• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Toaster Oven Dried Peppers

QuadShotz said:
Actually, it does go to over 475°F if ya check that pic.
IDK how hot Broil is as I've never measured it..but I regularly cook in it at 400-450F

It's a tough old Kenmore beasty. :)
My Oster goes up to 450F also. Kenmore products seem to be really good stuff that's built well and last a long time.

QuadShotz said:
Actually, it does go to over 475°F if ya check that pic.
IDK how hot Broil is as I've never measured it..but I regularly cook in it at 400-450F

It's a tough old Kenmore beasty. :)

Now I posted bollox myself, I meant 400+°C, of course. I checked yer pic, that why I said that, but... (see above)! :)

The dehy habs are great .I did over 200 this winter and us it everything.I`ve got a similar question concerning dehy,,should I buy a 2nd unit to do my nagas and such?I`ve got 6 plants to do?
By the way hello Celtic . Rich

Seconded, you'll save both the money for another machine and the money for the power it needs to run. It may take a little longer with more trays, but it'll still be more convenient (moneywise). It's also a better solution than running one with less trays twice or more often, that'd still need more power.

If you decide to use additional trays, you'll need to do a couple of things to ensure proper and even drying.

Every 6 hours, rotate the trays from top to bottom. Put the ones that are at the very top on the very bottom. Also, turn the peppers over and turn the trays 180 degrees. This will make all of your produce dry at the same rate.

Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone.I was worried the fumes being toxic at best might in-fuse into the unit hence flavoring everything else I dehy. Naga flavored peaches and apples might be a lil extreme for me. LOL Rich

NatGreenMeds said:
Every 6 hours, rotate the trays from top to bottom. Put the ones that are at the very top on the very bottom. Also, turn the peppers over and turn the trays 180 degrees. This will make all of your produce dry at the same rate.

Good luck to you!

Nat,

I rotate the trays about every eight hours or so. I don't pay any attention to turning the trays, but I do turn the peppers over.

BTW, I also cut some pieces of fiberglass window screen to cover the bottom of each tray.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Nat,

I rotate the trays about every eight hours or so. I don't pay any attention to turning the trays, but I do turn the peppers over.

BTW, I also cut some pieces of fiberglass window screen to cover the bottom of each tray.

Mike

As long as the load is reversed at least once during the drying operation and the peppers are stirred, turned or moved slightly, the drying should be as even as possible. It's not rocket science. With foods that are higher in sugar content, it becomes more important because of problems with mold if the food isn't completely dry in some areas. With peppers, if they're cut in half, strips or diced, then they dry pretty well anyway.

After drying, I use my food-saver to vacuum pack all my dried foods also. When stored in a dark, cool area, this makes them good for quite a long time, (longer than they'll last around me).

The window screen could only be a problem if the stack is so high that it retards the air flow. That would depend on the mesh size, which system was used, the ambient temps and humidity and the type/quantity of food on the trays. If a good solid flow is felt at the exhaust, then everything should be fine.

CelticTip said:
it makes good toast too

Haha..TippyCelt forgot the login eh bro? ;)

(he's been to my house and had foodstuffs cooked in that machine, so he knows it works good.)

I found a 5-tray Ronco Food Dehydrator for $20 on CL, are they any good though?

Cheers,

QS

Hey QS , make a dry box, just put 3 light globes in bottom (lil powersavers).. then poke dowel rods to make racks, then seedling trays,, the trays go on the racks, the globes heat box and they dry in a couple of days, uses stuff all electricity and can put like 8 trays in :)

and yea uses a lot to make a lil, im trying Naga/lime salt atm.. (made more jalapeno sauce, so had lime skins and dried )

Hotter than hell said:
i think that 200 degrees are much too hot! if you wanna dry any kind of fruit try it with maximum 70 degrees for several hours.

so the dried stuff, didn't loose any taste and is nearly as fresh taste.

never use an microwave, or any other agressive drying!!

I think he is talking about Fahrenheit, and since 70 degrees is about room temp in F, I'm gonna assume you must be speaking in Celcius.
This would be around 158 F.

No worries mates..everyone is entitled to their own opinions eh?

Peace & Peppers...
hippy000.gif

QuadShotz said:
No worries mates..everyone is entitled to their own opinions eh?

Peace & Peppers...
hippy000.gif

Your right of course. I should keep it in a PM if at all.

Didn't mean to bring it up in your thread. Sorry.

Back