• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too Late?

I started my Habs middle of July I believe and they've been growing steady and good, but aren't very big yet. I have two hab plants and they're both about 3 inches tall with about 6-7 leaves. They don't look anywhere near ready to produce peppers.

Think if I bring the pots in at night when first frost starts coming around I'll be able to get some pods off of them? How much longer in the season do I have? Northeast USA.

Next year I'm going to grow a bunch and start very early.

I planted some less than two weeks ago and am hoping to have some pods before winter sets in. Three inches is kind of small for being almost a month and half old. Got any pics?

millworkman said:
I planted some less than two weeks ago and am hoping to have some pods before winter sets in. Three inches is kind of small for being almost a month and half old. Got any pics?

I'll have to take some tomorrow. They've been sitting in the sun the entire time, always brought in when it rains and watered very lightly keeping the soil almost bone dry.

Ken_Allen said:
I started my Habs middle of July I believe and they've been growing steady and good, but aren't very big yet. I have two hab plants and they're both about 3 inches tall with about 6-7 leaves. They don't look anywhere near ready to produce peppers.

Think if I bring the pots in at night when first frost starts coming around I'll be able to get some pods off of them? How much longer in the season do I have? Northeast USA.

Next year I'm going to grow a bunch and start very early.

Hiya Ken yes you have started a bit late,The light as you no is starting to fade and where heading towards autumn the best time to plant A (C.Chinese)the type of variety of pepper your plant falls under is just before or just after xmas as the light in the daytime starts to increase,This will give the plant the optimum daylight hours in its growth pattern.But of course you can grow anytime using a home lighting system and grow all year around.
You wont get much fruit this year but may get some Christmas time or later maybe..But you can overwinter the plants and hopefully get a damn good crop come summertime :)

If you don't have a lighting system, try a sunny window sill. Don't worry if it starts dropping leaves and stops growing. Just overwinter it by watering it much less and leave it in a not too dark and not too cold room.

The growth of your hab plant sounds very similar to mine. It seemed like they were growing so slow...

Then one day it just took off, next thing I knew it was producing like crazy.

Hopefully the same happens to you!

Ken I started my habs from seeds in late feb and am now getting a second harvest.Talas was dead on about when to plant.I started mine under a 4 bulb flourescent and they loved it and nothing fancy or big bucks.I`m gonna try to over winter my biggest plants this year also.

Back