• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Too many fertilizer choices, please suggest one or two basic types

Lunch is almost over and I am no closer to narrowing down my choice!

I need a fertilizer that is easy, economical and available at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware etc.

Thanks!

Which kind? Time release, water soluble, liquid? You have a lot of different choices. A lot of people will complain about miracle grow but if used early in the season then you will not have any problems, they are high in nitrogen which boosts growth but will hinder flower and fruit set.

I am open to any type, but it would be helpul if I can use it on the potted plants as well as the plants in the raised beds.

I have used MG so far up to this point but it does not seem very popular, the drawback is mixing it with water.

Maybe a granular time release would be better?

Osmocote or Espoma brand are very popular and organic if I remember correctly. I think you put a half cup or so in the pots under plants when you pot up and then after a few weeks or so sprinkle some on top and water it in. Same with in ground stuff. I use Miracle Grow and do not mind mixing with water because I bottom water my container plants. It is a bit time consuming bu seems to work great. All the let over fert gets poured on the raised bed.

I second what potawie said as well. All my plant mixes get generous helpings of compost and manure mixed in. That way the natural ferts in the manure and compost help the little guys get established and top dress with composted manure as well.

I vote for Osmocote. Spread a couple of tablespoons throughout the pot and you're done for the year. I used 14-14-14.

Espoma plant tone or tomato tone works good, I used it for years. The only downside is it is a slower release. I have since moved on to the Botanicare pure blend pro grow formula, huge difference, my plants really took off after I started using it. You might want to look to see if you have a hydro shop near you, as you will be able to find liquid fertilizer that will work a lot better then the products you find at depot, etc.

Back