• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trident's Bonnets 2016

Once again it's that time of year ... sowing miss labelling and no shows. Thank you to all that have helped me find new and obscure bonnets and hybrids. This forum generosity has been staggering and the Christmas Cards across the pond full of seed have worked well in both directions ... clone tent cleaned T5's dusted off

Firstly the usual suspects

Elysium Oxide - Mustard
Elysium Oxide - Rust
ScotchBrain F4 - Meatfreak
NeBru7
Trinidad SB x 7pot
SB Foodarama Red
SB Foodarama Yellow
MoA Yellow
SB Jamaican Yellow
SB P. Dreadie
SB Peach
SB Atomic
SB7J
SB FreePort Orange
SB Allen Boatman

New for 2016

SB Saraga Orange Short Pheno - jcw10tc/Fiogga
SB Saraga Orange Long Pheno - Fiogga
SB Jamaica Orange Long - mpicante
SB Jamaica Orange Short - mpicante
SB Yellow CCN ( Cross Country Nurseries ) - mpicante/Mr Bigglesworth
SB x TSM x Red Annuum F2 - Fiogga
SB Chocolate x Black Naga - Heefy/PepperNorth
SB Yellow x Naga Morich - HotToddy
SB Yellow Foodarama x Yellow Fatalii - Dennish
SB Schneider Farm - Pulpiteer/Romy6
SB Caramel - Romy6
SB Jamaican Long - Superhot Sim
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Red - Superhot Sim
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Chocolate - Superhot Sim
SB MoA Red - Plantguy76
SB Stuffing - Plantguy76
SB Jamaica - Mr Bigglesworth
SB x UBSC Red - Heefy
SB7J Yellow F1 - Romy6
SB7J Select - Steve Queen
2SB7J F1 - SB7J x MoA - Steve Queen
Neyde x SB7J - Chili Riot
Pimenta Leopard x SB7J
Obeah F2 - MoA x Reaper - Steve Queen
SB Mystery possible x BG - HotToddy
PA 353 - look alike Bonnet - Fiogga

Having successfully grown Borg9, UBSC Brown and Yaki last season I thought I would again grow a few hotties after a lot of thought I have chosen four ... Aji Jobito x BBG7 - Fiogga (Sandra) ... alot has been said about Aji Jobito all good things ... seed from Joe Delaney and BBG7 from Chris Phillips - would be nice if everyone included a seed/variety in this year's grow of Chris's

I am sure Sandra would not mind me posting her photograph

Well we have all heard and seen the great work "Medecins Sans Frontiers" do around the world especially in war torn areas. Sandra's daughters partner is part of Doctors Without Borders and probably whilst her daughter might say "take care" Sandra may say "If you see a chilli grab it" .. I love a story so my second hottie is simply another of hers named "DWB Columbia Red with tail"

Finally third and fourth choice "Arkansas Peach" a Sawyer Reaper variation I understand - Pulpiteer ... Moruga x Douglah - Snagglepus ... Knowing me there may well be more ... thank you for looking

Trident chilli said:
Once again it's that time of year ... sowing miss labelling and no shows. Thank you to all that have helped me find new and obscure bonnets and hybrids. This forum generosity has been staggering and the Christmas Cards across the pond full of seed have worked well in both directions ... clone tent cleaned T5's dusted off

Firstly the usual suspects

Elysium Oxide - Mustard
Elysium Oxide - Rust
ScotchBrain F4 - Meatfreak
NeBru7
Trinidad SB x 7pot
SB Foodarama Red
SB Foodarama Yellow
MoA Yellow
SB Jamaican Yellow
SB P. Dreadie
SB Peach
SB Atomic
SB7J
SB FreePort Orange
SB Allen Boatman

New for 2016

SB Saraga Orange Short Pheno - jcw10tc/Fiogga
SB Saraga Orange Long Pheno - Fiogga
SB Jamaica Orange Long - mpicante
SB Jamaica Orange Short - mpicante
SB Yellow CCN ( Cross Country Nurseries ) - mpicante/Mr Bigglesworth
SB x TSM x Red Annuum F2 - Fiogga
SB Chocolate x Black Naga - Heefy/PepperNorth
SB Yellow x Naga Morich - HotToddy
SB Yellow Foodarama x Yellow Fatalii - Dennish
SB Schneider Farm - Pulpiteer/Romy6
SB Caramel - Romy6
SB Jamaican Long - Superhot Sim
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Red - Superhot Sim
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Chocolate - Superhot Sim
SB MoA Red - Plantguy76
SB Stuffing - Plantguy76
SB Jamaica - Mr Bigglesworth
SB x UBSC Red - Heefy
SB7J Yellow F1 - Romy6
SB7J Select - Steve Queen
2SB7J F1 - SB7J x MoA - Steve Queen
Neyde x SB7J - Chili Riot
Pimenta Leopard x SB7J
Obeah F2 - MoA x Reaper - Steve Queen
SB Mystery possible x BG - HotToddy
PA 353 - look alike Bonnet - Fiogga

Having successfully grown Borg9, UBSC Brown and Yaki last season I thought I would again grow a few hotties after a lot of thought I have chosen four ... Aji Jobito x BBG7 - Fiogga (Sandra) ... alot has been said about Aji Jobito all good things ... seed from Joe Delaney and BBG7 from Chris Phillips - would be nice if everyone included a seed/variety in this year's grow of Chris's

I am sure Sandra would not mind me posting her photograph

Well we have all heard and seen the great work "Medecins Sans Frontiers" do around the world especially in war torn areas. Sandra's daughters partner is part of Doctors Without Borders and probably whilst her daughter might say "take care" Sandra may say "If you see a chilli grab it" .. I love a story so my second hottie is simply another of hers named "DWB Columbia Red with tail"

Finally third and fourth choice "Arkansas Peach" a Sawyer Reaper variation I understand - Pulpiteer ... Moruga x Douglah - Snagglepus ... Knowing me there may well be more ... thank you for looking
Is that Aji Jobito cross actually AJ x BBG7 or BBG7 x AJ? I think it is almost certainly the latter. 

"the normal usage (in plants, at least) is to show the seed parent (female) first, then the pollen parent (male)"

Outstanding list!!! Very very nice...

Love it when folks grow interesting + flavor vice HOT + HOTTER! I don't care what order that AJ x BBG7 is written...it looks amazing! Best of luck on your season, I will be looking in from time to time.
Shane

thegreenman said:
Is that Aji Jobito cross actually AJ x BBG7 or BBG7 x AJ? I think it is almost certainly the latter. 

"the normal usage (in plants, at least) is to show the seed parent (female) first, then the pollen parent (male)"
You are probably right ... the seed was sent to me by Fiogga and I posted her picture of the variety ... she would be best to answer

Devv said:
Nice list John!
I'm a bonnet fan as well ;)

Good luck this year!
Thanks Devv for taste heat and flavour I personally believe the Scotch Bonnet is up with the best ... added a few more varieties post first list ... these include Marabella Market Yellow and Red - Primo Yellow x NagaBon ( although some would say it's too removed from a bonnet)
stc3248 said:
Outstanding list!!! Very very nice...

Love it when folks grow interesting + flavor vice HOT + HOTTER! I don't care what order that AJ x BBG7 is written...it looks amazing! Best of luck on your season, I will be looking in from time to time.
Shane
Thanks Shane for looking in ... I love bonnets but try and keep my hand in with growing the odd hot/hotties ... last year were the "Borg's" ... there is something about the BBG7's such a beautiful variety

With every intension of seriously thinking about getting the poly tunnel sorted ready for the plants I was amazed to find we had had a hard frost last night .... both grow tents and south facing windowsills full of plants ....

I am a great admirer of Matthew Arthur and his creations - SBN Chocolate and Red and his Peach SB

Steve Queen's Obeah F2

Elysium Oxide SB variations

Foggia's seed selection - Aji Jobi x BBG7 - DWB ( Doctors without boundaries ) Columbian Red and her P353 which has really shot up

Finally a couple of MoA Red ( Jason Plantguy76 )

Thanks for looking in .... hope you have had a good weekend

Trident chilli said:
With every intension of seriously thinking about getting the poly tunnel sorted ready for the plants I was amazed to find we had had a hard frost last night .... both grow tents and south facing windowsills full of plants ....

I am a great admirer of Matthew Arthur and his creations - SBN Chocolate and Red and his Peach SB

Steve Queen's Obeah F2

Elysium Oxide SB variations

Foggia's seed selection - Aji Jobi x BBG7 - DWB ( Doctors without boundaries ) Columbian Red and her P353 which has really shot up

Finally a couple of MoA Red ( Jason Plantguy76 )

Thanks for looking in .... hope you have had a good weekend
John when are you planing to transplant as you know I hit germination turbulence but the red mom's & Sawyer Arkansas Peach geminated started the Red Moa SB in big contanters like yours are in & moved the two peach as young seedlings into The light green ones .
I been wondering when I should transplant or just ride it out till May.
Everything else is behind tomatoes have had good germination results & though determination I have the scotch bonnet & Baccatum Varieties with the few annuums an the two supers
I am way behind on updating ...
Your plants look supper best of luck loving this year glog

Picture perfect plants, John! I saw your list last year and that had a lot to do with my decision to grow as many SBs as I could this year. I think I have at least a half dozen right now. 
     Two of them are elysium oxides. I was only planning on keeping one, but one of them had super dark purple foliage. So I had to keep one of each to compare. I just updated my glog with pics of both. If you're familiar with the variety, could you take a look at the pics and tell me what you think? I don't know anything about this plant or what it's supposed to look like.
tia!

capsidadburn said:
Great looking plants! Very clean. I will be watching the progress.

Mike

I think I read earlier that you are the Pepperhead responsible for the eo bonnet. If that't the case, first thank you - they seem like really healthy plants! - and second could you take a look in my glog and tell me what you think of my two plants? I have one green one and one purple one. Maybe you could shed some light on the plant's genetic makeup and maybe why I got this variation. 

Thanks for your help, both of you. I'm really looking forward to comparing all my scotch bonnets this season and maybe having some novel seeds to distribute later on!

edit: My glog:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58853-hm01-2016/page-2

Chewi said:
Bout time for an update!
Rob great to hear from you ... the weather in the UK should be stable by now but unfortunately we are still getting frost .. my eldest son's birthday next Tuesday the 10th May has always been a date that my plants should start to go into the poly tunnel. This weekend we are due to get some good temperatures so hardening off will be top of my list as my wife is fed up with all south facing windowsills covered in plants. Really pleased that I have managed to keep aphids at arms length so touch wood I will have a early pest free transition to the poly tunnel

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Picture perfect plants, John! I saw your list last year and that had a lot to do with my decision to grow as many SBs as I could this year. I think I have at least a half dozen right now. 
     Two of them are elysium oxides. I was only planning on keeping one, but one of them had super dark purple foliage. So I had to keep one of each to compare. I just updated my glog with pics of both. If you're familiar with the variety, could you take a look at the pics and tell me what you think? I don't know anything about this plant or what it's supposed to look like.
tia!

Carlton pleased that you have caught the SB bug ... to me personally it's a variety that keeps pleasing. I look forward to your efforts and will follow your glog closely ... more than happy to pass onto you any seed from my grow this season in the fall ... I am always on the look out for new SB varieties including crosses even now I am planning next season's bonnet grow which will be my fourth year dedicated to the bonnet ... thanks for looking in

I think I read earlier that you are the Pepperhead responsible for the eo bonnet. If that't the case, first thank you - they seem like really healthy plants! - and second could you take a look in my glog and tell me what you think of my two plants? I have one green one and one purple one. Maybe you could shed some light on the plant's genetic makeup and maybe why I got this variation. 

Thanks for your help, both of you. I'm really looking forward to comparing all my scotch bonnets this season and maybe having some novel seeds to distribute later on!

edit: My glog:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58853-hm01-2016/page-2

I agree, need an update, I haven't been around much, but I have a section of the garden I think I am doing to name the Trident plot.  (t will be mostly bonnets and bonnet crosses, some of which I got from you.

jcw10tc said:
I agree, need an update, I haven't been around much, but I have a section of the garden I think I am doing to name the Trident plot.  (t will be mostly bonnets and bonnet crosses, some of which I got from you.
Justin if that's the plot surrounded by your new wooden fence I am impressed .... As stated above just waiting for the temperature to be more consistent as I do not have a heated green house .. here are a few photographs of plants waiting to go to the poly tunnel ...

Soaking up the sun on the draining board much to her displeasure ....

Finally Naga Morich x Scotch Bonnet pushing on roots .. was growing under the canopy of another but suffering

Back