• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

travel Traveling to the Mecca

DickT said:
I thought you were talking about Saudia Arabia.........

I thought he was talking about Australia...:lol:

That look like it's going to be sooooo much fun, I'm sure you'll have a great time.....be safe!!

Howdy all! I am back safe and sound from my adventurous ATV trip with nothing more than a few sore muscles. Let me just say, OMG!!! that was so much fun and compares to no other trail riding that I have ever done. We left here early Thursday morning, driving straight down I-77 until Charleston, WV and from there wound our way to Man, WV arriving around 1:00 PM. After getting all unloaded and checked into our lodging, The Depot Lodge (which is an old railroad depot that was converted into a lodge), we hit the trails of Rock House trail system for a short 27 mile trip, by the way there are approximately 115 miles of trails in this system. The first thing that really caught my eye was just how rocky the trails were, thank god for independent suspension. The other thing that immediately caught my attention, was the sheer size of these mountains that we were climbing. There was one trail that seemed like 4 - 5 miles of straight winding ascent. Although the weather Thursday was misty and overcast, making visibility poor, we still had a great ride. That night we all rode to the local bar and grill for dinner (and to drink ofcourse...lol) and that was really cool, the whole area is ATV friendly and allow you to ride to the stores, bars, restaurants and just about anywhere.

Now, once at the bar I saw that they had hot wings and had one called Inferno. I asked the waitress if that was really hot and she told me that it was a scorcher, so I ordered 12. They had really great flavor, but scorcher, I would consider them mild and wouldn't you know I forgot my hot sauce back home...LOL...

The following day we hit the trails and rode hard, covering about 64 miles and traveled the mountain from Man to Gilbert and back. At Gilbert, we all rode into the Speedway to re-fuel and that was an experience because on the way through town, I spotted a cop and had the urge to gas it away from him. However, I then remembered that we were allowed to be on the streets and I had to laugh at myself.

The following day, Saturday, we rode for another 60 some miles covering the rest of the trails that we missed from the day before. Most of these were the Black Trail, the most difficult in skill level. There were a few times where the 'pucker factor' really kicked in and your heart beat raced and I was just glad that my insurance was all paid up. The only trail that we choose to miss was a Black and Red Trail (Extreme Difficult), I wanted to give it a try, but couldn't find anyone willing to go with me. Maybe next year.

I had a great time and covered about 148 miles in 3 days. Yes, I'm a little sore from all of that riding. I also think that my liver is a little sore from all of the drinking we did in the evenings.

Here are a few pictures, even though they don't do the area justice.

The Depot Lodge
October2009029.jpg

Our group on the Friday day ride
October2009031.jpg

Pic of me at the Gilbert, WV trail head
October2009036.jpg

Our fuel stop in Gilbert, WV
October2009032.jpg

Sounds like you had a blast!!!!! Glad you made it back safe and sound.

Oh, and thanks for titling the Depot Lodge pic for us. I would have never guessed what that was without it. :lol:

imaguitargod said:
Oh, and thanks for titling the Depot Lodge pic for us. I would have never guessed what that was without it. :lol:

I did that for you Iggy, I didn't want you to miss it. I know how alcohol can affect the vision. :lol: :P :rofl:

Pepperfreak said:
I did that for you Iggy, I didn't want you to miss it. I know how alcohol can affect the vision. :lol:

No, that's masturbation that makes you go blind. :rolleyes:

Wait...badly made grain alcohol can make you go blind too..........damn it! I'm twice as screwed! :lol:

Looks like fun. It would be nice to have places like that to ride at here in southeast Texas, but we were jinxed with mostly flat land.

Chilehunter, I am part of an ATV club and that long line was everyone that was riding with us. I kind of felt like a motorcycle gang when we ALL descended upon the town Gilbert, WV. You could tell the clerks at the Speedway were just about loosing their minds.

Pepperfreak said:
Chilehunter, I am part of an ATV club and that long line was everyone that was riding with us. I kind of felt like a motorcycle gang when we ALL descended upon the town Gilbert, WV. You could tell the clerks at the Speedway were just about loosing their minds.

well you are kinda like a gang when you roll into any town with those numbers :lol: just a ATV gang.
I've thought about joining a ATV club cuz people I know it seems like not everyone has the time to go riding at the same time. while with a club you'd always have plenty of people to go riding with, & sometimes you need all the help to get unstuck :lol::oops:

Back