• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Too much water!!!

Well the weather will not give up it seems. It is almost daily that we are having some sort of heavy rainfalls and string winds. The winds aren't bothering me but after weeks of no dry time for my peppers, they are all showing severe under leaf curl and squiggly leaf veins. Everything I have read says under leaf curl with the leaves getting leathery is a sign of too much water. I haven't watered them in weeks and never had this problem when they were all indoors or before the rain started. It doesn't seem to be affecting pepper production or growth but it just hurts to see them like this. I thought of transplanting with a different soil mix that half 40-50% perlite for better drainage but don't really want to give them transplant shock.

Any suggestions? I have them under shade to stop the rain getting to them but they are not getting as much sun that would help dry the soil out. Also the ones in the ground are unable to stay out of the rain.

null_zpsaf30121c.jpg

null_zps208a4f1d.jpg

null_zps9a8484f1.jpg

I was gonna start a thread like this as I have the same problem on my TS sunrise and my Peter outside, both in soil and coco. Not sure what it is, but started after all the rain.

I haven't had a lot of rain the last 2 weeks and they don't seem to be recovering. Sorry I couldn't be any help I have very little experience growing outdoors.

Hey Lock I have very little outdoor experience also but I doubt the damaged growth will recover. The recovery will be seen in new growth I expect. Just sucks to see them like this.

Well just in case it is mites or some other shitty critter, I bought some commercial vegetable garden mite spray and sprayed them all down. The tomatoes and all got sprayed!

I 1st thought mine was a mite problem (I have dealt with them bunches), but I have been checking with a 60x microscope daily since it started and nothing.

^^^ Lock203, herbicide drift can make leaves look like that, including the squiggly center vein. It often affects the tender young tops more, and the older bottom leaves are usually spared.

The stuff can float in from a 1/2 mile away, So there's probably no telling which neighbor sprayed his lawn with it. Even tiny residual amounts are harmful.

Plants usually outgrow it, but it causes a setback.

Every pepper outside is. My indoor plants are not like this and they are all hydro compared to my outdoor soil plants.

I am worried now though because if this is mites, I don't want to transfer them indoors into my hydro plants by handling my outdoor plants and then my indoor ones. Hopefully the spray I used kills any mites if that was the problem. I looked and found some large creatures and spiders on some leaves but nothing almost microscopic like mites are suppose to be. I just could be blind though.
I trust the guys on here and if they tell me it is mites, that is what I am treating for.

Jetchuka said:
^^^ Lock203, herbicide drift can make leaves look like that, including the squiggly center vein. It often affects the tender young tops more, and the older bottom leaves are usually spared.

The stuff can float in from a 1/2 mile away, So there's probably no telling which neighbor sprayed his lawn with it. Even tiny residual amounts are harmful.

Plants usually outgrow it, but it causes a setback.

Thanks for this info, the older leaves are fine and the new growth on the bottom half of the plant seems normal. The top halfs new growth is still a little funky looking, but not as bad as when it 1st started.

Dan, I have had success using Mighty Wash against mites. Here is a cheap microscope that I use to check my plants for bugs, seems to work great for the price. 

Thanks lock. The herbicide drift theory is interesting. My whole lawn was sprayed down for a clover problem about a month ago with a special herbicide that only targets clover and not the grass.

Hopefully it is herbicide drift. Broad mite damage tends to make the leaves take on a bronze look. Be sure to look in flowers and nodes where new growth is starting.

I've been hearing about those broad mites from customers. From what they said they are even smaller than spider mites and you need something like a 100x microscope or stronger to see them? 

Yes... they are ridiculously small. Spider mites I can see just fine with the naked eye. Good luck whichever issue you guys have. I know of a few folks here who have had numerous seasons ruined by these. A couple seasons ago I had an overwintered plant that had them,I tossed it out of the window and didn't even attempt fighting them.

Good luck!

My plants seem to be recovering from whatever was causing this. I sprayed them with Mighty Wash twice for mites, so if that was the problem it got rid of them. 

The sunrise scorpion got the worst of it, but is throwing out pods like crazy now. I've not seen a lot of pics of this pepper and can't tell if the pods are deformed or not. Some of the newer pods have what appear to be stingers.
YSdvDeD.jpg

TPjFM1B.jpg

Bonus pic of my birdseye that wasn't affected, just cause I think it looks cool.
gjD4ph8.jpg

lock203 said:
My plants seem to be recovering from whatever was causing this. I sprayed them with Mighty Wash twice for mites, so if that was the problem it got rid of them. 

The sunrise scorpion got the worst of it, but is throwing out pods like crazy now. I've not seen a lot of pics of this pepper and can't tell if the pods are deformed or not. Some of the newer pods have what appear to be stingers.
YSdvDeD.jpg

TPjFM1B.jpg

Bonus pic of my birdseye that wasn't affected, just cause I think it looks cool.
gjD4ph8.jpg
the multicolor one looks like bolivian rainbow, you sure its birdseye

Back