's avatar to discover they have offered zero info about themselves (no location, age, interests, favorite peppers, seed lists...), I tend to dismiss them as, a) paranoid, or, b) lazy.  In any event, I'm inclined to ignore their posts/questions.  I mean, if they can't be bothered to tell me anything about themselves, why should I take the time to address them.  Am I wrong? 

My own profile was purposefully vague when I initially joined, mostly because I didn't really know many of you very well (or at all).  I updated the profile to include more info after I felt more at home and felt I'd found some friends.  I tend to care less about the anonymity of someone's user profile and more about their content.  Generally now when I come across something I don't like I'll check out a poster's profile/other content to try and understand better before I make a determination if they're trolling or whatever.

Different people use this site for many different reasons though, and there are many more who lurk rather than post very much.  The amount of 'real' on this board far exceeds most other hangouts I've found on the internet though, and it's something I cherish.  THP is a different animal than most other forums I frequent.  :)

SmokenFire said:
My own profile was purposefully vague when I initially joined, mostly because I didn't really know many of you very well (or at all).  I updated the profile to include more info after I felt more at home and felt I'd found some friends.  I tend to care less about the anonymity of someone's user profile and more about their content.  Generally now when I come across something I don't like I'll check out a poster's profile/other content to try and understand better before I make a determination if they're trolling or whatever.

Different people use this site for many different reasons though, and there are many more who lurk rather than post very much.  The amount of 'real' on this board far exceeds most other hangouts I've found on the internet though, and it's something I cherish.  THP is a different animal than most other forums I frequent.   :)
Nicely said! 

It doesn't bug me much, but the more info they share about themselves, the more inclined I am to share or trade seeds with them. Not nearly as bad as someone giving the silent treatment in PM when you inquire about their seeds. I find that to be a very feminine gesture.

Roguejim said:
When I click on a person's avatar to discover they have offered zero info about themselves (no location, age, interests, favorite peppers, seed lists...), I tend to dismiss them as, a) paranoid, or, b) lazy.  In any event, I'm inclined to ignore their posts/questions.  I mean, if they can't be bothered to tell me anything about themselves, why should I take the time to address them.  Am I wrong? 

Cuz real people walk around with signs on their necks.

grantmichaels said:
My only problem w/ that line of thinking is that not all paranoid people have a reason to be paranoid, they just are ...

How would you know? "Irrational fear" kind of means FOR NO REASON so go back and recalculate an answer that makes sense.

OP seems kind of paranoid.

able eye said:

Cuz real people walk around with signs on their necks.

How would you know? "Irrational fear" kind of means FOR NO REASON so go back and recalculate an answer that makes sense.

OP seems kind of paranoid.

Paranoid is more about persecutory belief than irrational fear. You are describing anxiety.

A third and more interesting variant is hyper-vigilance.

Hunter orange is useless if you are in a fabric covered box blind...
It may be safer when I leave the blind during the day, but it is dark when I go to the blind.

As far as profiles go, if someone is really paranoid, then they aren't going to put their real information anyway.
The fact that data is there only tells me that they actually care enough to take the time to fill it out.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Mine is pretty, go look at it!
yeah I think my airboat looks pretty good too.... LOL

It does not bother me one bit, and I would not treat that member different. Especially if they had already made posts and they did not look suspect.

The people with shell accounts will most likely fill it in... with BS.

Who cares? This is judging a book by its cover on the net I guess.

I would like to think everyone here gets an equal shake. Guess not.

Back