• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Top Five Hot Peppers

I know this is subjective but I'd like to hear what you folks consider the hottest five peppers currently available to grow. Thanks a bunch.

1.Naga morich/Dorset Naga,Bih/Bhutt Jolokia
2.Scorpion
3.7 pot
4.Fatalli
5.Difficult one theres many Datil Or Chocolate Habanero

Just My Opinion the nagas went together at number one because of the closeness of the species :)

I think everyone can agree on the Nagas,bhuts,bih,scorpion and 7-pot in no particular order, but after that there is no real comparison, and a lot of room to speculate. The hottest I've ever had was a Trinidad Scorpion.

I've had a big thick skin jalapeno burn my butt and I eat nagas cut up in a cup of salsa regularly. Of the super hot my favorite are Bhut Jolokia, T. Scorpion, Fatalli, Chocolate Habaneros, and Tabasco. Variety is nice and easy with peppers.

Thanks for the opinions people, I really appreciate it.

Another question if you don't mind. For unknown reasons I thought that the Bhut Jolokia and the Naga Morich/Dorset were the same pepper--just different monikers. I take it they're different? Thanks again.

Bih/Bhutt same...The Dorset naga is a hybrid of the Naga morich there all good to grow with similar heat the bih/Bhutts are slightly larger pods that the Dorset/Morich.:)

There of course slightly differnt strains to the plants above :)

They may have all been the same pepper originally but they've been grown in different regions for so long that they gain some unique characteristics IMO

Potawie is right on this, I've read that it was selective breeding.Also has anyone ever thought that the Nagas/Bhuts originated from a Caribbean or South American super hot pepper like the Scorpion and 7Pod and bred with some native Indian peppers to make the Nagas/Bhuts or do you think the Naga is it's own pepper (un-crossed) I know the Naga is a Chinense but I think it has some trace of C.Frutescens? What do ya think?

Sorry if this is an old subject:rolleyes:

Also here is my top 5 Super Hots to grow.

1.Naga Morich/Dorset
2.Bhut Jolokia/Bih
3.Trinidad Scorpion
4.7pod/Pot
5.Trinidad Douglah

The Scorpion was the hottest so far for me.

POTAWIE said:
Actually I don't believe it was a hybrid, it was just selectively grown so same genetics.

It if was selectively grown or a hybrid is a bone of contention in dorset POTAWIE as the men who supplied the plants said that it was the same plants they used for seed and no selection/Hybridization was used..Who`s telling the truth? who nos :)

No all the crew involved POTAWIE my cousin has a farm apart 10 miles away and no`s the Michaud`s for some years ;)

The reason they can't get the Dorset naga registered as a PVP variety is because there is no new pepper or genetics, just basically a different shape

POTAWIE said:
The reason they can't get the Dorset naga registered as a PVP variety is because there is no new pepper or genetics, just basically a different shape

Yep spot on POTAWIE :)

Thanks people, I really appreciate the information. I hope I didn't open any old wounds and my apologies if I did. I know how heated species ID can get.

patrick said:
I know how heated species ID can get.

wait until I throw the Naga Jolokia (chinense) into the equation.... :lol:

I havent had the scorpions or 7-pot yet, so that said:

1. Nagas (including bih/bhut/dorset/morrich, they are THE hottest)
2. Chocolate Habs
3. Fatali
4. Burkina Habs (perhaps not, but the ones I have are incendiary)
5. Scotch Bonnets or Red Savina

I'm sure the ones I haven't had would pre-empt some, but since I havent had, I cant say.

Your mouth may see it diff.. ;)

Back