• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2015 Grow Log (potting soil probs solved!)

Well, off to an early start this year. 

I'm planting left over seeds from last year, to start, so I'm putting them in a little early just in case some don't pop.

Sorting last year's stash I kept tucked away from Pepperlover

Ps11gk4h.png

And the first tray of 2015

C3rSEmUh.png

I didn't plant any Nagas this year. Probably won't. Not doing reapers again, have plenty of heat in the brown morugas, brain strains, and barrackpores.

The next tray I do will be the rest of the non-annuums in a couple weeks, plus a replant of anything that hasn't popped by then.

Shooting for about 80 plants in the ground this year.

One full row of annuums, 5 jalapeno plants, 10 cayenne plants (never seem to grow enough of that!). 15

4 1/2 rows of Chinense, 10 per row. 45

1 1/2 rows of mixed pube/fructs/baccatum 15

Rock Garden did surprisingly well last year - so another dozen in there. GREAT big plants in the shade, not a lot of pods, though, and they took their damn sweet time ripening in the shade. So I'll probably put more annuums up there than I did last year (faster growing cycle) 12

Will reuse the 30x 5 gallon cloth pots one more time.. those did pretty good! Smaller plants, smaller pods, but they were all tasty. :)  30

Which brings the total planned grow to 117 peppers. 

Fewer than last year, but I'm saving some room to grow some watermelons this year, or die trying!

(Cutting out one full row of peppers; moving the beans up, to clear room for melons.)

Anyway, here's to 2015!

Current grow list as of 2/22/2015

Name,Source,Planted
7-Pod Barrackpore,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Chaguanas,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Jonah,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Orig,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Primo,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pot Long,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Aji Golden,tctenten,2/22/2015
Aji Peruvian,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Amish Bush,Pepperlover,2/22/2015
Bahamian Goat,tctenten,2/22/2015
Bahamian Goat,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Bhut Jolokia Brown,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia Red,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia White,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Big Thai Hybrid,tctenten,2/22/2015
Bolsa De Dulce,D3monic,2/13/2015
Bombay Morich,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Bonda Ma Jacques,D3monic,2/13/2015
Boyanska Kapiya,tctenten,2/22/2015
Brain Strain Red,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Brazilian Starfish,tctenten,2/22/2015
Brown Moruga,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CAP 215,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Cayenne,Pepperjoes,2/22/2015
"Cayenne, Charleston Hot ",tctenten,2/22/2015
"Cayenne, Large Thick",Pepperlover,2/22/2015
"Cayenne, Sweet",Pepperlover,2/22/2015
CGN 20812/PI159233,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CGN 22691,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CGN 24360,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CGN19198,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
CGN22792 / PI260478,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Chili de Abrol,Pepperlover,2/22/2015
Datil,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Datil (replant tray 2),Pepperlover,2/13/2015
"Datil, Sweet",D3monic,2/13/2015
Dedo De Moca,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Dorset Naga,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Fatali Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Friariello Di Napoli,tctenten,2/22/2015
Giant Mexican Rocoto,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Goat Pepper/CGN22794/PI260595,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Goats Weed,Pepperlover,2/22/2015
Habanero Antillais Carribean,Jcw10tc/SLP,2/13/2015
Habanero Antillais Carribean,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Cristiana,tctenten,2/22/2015
Habanero Giant Orange,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Manazano,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Niranja Picante,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Niranja Picante,jcw10tc/SLP,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Black",tctenten,2/22/2015
"Habanero, Carribean Red",D3monic,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Chocolate",Pepperlover,2/8/2015
"Habanero, Hot Paper Lantern",tctenten,2/22/2015
"Habanero, Orange",ribbedturtleneck,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Paper Lantern",D3monic,2/13/2015
"Habanero, White",ribbedturtleneck,2/13/2015
"Habanero, White bullet",D3monic,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Yellow",ribbedturtleneck,
Hawaiian Kona,tctenten,2/22/2015
"Jalapeno, Biker Billy",tctenten,2/22/2015
Large Orange Thai,growdown,2/22/2015
Large Red Rocoto,tctenten,2/22/2015
Mako Akokosrade,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
MOA Scotch Bonnet,Jcw10tc/pepperlover,2/13/2015
Monster Naga,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Naga Morich,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Orchid PI 497974,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
PI 281429,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Piment d Espelette,tctenten,2/22/2015
Pimenta Da Neyde,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Poblano 2014,D3monic,2/13/2015
Santa Fe Grande,Pepperjoes,2/22/2015
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Scotch Bonnet Yellow,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Shattah,Jcw10tc/pepperlover,2/13/2015
Star of Turkey,Jcw10tc/pepperlover,2/13/2015
Tobago,Pepperjoes,2/22/2015
Tobago Scotch Bonnet Red,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Tobago Scotch Bonnet Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Tobago Seasoning,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Doughlah,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Perfume,tctenten,2/22/2015
Trinidad PI 281317,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion (orig),Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Cardi,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Smooth,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
True Cumari,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Urfa Biber,D3monic,2/13/2015
Yellow Moruga,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015

Hooks!

VItHcnmh.jpg

Ok, yeah, so it's not peppers, but at least I'm growing something.

In this case Thyme and Sweet Basil hooked.

Also have oregano, rosemary, genovese basil, and sage in that tray.

These are going to remain indoors - I don't exactly have a plan for where I'm gonna grow them yet but I'm working on it. (Sort of.)

Well these aren't going outside. 

I'm building a shelf between our kitchen cabinets in front of the window, over the sink, and putting some grow lights above them on a timer.

This way we've always got fresh herbs within arms reach in the kitchen, it's right above the sink, so easy to water, and out of the way.

Plus I can burn the ugly f'n curtains that are currently hanging there.

TrentL said:
Well these aren't going outside. 

I'm building a shelf between our kitchen cabinets in front of the window, over the sink, and putting some grow lights above them on a timer.

This way we've always got fresh herbs within arms reach in the kitchen, it's right above the sink, so easy to water, and out of the way.

Plus I can burn the ugly f'n curtains that are currently hanging there.

I bought an aerogarden for basically the same reason, but it is being commandeered by me to kick start the suborn pubes for a few weeks and then I'll turn it over to the wife for herbs.

Trent I just found your glog, I have a ton of Hab heat range seeds. Just let me know your interests.

I hear ya about legal fees, we paid for our first grandkid's custodial trial years back. But it was worth it. ;)

Good luck this season!

Jeff H said:

I bought an aerogarden for basically the same reason, but it is being commandeered by me to kick start the suborn pubes for a few weeks and then I'll turn it over to the wife for herbs.

I got the curtains torn down. Now need to go shopping for a shelf and some other stuff to get the project underway. 

Are pubes hard to grow?

Wait. 

NOT THOSE PUBES. I got plenty of those (some are even white, now.. sigh, growing old sucks... one day you're young and vibrant and the next you look down when you take a leak and realize "damn, I got old man balls")

The capsicum pubescens?

I have two of them I was going to grow this year, Large Red Rocotos that tcclenten is sending, and Giant mexican rocotos that I got from pepperlover last year.

I tried to grow the giants last year and ended up getting 1 whole pod off of the plant. Several pods rotted before I could use them. Big green honking things.

I don't know if I did something wrong, or if I didn't plant early enough, or .. ??? 

I also have:

One Capsicum Eximium (CGN19198, from Judy)

Two Capsicum Frutescens (A Hawaiian Kona, also coming from tcclenten, and a CGN22792 from Judy)

Two Capsicum Praetermissums (CAP215, and CGN22794, both from Judy)

I've never grown those species before either.

Also some Baccatums (three different Aji's from forum members, and a Dedo De Moca from pepperlover)

But I grew the Dedo De Moca's last year (turned out good), so I'm not too worried about the Baccatums. 

Devv said:
Trent I just found your glog, I have a ton of Hab heat range seeds. Just let me know your interests.

I hear ya about legal fees, we paid for our first grandkid's custodial trial years back. But it was worth it. ;)

Good luck this season!

Devv I'm at 87 varieties thanks to forum members! But I have room for more. :)

This is what I have room to grow:

Dirt Crop
26 Annuums (2 rows)
40 Chinense (4 rows)
17 Misc (2 rows)

12 Rock Garden (ornamentals, they won't produce all that well in full shade)

Potted Crop (can be anything)
30 5 gal Cloth pots
20 large pots (15-20")

And this is where I'm at on the spreadsheet:

Capsicum Annuum 15
Capsicum Baccatum 5
Capsicum Chinense 60
Capsicum Eximium 1
Capsicum Frutescens 2
Capsicum Praetermissum 2
Capsicum Pubescens 2
Grand Total 87

Assuming no failures to sprout:

I could use 9 more Annuums

10 more chinense (will be potted in 5 gal cloth pots, the 4 rows in the dirt and 20 of the 5 gal pots are allocated)

And 5 more of Baccatum/Eximium/Frutescens/Praetermissum/Pubescens

Then I have room for 12 "pretties" up front in the rock garden. I'll probably plant a couple Pimenta da Neyde, maybe a couple Yatsufusa, and who knows what else.

Also full disclosure I'm totally stealing your toothpick / number tag idea Devv. That'll save me at least two hours of handwriting frigging tags out this year. :)

Ooh just got the mail, jwc10tc's seeds showed up today. Along with 3 pouches of powdered death. Smoked reaper powder (ouch), smoked hab manzano, and Yellow Moruga! (OOOoh man the pouches even smell smokey.. nomnomnom!

And now I have 89 varieties (+2 on the chinense). He stuffed a couple extra surprises in. :)

Time to start that second sprouting 10x10 tray. :)

TrentL said:

Ooh just got the mail, jwc10tc's seeds showed up today. Along with 3 pouches of powdered death. Smoked reaper powder (ouch), smoked hab manzano, and Yellow Moruga! (OOOoh man the pouches even smell smokey.. nomnomnom
Gotta love the USPS.  3 days to go 20 miles.  Mailed them Monday in Groveland.  Suppose they went to Peoria for a day. Then got lost for a day.  Then they decided to show up.  I just got some seeds from Texas in a small bubble envelope with a nice dirty tiretrack on it.  Looked like most of the seeds made it, seems about 6 complete ones, but 2 or 3 were dust.    I been putting those powders on everything.  The manzano and moruga are pretty reasonable, that reaper one can get some kick to it.  But shouldn't bother you too much since you were eating those things whole last year.  Good luck with the seeds, hope they turn out good for you.

TrentL said:

I got the curtains torn down. Now need to go shopping for a shelf and some other stuff to get the project underway. 

Are pubes hard to grow?

Wait. 

NOT THOSE PUBES. I got plenty of those (some are even white, now.. sigh, growing old sucks... one day you're young and vibrant and the next you look down when you take a leak and realize "damn, I got old man balls")

The capsicum pubescens?

I have two of them I was going to grow this year, Large Red Rocotos that tcclenten is sending, and Giant mexican rocotos that I got from pepperlover last year.

I tried to grow the giants last year and ended up getting 1 whole pod off of the plant. Several pods rotted before I could use them. Big green honking things.

I don't know if I did something wrong, or if I didn't plant early enough, or .. ??? 

Dirt Crop

12 Rock Garden -Pubes that will probably like full shade)
FIFY!

They are generally a pain in the ass, but the fruit is sooo good I keep trying. Eating a monzano is a little like eating a yellow bell, (not quite that sweet but you get the picture) but yet the damn thing is hot. Best tasting pepper besides the annuums by far.

In my now 3 years growing them:
poor germination rates,
slowest growing of all of the peppers
Don't like full sun or super hot days
Broad mites seem particularly attracted to them requiring more spraying than other plants.
Just drop flowers in Aug due to the heat
If things aren't perfect, you will be lucky to get a few fruits
cantankerous.

Only partially kidding about the rock garden. If you have a place that only gets partial sun, that would be ideal.

jcw10tc said:
Gotta love the USPS.  3 days to go 20 miles.  Mailed them Monday in Groveland.  Suppose they went to Peoria for a day. Then got lost for a day.  Then they decided to show up.  I just got some seeds from Texas in a small bubble envelope with a nice dirty tiretrack on it.  Looked like most of the seeds made it, seems about 6 complete ones, but 2 or 3 were dust.    I been putting those powders on everything.  The manzano and moruga are pretty reasonable, that reaper one can get some kick to it.  But shouldn't bother you too much since you were eating those things whole last year.  Good luck with the seeds, hope they turn out good for you.
Hopefully mine show up tomorrow. They were mailed monday morning, although they have a little more distance to travel. Three days for 20 miles is unbelievable.

Jeff H said:

Only partially kidding about the rock garden. If you have a place that only gets partial sun, that would be ideal.

I tried growing one in the rock garden last year, but a virginia creeper vine strangled the damn thing. Broke half the plant off when I tried to get the vine off of it.

Then what was left died when a 100 lb branch fell off the walnut tree from above and landed square in the middle of the rock garden. 

Just not a good year for Rocotos at my place. :)

I went nuts trying to keep virginia creepers under control last year, those vines are evil.

If you see a CNN headline news story at some point this year about a crazy guy in Illinois that burned down the neighborhood with a flamethrower, well, that'd probably be me trying to de-vine my property.

tctenten said:
Hopefully mine show up tomorrow. They were mailed monday morning, although they have a little more distance to travel. Three days for 20 miles is unbelievable.

I hope so too! I want to get the next tray of seeds started after work tomorrow.

Odd thing, when I was younger Friday night used to mean something completely different. ;)

Mail can probably go across country as fast as local, at least around here!

The snafus are at the local handling stations, I suppose.

As for the pubescens, they can be buggers to grow.
They need lots of time, and a little shade in hot weather!

Well, tray #2 is resting on top of the refrigerator. (I'm not breaking tradition - all peppers are sprouted on top of the fridge for me...)

Most of this tray is from forum members! 

I'm a little worried as last night just when I was getting started, I'd finished pouring water on the compressed peat pellets and had a monster migraine hit.

Been getting those every night, like clockwork, but usually later than last night's. 

oh well.

Problem is the peat soaked overnight and didn't expand for shit.

So I crumbled it up best I could, but it's super saturated now... dunno how that'll affect sprouting, if at all, but I figured I'd make note of it here (otherwise I'm liable to forget)

emw9iH0h.png

I have enough 10x20 and 10x10 trays now to choke a horse, next year (if money isn't as tight) I'll order the plastic propagation sheets. 

Those 72 cell burpee ones (2 10x10's 36 cell ea) were available locally w/ peat for $6.50 ea, and I only needed a couple.

Tracking costs this year, now $13

HAH! These damn cluster headaches have been so bad this winter, there were a few times I wished I was dead, man. Nasty painful sonsabitches. Worse pain than a kidney stone, by a fair margin.

I get them seasonally between Dec and mid March, ever since my motorcycle crash in 2010. I think part of my hypothalamus was damaged by the coup/contracoup injury when I took that motorcycle to the back of the head at 80mph. Had a sleep disorder ever since, along with these random winter headaches. Also had antegrade amnesia that lasted for about 3 months, and still get some words mixed up from time to time.

But I'm still alive.

Which as you said, is better than the alternative. :)

Well shit! Looks like money is going to be tight for a WHILE.

Trent Jr. got accepted to U of I Champaign-Urbana today.

(That's ~35k a year.)

My oldest daughter already claimed his room, so my hopes of taking it over as a grow room have been cut off at the pass. :)

Ok....We will give it a couple of more days, then I will send more. I sent seeds to a couple of other members on Monday as well and they have both received them. Sorry for the delay.

Oh no need to apologize man. :)

I've got time, I didn't put seeds in the dirt until Feb 22 last year and everything worked out just fine. :)

Back