• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tonly's 2011 grow log

2010 was my first season of growing anything other than the common jalapenos, serranos, etc. I have big plans for 2011. I'll try to document it here. There are so many top rate gardeners and photographers here that this will pale in comparison.
I have some random pics posted here from 2010: My link

I have my first seeds down and several plants overwintering that I'll take pics of soon. Still working on my grow list for 2011. So many peppers, only so much room.
Toby

Thanks for all the kind words. Here's more "raw footage" of the garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mA5ZxqhrA

Thanks for letting us roam around your garden. Gave me a lot of ideas and a look into the weather growin future... :cool:

Thanks for watching everyone. :) Shooting the video is fun. I wish I had the skills to edit them into something other than "raw footage".
Technology-wise I'm about 2 decades behind and I'm not even gonna try and catch up. :D

Just seeing your land makes me homesick for my childhood years. Great effort in your garden and greenhouses. In post #73 of your grow log you show some Cumari Ou Passirinho pods that were orangish and hot. I have looked around a bunch but can not find any seeds for next season. Vladen @ Rainbow Chile seeds has that variety but is out of stock currently. His also looks somewhat different than yours. Do you have any more pods/ plants growing now? I would love to get a few of these for next year. I don't mind if the are OP. Would be happy to trade if I have anything in my growlog or profile your interested in.

Regards Mike

Mike,
The cumari ou passarinho seeds came from Peppermania 2 years ago. The pictures (there is no description) on chileman.org don't look anything like the ones I'm growing.
I think I read a post from Tigahb8 recently about these peppers. Maybe he has a good description and can tell if what I have actually are cumari ou passarinho.
I don't have any of the original seed left but you are welcome to some off of this plant. PM me your address if interested.
Toby

Took a few pictures today so I thought I'd share. I have a 7 Pot Primo plant growing in hydro that I was told there's a chance that it is actually 7 Pot Jonah. Can you tell which it is by pod shape and/or color? I've not grown either strain before so I don't know.
Here's the pods:

IMG_0112.jpg

On the same plant:

IMG_0111.jpg

Also growing in deep water culture, Harold's St Barts:

IMG_0113.jpg

This is a Yellow Scorpion. Probably CARDI but not sure:

IMG_0114.jpg

This is from a "mystery" pack of seeds from Fatali.net. The pods start out purple and change through cream, yellow, orange and finally (so far) almost red. Haven't tasted them yet but they are nice to look at.

IMG_0110.jpg

Out of my 3 overwintered pubeescens, I'm pretty sure now that there are ripe pods this one is yellow manzano:

IMG_0105.jpg

Thanks DC. Those hydro plants are making a comeback. They were so heavily infested with aphids that I chopped them down to just short bare stems. They were 5 to 6 feet tall and just starting to produce when I did that. They have grown back to about 3 or 4 feet tall now and hopefully will load up with pods before it gets too hot in the greenhouse.

It's been a long time since I updated this grow log. The weather and the aphids have really set my season way back but I think things will turn around eventually.
I got a new video camera and decided to post my first attempt at making videos about the garden. Warning...I'm a total amateur at filming and editing.

This is only part of the garden. There's more peppers and things. I'll post part 2 when I get home tonight.
Nice garden. I see you have marigolds and ladybugs. Aren't marigolds supposed to be good for warding off pests? Thought I read that somewhere.

I have heard marigolds can help with pests but to be effective must be planted in large numbers. I have also heard they may even attract some pests. They look nice and are easy enough to grow so, I'll keep 'em either way. :D

Hey Tonly, Of all the pics I've seen your pods more resemble Primo than Jonah but I can't be certain. I am growing them this season also. The Fatali.net mystery looks a whole lot like CAP 1546. The pod shape and color progression and plant leaves are identical to mine. Your plant appears much taller than mine though.

I hope your wife's relatives in Joplin made it through OK. It took me a couple of days to get through to my sister but they survived. Their house's are quite damaged trees are down and vehicle's are totally ruined. I sure was happy to hear they made it.

Good luck with your season

Mike

All the family up in Joplin are OK. None live in the storms path. Most are just south or west of where it went. I can't imagine what it's like for the victims. Many are homeless, jobless, no possessions, lost family and friends, and got that way in just a few minutes. It's gonna take awhile to bounce back from this.

They look more like Jonah's to me. The pale green is one tip off. Jonah's are extremely light too, not a whole lot of substance to them.. Plus the 7 Pod Primo's are a very small pepper with a much more pronounced tail. I would say yours are Jonah's.

Back