Treasures from Ghana, part 2

Datil said:
Amazing effort JT!
I find real landraces more interesting than most superhot hybrids but many will disagree ;)

Cya

Datil
I have to agree. The varieties that have lovingly been taken care of for generations have a chance to really develop character. Landrace pepper varieties are planted and replanted over and over by farmers and gardeners. The main purpose of all that work is to grow something that makes food taste good. It's no surprise that the products of that effort are often spectacular. A lot of the new ones are selected for pungency more than anything.

I was thinking about this lately: if you go on YouTube and search for pepper pod reviews, you can find all sorts of people trying both traditional landraces and new superhots. After watching a few dozen of these videos, a pattern emerges: most of the videos showing people eating landraces actually look like they are really enjoying themselves. They are able to describe articulately the flavors and experiences they are having, and they seem to be having a good time -- both with mild and hot ones. By contrast, most of the videos for the new superhots mostly look ridiculous: *some* people can keep it together, but most of the presenters look like they're in the middle of cardiac arrest. The descriptions of the taste experience typically sound like part of a trauma center interview, where they list the symptoms they're experiencing. Yes, I understand the idea of "different strokes for different folks", but when I'm planting my garden, I'm interested in varieties where the flavor is the most distinguishing aspect,

I agree with you 100%, Joe. Finding and keeping new Landraces is more interesting to me personally, than the next new hottest pod. Landraces and wild species, in fact. I like superhots, don`t get me wrong, but they can be a bit of an ordeal  :P  and are not really for eating raw. I always prefer flavor over any other aspect of peppers and I recently was introduced to Mako akokosrade, which I thought was superb. And one you introduced us to! 

Nigel said:
I agree with you 100%, Joe. Finding and keeping new Landraces is more interesting to me personally, than the next new hottest pod. Landraces and wild species, in fact. I like superhots, don`t get me wrong, but they can be a bit of an ordeal  :P  and are not really for eating raw. I always prefer flavor over any other aspect of peppers and I recently was introduced to Mako akokosrade, which I thought was superb. And one you introduced us to! 
I wrote my comments with your videos in mind. I'm a big fan of your approach: the emphasis is on highlighting the details and what makes the different varieties unique. You actually go into detail about texture and flavor, and try to relate the sensory experience beyond the immediate TRPV1 receptor overload. What's more, you highlight a lot of obscure but worthwhile varieties, highlighting a lot of good stuff that otherwise gets overlooked. They make me want to dig up my neighbor's back yard, just to have enough growing space to try them all.

j.t.delaney said:
I wrote my comments with your videos in mind. I'm a big fan of your approach: the emphasis is on highlighting the details and what makes the different varieties unique. You actually go into detail about texture and flavor, and try to relate the sensory experience beyond the immediate TRPV1 receptor overload. What's more, you highlight a lot of obscure but worthwhile varieties, highlighting a lot of good stuff that otherwise gets overlooked. They make me want to dig up my neighbor's back yard, just to have enough growing space to try them all.

Digging up the neighbours yard, now that's something i haven't thought of yet :cool:
Mmmm sure neighbour i'll look after your garden while you are away...........

Micca

I have a few going but no Peppers yet. They unfortunately got a bit neglected this season so hopefully when it cools down a bit will get some fruiting.

Micca

I can't say enough good things about Joe and his seeds. I was introduced to his seeds via Seedsavers Exchange, the yearbook. I grew some of his tomatoes and peppers  and was thrilled by the flavor and productivity. I continue to try whatever new varieties he has to offer. If you have the opportunity to try his offerings you should jump at the chance, they are wonderful. People in these countries have been growing these peppers for years for a reason, they taste very good!

The Ananaga tomotoes were awesome. My favorite so far has been the akeraasadde(sp). It was like a mini fatalii. My maku bun all turned red eventually though I did have some that had an opaque green color for a while. I was thinking perhaps something was lost in translation and they were supposed to be eaten green. But they all tasted great and I'm greatly thankful for Joe's generosity.

Back