• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Varieties - 2009 - CMPMAN1974

One of the first to ripen. A really unusual shaped tomato sent to me from a friend in Thailand. It's called a Thai Orange Egg Tomato. Quite prolific. Beautiful ripened color as well.

Chris

P1080167.jpg

They are coming in heavy now. I have NO idea what to do with the Sungold F1 tomatoes. The harvest is massive and this barely sratched the service. It's a truly amazing producer and beautiful huge plant. Can they be dehydrated? I picked 150-200 of these today.

Chris

P1080200.jpg

P1080203.jpg

Having some issues with massive rain lately causing some splitting, but I have had no BER this year on tomatoes. :) First time ever. Putting dolomatic lime and crushed eggshells in the planting hole must've helped.

Chris

P1080198.jpg

P1080201.jpg

Chris, great shots! As far as what to do with the sun-golds, there is a local tomato grower here that sells them juiced. They're sooooo good and sweet, and that color! They really do make great Tom Juice, which makes a great bloody mary. If you have the capabilities to juice them, get it a try and see what you think.

Chris, I love the look of the OSU Blue Fruit Tom.

Those pics look great and I'm sure you'll work something out. I believe you can dehydrate toms but have never done it myself so I couldn't really give you great detail on slice thickness and times??

A few large Lithuanian types and an absolute gorgeous one called Speckled Peach. This looks and feels exactly like a peach. Cool. I got it from a Canadian friend.

Chris

P1080232.jpg

P1080233.jpg

P1080236.jpg

No, I'm not Potawie. I'm asking myself why the hell I'm bothering growing all these. lol. I enjoy paste tomatoes for recipes and salsa. I do enjoy Pico de Gallo. I don't like chomping fresh tomatoes. My wife doesn't either.

Fortunately, I have a young daughter who adores tomatoes.

Ironically, this is the worst year I've ever had with respect to crop yields and the best year I've ever had with avoidance of pests (pepper maggots) and blossom end rot. Go figure, right? lol.

Chris

P1080259.jpg

P1080260.jpg

P1080254.jpg

P1080265.jpg

Amazing, simply an amazing harvest!

My toms are getting devastated by mice again and I no longer have the heart to kill them...

Back