• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato talk 2009

Hotpeppa,

You cannot go wrong, regardless what types you grow (exception - if you don't like volunteers, don't grow cherry toms!). There are only a couple of varieties I have read about that are really disappointing to most growers and you don't have them in your list.

Good luck!

Mike

Just ordered these from Seed Savers Exchange...

Cherokee Purple

German Pink

Large Red Cherry

Opalka

Plum Lemon

Tommy Toe

My grandmother used to grow Tommy Toes and when they would start to ripen, I would sit under the plants and eat them fresh off the vine...they were delicious and this is the first time I have looked for the seeds...hope they turn out as good as I remember they were 50 years ago...

AlabamaJack said:
Just ordered these from Seed Savers Exchange...

Cherokee Purple

German Pink

Large Red Cherry

Opalka

Plum Lemon

Tommy Toe

My grandmother used to grow Tommy Toes and when they would start to ripen, I would sit under the plants and eat them fresh off the vine...they were delicious and this is the first time I have looked for the seeds...hope they turn out as good as I remember they were 50 years ago...

thats bringing a tear to my eye AJ...

I am trying
First Ladies
Husky Red
Black Cherry - from trade
Snow White
and if I can find Opalka on Tomato growers I'll order it
Im looking for a few others as well

**edit** found the Opalka on pg 25 in the Tomato growers 09 catalog

wordwiz said:
Hotpeppa,

You cannot go wrong, regardless what types you grow

I disagree. I think there are tomatoes that have been bred to thrive in one region of the country that bomb in others. And I think there is a lot of personal preference in whether you like your tomatoes tart or sugary.

Marianna's Peace is very popular, but it sucked for me. Was barely out of the pot when it died from, I think, an endemic race of blight. I'm not the only one in this area to have that problem. Brandywines are wonderful tomatoes, but if we have a hot summer, they don't produce. I'm told Omar's Lebanese produces mediocre tomatoes in this neck of the woods, too, while further north it supposedly produces nice tasty, tomatoes.

So, I think variety does matter, and that to get the best tomatoes, you should do a little research on what varieties are best suited for your area.

During my on going perusal and mind changing I agree with Pam on some Toms do better in other areas especially North to South.
Now Brandywines grew well for me but they would go bad very quickly as within a day or so. Could be me, but I wont grow them again.

I agree(disagree WW), many tomatoes just aren't good whether they are tasteless, bad producers or succeptable to fungal or viral problems. Personally I don't want any mediocre tasting toms or I'd just buy them from the grocery store or grow better producing hybrids.

I didn't word it as good as I should have. Last year, I raised several types that are suppose to be great in OH. Some turned out nicely, others were not worth the limited amount of space I have, as least based on productivity. But yet other growers heartily recommended them (Cherokee Chocolate, for example). They tasted fine and I suspect it was our growing season - a very late spring the plants never seemed to recover from. Plus, I wanted to have a couple hundred quarts of juice or whole toms and I fell just short of 100.

Mike

Pam said:
Marianna's Peace is very popular, but it sucked for me. Was barely out of the pot when it died from, I think, an endemic race of blight. I'm not the only one in this area to have that problem. Brandywines are wonderful tomatoes, but if we have a hot summer, they don't produce. I'm told Omar's Lebanese produces mediocre tomatoes in this neck of the woods, too, while further north it supposedly produces nice tasty, tomatoes

Yes Pam both of the afore mentioned did very well for me up in Mi. very large and very good flavor. I did get alot out of the Marianna's Peace but not very many from Omar's Lebanese.

Dale

I got zero tomatos off 3 Marianas Peace plants this past season...they grew very well but did not produce....

The tomatoes I'm growing this year are Goliath, Giant Valentine, Early Girl, Abraham Lincoln (first Time), and Jetsonic (Freebie).

What do you guys think about the variety Soldacki? I have not grown any tomato plants yet, but my father has for the past few years. He usually just grabs some seeds from home depot but I wanted to surprise him with a few really delicious varieties. I have read good things about Brandywine (all variations but mainly sudduth's strain), Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Soldacki. What are your thoughts on these varieties?

I grew Soldacki B-TSWV (Before Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus) and the tomatoes were tasty. It doesn't appear to have any resistance to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, though, so I quit growing it.

Pam said:
I grew Soldacki B-TSWV (Before Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus) and the tomatoes were tasty. It doesn't appear to have any resistance to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, though, so I quit growing it.

This may sound like a stupid question but do certain varieties attrack the thrips that bring the TSWV more than others. I only ask because my dad also grows bell peppers and I believe TSWV also affects pepper plants. If it is only susceptable to and not attracking TSMV then I guess it would be ok to try. Then if the plant gets TSWV it can be removed immediately. Any delicious varieties you can suggest as a substitute?

Thanks for your input by the way...

I don't think one variety attracts *spit!* thrips more than another. Some species of plants can attract one pest or another, or prove to be a reservoir. There were 4 huge sprawling mulberry-less mulberry trees in this yard when I bought it. On a hot summer day you could look up and see a ocean of leaves curled up lengthwise; classic *spit!* thrip damage. Once I got those trees taken out, I was able to get the *spit!* thrips and their Weapon of Mass Destruction, Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus under control.

And, yes, it does infect peppers, too. Annuums seem most sensitive to it, but even the more rugged varieties of chinense and baccatuum can get it.

ok...What I am looking for is a great flavoured tomato for Italian style meals, not cherry....:)

What are your thoughts?

Beefsteak seems to be a tom with lots of body MoyBoy and body is what you want with italian. Im sure ther are better tasting varieties though.

moyboy said:
ok...What I am looking for is a great flavoured tomato for Italian style meals, not cherry....:)

What are your thoughts?

Are you going to cook with them or eat them fresh?

Back