• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

To Trim or not to Trim?

Normally i'd say to let it do it's thing, but you can use your judgement if you have branches practically dragging on the ground. Also remember that you can stake those same branches up, especially if they are loaded with pods.

Definitely snip off leaves that touch the ground, those are the ones that pick up disease first, then spread em to the rest of the plant.

Personally i'd advise staking them up before snipping them. You're past mid-season at this point and those extra branches can produce you extra pods.

Do not snip the lower branches. These will grow up and become main stems just like the original. More stems equals more peppers.

I have a question along the same lines as this, my plants are in 5 gallon buckets and on some of my plants, not just bhuts but habs and other super hots, some of the leaves/branches are so low that they are basically in the soil (using farfard's) and when I water they get soil all over them. Should I let those or snip them off?

I have a question along the same lines as this, my plants are in 5 gallon buckets and on some of my plants, not just bhuts but habs and other super hots, some of the leaves/branches are so low that they are basically in the soil (using farfard's) and when I water they get soil all over them. Should I let those or snip them off?

I personally never snip any leaves anywhere. If they are solid yellow and about to fall off, I'll help them along. My lower leaves in containers constantly get soil on them when I water. No big deal, I brush off what I see and keep on truckin'. Leaves are the horsepower that make pods grow. Does anybody want less horsepower? In anything?

If it is just branches touching the soil then there is no harm. If there are leaves touching the soil then that is different, but personally I have never had a plant become infected or ill from leaves touching the ground. Usually the leaves will yellow and fall off after a couple weeks of constant touching soil.

Ill brush off the soil I see, but these are bigger leaves on lower branches but they aren't turning yellow or anything so I guess I'll just leave them alone unless something changes

You can always tie them up if you're worried. I find that pruning the big leaves helps the plants grow larger. Bigger plants grow more pods!! Every once in a while I'll have a full grown plant for some reason not produce. I'll prune every three or four days until it starts cranking out the flowers which has seemed to work out well for me thus far.

Good luck!!

Back