• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Today...

...I am with you courtesy of Windows Vista.

It's good so far. A little trouble with drivers, but nothing anyone who has ever installed their own graphics card can't deal with. Getting a little fed up of having to authorise every single last itty bitty thing, but looks good, runs well.

As you were.

Speaking of computers for a minute, your employers are the ones who will hopfully be releasing Spore at some point, aren't they?

Are you allowed to say whether you've playtested it?

Now, see, apart from the lack of drivers, lack of (apparently) utility and maintenance software and incompatibilities thus far, some of which I hope are just due to the fact that it's only been out a short time, I'm really digging the navigation and stuff now. The gadgetrs are cool, the ability to navigate through folders by clicking the subdivisions in the address bar, etc, are cool. The constant prompts for admin permission are a pain.

Having said that, I got a seperate hard drive to put it on so I can dual boot with XP if I want, and I'm keeping XP for all my games, apps, etc, just using Vista for browsing, etc. really.

My XP machine is three years old and runs perfect with Firefox and Thunderbird.. Why would I want to screw it up with Windows Vista.

My next computer will have a Linux operating system in it. The hell with Bill Gates..

http://www.linux.org/

Just took a peek at the Ubuntu web site. It looks like a good system, but is it compatible with Windows stuff? I mean, I'd love to ditch Windows (I haven't used IE for years, and Thunderbird ROCKS!) but what's the compatibility?

DevilDuck said:
Just took a peek at the Ubuntu web site. It looks like a good system, but is it compatible with Windows stuff? I mean, I'd love to ditch Windows (I haven't used IE for years, and Thunderbird ROCKS!) but what's the compatibility?

Ubuntu is a Linux fork. Dell will actually be using Ubuntu as a desktop os alternativwe soon.

DevilDuck said:

what do you mean "windows stuff" ?

linux is a whole different operating system than windows. linux comes default with firefox and several other internet browsers as well as a few mail clients. it has a full office suite (openoffice.org), and it is more secure. it will run your digital camera, pda, and whatever else you have, but be prepared to do some configuring. if you arent good with a computer, dont use linux. installing things are not as simple as double clicking an icon. you have to install things via the command window using -make, make install, compile, blah blah.

you can get WINE which is an emulator for windows based programs, but it isnt as good as using windows (obviously). i used linux for more than a year out of college, and bc i started playing an online video game, i switched back to windows. im going back to linux soon, i just have to figure out which version i want. i was using suse 10.1 and it rocked. my computer was online without rebooting for more than 6 weeks, until the power went off. rock solid stable systems are made with linux, but dont expect it to be an easy point and click-fest like windows is.

Back