Thrifty Kitchen Shoppin'

QuadShotz

Banned
One of my fave things to do is go thrift shopping..never know what you'll find. :)

Well, this time, I actually needed a few things.

1. new oven mitt/hotpads sicne the cast iron gets too HOT for my old mitt adn tired heat pads.

2. ice trays..mine were old and cracking..and it's freakin' warm here in summer.

3. a baking dish for the Mac 'n Cheese Throwdown...muahahaha!

4. a new coffee carafe sicne i'd dropped mine and broke the liner. It's cheaper to just get a new one than replace the liner..as you'll see.

Here's all teh goodies:

S6303561.jpg

Total Cost: $9.76 w/ tax.

That mitt is HEAVY-DUTY and terry-cloth lined. It's a Cusinart branded mitt in perfect condition, and was $1.99.

The glass cassarole dish and carafe are both Corning and should last for years.
It's the same exact carafe I'd had for like a decade..irony, eh?

Wal-Mart can eat my shorts....
x_diablo.gif

How did you get a baking dish AND an oven mit for $4.73? Thats cheap as chips!
Well done bargain master :P

Edit: $2.74 for the dish, THAT'S AWESOME!

breakdown:

ice trays: 0.99 for the two
oven mitt: 1.99
carafe: 2.99
cassarole dish: 2.99

Proof:

S6303563.jpg

I was wrong, it was actually less than I'd stated...teehee.
And it's all like new stuff...gotta love it.

I may be poor, but I don't havta be limited by it. It helps I was raised to not be much of a capitalist consumerist type... ;)

Ah ha! Two ice cubes trays for .99, cant go wrong with that! I agree about the consumer thingo too, we all should take our kids to a farmers markets once in a while so they realise how much money big corporations rip outta them.

Yup.

Over here in the US..people are basically taught ya gotta have the newest stuff, or it's crap. Guess who indoctinates that? The media.

Which is bought and paid for by the corporations who sell us things.

"Used" means ewwwww here....such rubbish.

Well, everything I'm wearing is used, most everythng in my house is too including this computer I bought for $40.

Why should I pay retail markups and persist a cycle of waste if I don't need to?

I agree completely about the thrift stores and the farmer's markets. I go to get produce and walk around my local market just about every Tuesday. I still go to grocery stores and even some box stores now and then, but I am always just looking for the best deals. Makes no sense to pay more for things then you have to.

Novacastrian said:
$40 computer?! Wow. :woohoo:

the best deal i got for a computer was at a recycler..i went looking for bbq parts, saw a complete computer laying in the pile...i needed a motherboard for another PC so i said what the hell... price .30/lb...

took it home, put the front cover back on, plugged it in...still working right now.. 2.6gig proc,1 gig memory,100 gig HD... it had so much spyware on it that it acted crappy... reformat windows..brand new PC..lol

got a heckels 6" boning knife the other day at the same store as QuadShotz.. $2.99

Going to revive this thread for a question.

Does anyone here know much about vintage cookware?

I bought a Chilton 5qt. buffet cooker/deep fryer today at the thrift store. After I got it home and began to REALLY look at it, it appears to never have been used. Furthermore, in the bottom....underneath the pristine fry-basket, was the original instruction card and proper care card for your "NEW Teflon II Interior Finish. Here are some photos:

100_1323.jpg

100_1325.jpg

100_1326.jpg

100_1327.jpg

Any thoughts on when this was made? Does it have any collectable value.....or is it just going to be damn good at making fondue and chicken wings?

PAULKY SCORES!

NICE find!!!

No idea as to the age etc, but I love our Senior Center Rummage Room. 3bucks for whatever you can stuff into a paper grocery bag.

Thanks, HSL!

I saw it on the shelf and had to have it. I also bought a (new or nearly new condition) vintage stainless steel , two element, heating/warming plate. Got them both for 10 bucks. ;)

COOL, PAULKY!

what're you planning on using the two burner hot plate for? They're cool, just wondering if you have a specific idea in mind.

I'd say mostly for keeping food hot during dinner parties and such. My kids love fondues and this'd be a great way to keep cheeses and chocolates hot and ready. I'll take a photo of it in the morning and post it here. It really is kinda art-deco looking!

perfect app...

for APPetizers...

get it? it's an app? What's a 3Gapp???? Oh NEVER MIND!!!!!

:)

judging by the artwork and font style, i'm betting late 60s to early 70s. think about it, when have you seen anything that acted like Teflon was new? The first Teflon coated frying pan was sold in 1961 as "The Happy Pan". Teflon was invented in the 1930s. Teflon 2 was probably just a better usage of the stuff, but probably didn't come out much later. The artwork is very 60s. It likely wasn't used, as you said. i've seen countless appliances at yard sales that never were used. likely a wedding gift, etc. This is proved by the glass chip&dip and appetizer tray my wife and i got this past November. We'll likely never use either of them and may end up someone's Thrifty Kitchen Shoppin find.

Back