• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests TIP 4 APHIDS

I just came across a article that suggested using a adhesive lint remover to get those critters off the plants..

not a bad idea.

the removers you use for your clothing is what i am talking about...

HP - you afraid to touch aphids? LOL - just take them off with your fingers. Better yet, spray a little Safer Soap on the leaves and rub it in on both sides with your fingers. After that wash your hands, that's why God made soap and water. No need to make it complicated or have aphid carcasses ruining a perfectly good lint remover.

Actually the few plants I have aren't that big, only about 10" or so. What I found that works best is a big bucket of water / neem oil and I just pick the plant up right before watering when the dirt is firm and dip the entire plant in the bucket and let the excess drip into the soil. I give it about 10 minutes to dry and dip again. Then I water the soil really good and i'm done. I tried the spray / pick technique, but it would take me a LONG time and I wasn't sure if I was getting every leaf. After about a week of this I haven't seen a pest since.

bigt said:
HP - you afraid to touch aphids? LOL - just take them off with your fingers. Better yet, spray a little Safer Soap on the leaves and rub it in on both sides with your fingers. After that wash your hands, that's why God made soap and water. No need to make it complicated or have aphid carcasses ruining a perfectly good lint remover.

i wouldnt know..lol

i have never had aphids.... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

just thought i would share a tip... makes sense and easy enough to do..

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

being lazy, those methods would take too much time and effort for me....lol

i usually release chemical warfare!!!!!

i put one teaspoon of abamectin or bifenthrin or even both in a spray bottle with water......and unleash the fury.......never see those f*ckers again...

trinicoolieboy said:
being lazy, those methods would take too much time and effort for me....lol

i usually release chemical warfare!!!!!

i put one teaspoon of abamectin or bifenthrin or even both in a spray bottle with water......and unleash the fury.......never see those f*ckers again...

ha ha ha

then you eat it... mmmm deeeelish:)

Wow that brings up a good point. Can anyone say if there any issue with neem oil? I got that because the guy at the nursery said it was safe and made from soap and not chemicals, but since there are grown for consumption should I be dipping my plants in that?

Cotton ball,denatured alcohol,wipe the undersides of the leaves.Keep an eye on them.Repeat if nessesary.No problem.Cost.$3.Don't do it in direct sun.

LGHT said:
Wow that brings up a good point. Can anyone say if there any issue with neem oil? I got that because the guy at the nursery said it was safe and made from soap and not chemicals, but since there are grown for consumption should I be dipping my plants in that?

Neem oil is pressed from the fruits and seeds of Neem (Azadirachta indica), an evergreen tree. I don't see where the soap comes into play...am I missing something here?

AlabamaJack said:
Neem oil is pressed from the fruits and seeds of Neem (Azadirachta indica), an evergreen tree. I don't see where the soap comes into play...am I missing something here?

I think you're supposed to mix the Neem with water and a little dish soap (as a surfactant). I know that if you use Neem too much, it will kill the seedling. (it happened to me ,not sure why) I started alternating between Neem and Safer Soap and that eventually cleared the aphids out.

I don't use neem much any more because I found that for me, safer soap works better...but when I was using neem oil, I mixed a tablespoon of neem oil with water (that was the directions on the bottle)...if you buy the ready made neem spray, it may have soap in it...

Back