• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato talk 2009

I bought a few different varieties of peppers from her. She is good to deal with...can't speak of the tomatos...sorry

I had my problems with her, but she just went through a tragic loss:(
I also pointed out to her that her "turk's turban" pepper isn't as rare as she seems to think and probably isn't French either.

Pam said:
Are you going to cook with them or eat them fresh?

Good question pam.

It will be a cooking tomato, and It will also be the base for an Italian sauce that I want to make then freeze it in small batches.....

My step daughter also loves her toms, and I grow alot of them for her so it would be good to get one that has a great flavour to eat fresh as well. She loves them sliced on toast for breakfast....

Who has the 09 Catalog from 'tomatogrowers'? I think a few of you do...

Is it worth getting???

I ask cause I have to pay $6US to get it, so I want it to be worth it....

Has anyone got it as a PDF?

Cheers

moyboy said:
Who has the 09 Catalog from 'tomatogrowers'? I think a few of you do...

Is it worth getting???

I ask cause I have to pay $6US to get it, so I want it to be worth it....

Has anyone got it as a PDF?

I have a copy, but it's on line, too.

I don't know that it's worth $6, though; and I'm an unrepentant catalog fondler.

Pam said:

I don't know that it's worth $6, though; and I'm an unrepentant catalog fondler.

The postage is $6US.......I think I will just look through the online stuff...

Pam said:

Yea I agree with Pam. Just go to their website.

For some reason, I have two of them! But it would probably cost me more than $6 to mail it to you! Of course, I could always print out a label with your name and addy on it, drop in in the mailbox and see if you get it!

I would also go the on-line way.

Mike

wordwiz said:
For some reason, I have two of them! But it would probably cost me more than $6 to mail it to you! Of course, I could always print out a label with your name and addy on it, drop in in the mailbox and see if you get it!

I would also go the on-line way.

Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike....Don't waste your copy.....

I will go the online way....It's just nice and simple to have it all infront of you at one time, instead of going from screen to screen.....

Thanks guys....

moyboy said:
Thanks for the offer Mike....Don't waste your copy.....

I will go the online way....It's just nice and simple to have it all infront of you at one time, instead of going from screen to screen.....

Thanks guys....

Well that's true. You could always copy and paste (into word or whatever you use) the info. on varieties you are considering. Then, once you have looked through all the varieties, you can go back to what you copied and narrow it down.

I'm thinking this year of growing a selection of different colored cherry toms, with whites, blacks, reds, oranges and maybe yellows(although I forgot to get any good yellow seed varieties so far, and I'm up for suggestions). I've always grown for myself and friends & neighbors but this year I'm hoping to sell some veggies, and hope the rainbow of colors will be more appealing and profitable than relying only on the taste-tested favorites. I'm also trying to grow a wider range of colors with larger tomatoes but I also want to stick with the tastiest and most productive types especially after a poor season like 2008.
For cherries this year I'm thinking:
Black cherry(new source, thanks Dale)
Snow White(thanks Dale again)
Sungold OP(thanks habman wherever you are)
Reisentraube(Tomatogrowers)- I've heard good and bad reviews
Tinytim(Only growing 1 plant and it has toms on it already)

Potawie,

For produce (as opposed to plants) a good tom is a red zebra. Good color, far and away my best producer last year. About the size of a cue ball or baseball, a bit on the sweet side, juicy but also fleshy. Close to a bushel of toms per plant, even in a crappy year - or maybe because of the crappy year!

Mike

For large tomatoes 2009, I'm thinking:
Opalka(my favorite paste tom)
Omar's lebanese(big and flavorful pink beafsteaks
German red strawberry(Oxheart type, best flavor ever for Potawie)
Zapotec(new to me, pleated and nearly hollow)
Bulgarian #7(5-6oz reds, growing them for my father who chose them online)
larger black variety(undecided variety, thanks again Dale)
Summer cider(beautiful color, only going to grow 1 plant)

What do you guys and gals think of Rose, Neves Azorean Red, and Aunt Gertie's Gold?

Pam I believe you mentioned Mule Team. What are your thoughts on that variety?

Back