• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

To seed or not to seed? That is the question

I made a jolokia sauce. To save from posting the whole recipe, it is supposed to be a sweet but hot sauce. Made with peaches, brown sugar and Apple Juice (which I used to substitute pear cinnamon cider.)I used about 30 Naga Jolokia and yielded 30 oz. of sauce so about 1 pepper per ounce.

The recipe said that if I wanted to actually use the sauce to remove the seeds. I did so (and reserved some hopefully to grow next spring). The sauce ended up quite warm but I am one that likes to know where I can go with something.

I am thinking of making the same sauce with 1/2 the Jolokia's and one with the same 30 peppers but leaving the seeds in this time.

This would let me have one that would be more sweet and one that is uber hot!

I am curious what your thoughts would be on the effect of leaving the seeds... would it be un-usable or just exponentially hotter?

It's a misconception.

Leave seeds or de-seed, but leave the placenta (membrane) intact.

Seeds can be annoying. If you like a smooth consistency remove.

Ohhhh, the inner part that the seeds attach to... I guess.

The first sauce I made, (a Hab sauce) I left the seeds and was able to puree it down smooth enough for me so I think I may just leave them next time and see how it turns out.

Hmmm, see. so glad I started with these forums. I have always heard the heat was in the seeds...

So that's a myth huh?

Kinda. Removing the seeds themselves doesn't reduce the heat, but if the placenta is still attached to the seeds it will reduce the heat. I remove the seeds for my sauces because I don't care for the taste if you bite into one. If you want to remove the seeds but want it hotter, try to leave as much placenta intact when removing the seeds.

jacob

I say no seeds, or only if the sauce is thick. It is much more annoying/noticeable in a thin sauce. Imagine Tabasco with seeds. See what I mean? In a thick BBQ sauce, not as noticeable. Just something to think about.

And then you could leave the seeds and after blending pour the sauce through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. You’ll have a hot seed free sauce.

Just a thought.
Cheers,
RM

I know this post is old, but I have a similar question about this and didn't feel the need to make a new thread. Hopefully thats ok.

The owner of the bar I work at would like me to make a hot wing challange. I have decided on the ingredients and started making it this week. I used the Butch T Scorpions I got from Buddha Bill and the Moruga Scorpions I got from wayright. I also used yellow 7 pot for more of a tame flavor. I pureed my ingredients after cooking them and put them into a pot and let it simmer. I deseeded the peppers used (trying to save the placenta as much as possible), chopped them up and put them in and continued to let it simmer. After about 20 minutes I tasted it. The flavor was there but not the heat I was looking for. This is a challenge and if I don't find it that hot, then chili heads like you all won't either. So put some red Bhut Jolokias in and the rest of the Butch T Scorpions in. Allowed for more simmering and then tasted it. I think the heat is tammer rather than hotter. I can eat this sauce by the spoon fulls (as long as there is food in my stomach) I am unwilling to grab an extract just to make it hotter. Any ideas why this could be and what I can do to get the heat I am looking for? I used as much of the placenta as possible and even left some of the seeds connected to the placenta. I have more peppers coming in from HeirloomChef so I will be able to adjust with those if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks
Aaron

What Omri said.

To elaborate a bit, I think at about one super per liquid ounce things start getting really interesting in the challenge sauces, I'm not sure where you are at right now. I also like to have a range of peppers, lots of them hit you differently. I use a bit of xanthan and locust bean gum to help bind everything together when using butter/margarine to make sure it coats the mouth and all the peppers stay in suspension.

Every pepper can be different, but the Douglahs seem to be like swallowing a red hot coal to me. That's why I offered them in the mix. I was thinking of blending up those and trying Flamecycles quasi scoville test to see what I think they are and if once they're diluted enough I can pick out an actual flavor.

Ok, HH81, it's a challeenge but is it o e where the challenger had to pass several levels to get to the prize? if so the I'd start with a Hab sauce then go to a Red Savina sauce the. To a Bhut Jolomia sauce the finish with the Butch T. Not knowing the ingredients of your sauce, there are several things that will lend themselves to reducing the nheat level of your sauce. First is sugar. Nothing is greater at reducing your heat level than to use more and more sugar. The more sugar the moe lactic acid they will iba
M

Its actually a fire roasted sauce. Fire roasted red bell, fire roasted garlic, fire roasted tomato. I didn't roast the carrots, I then pureed them, added salt, vinegar, water, and lemon juice. Let it simmer. In all I added 10 butch T's, 5 bhuts, 3 moruga scorpions and 6 yellow 7 pots. There's only 13 oz of sauce (give or take). I also added some herb for some earthy flavor to go with the peppers. No sugar was added. I also like adding butter when bringing it back to temp.
Aaron

P.S. RM- its an 8 wing 20 minute challenge (better shock value I believe )

Its actually a fire roasted sauce. Fire roasted red bell, fire roasted garlic, fire roasted tomato. I didn't roast the carrots, I then pureed them, added salt, vinegar, water, and lemon juice. Let it simmer. In all I added 10 butch T's, 5 bhuts, 3 moruga scorpions and 6 yellow 7 pots. There's only 13 oz of sauce (give or take). I also added some herb for some earthy flavor to go with the peppers. No sugar was added. I also like adding butter when bringing it back to temp.
Aaron

P.S. RM- its an 8 wing 20 minute challenge (better shock value I believe )

My first attempt used fire roasted heirloom tomatoes as a base, I think Polish Linguisa. Nice flavor but too much sugar, it was approachable. That might be the case with your bell, tomato and carrot base.

For my last challenge sauce I started with fire roasted caribbean red habs as a base, a little garlic and just enough distilled white vinegar to get it all to puree. Plenty of flavor in the caribbean reds, and not as much sugar but the base will have heat of it's own then. I cooked the base a bit to smooth things out and reduced it down with some herbs, mostly oregano and thyme I think. Then I blended the raw supers in the hot base with a little clarified butter and added in the gums to keep it all together. My wife and her sisters were laughing at me sweating and tearing up just from the fumes when I was making it.
Renderered one of the taste testers speachless for a good 5 minutes as he struggled to keep it together after the first bite. :mouthonfire:

Back