• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trident's "It's all about the Bonnet" 2015

I am fascinated about the "Scotch Bonnet" Continuing in the same vein as my last season where I managed to grow over thirty varieties I am again keen to promote the "Scotch Bonnet" in all it's varieties and variations ... this season some new specimens to me and some old firm favourites such as SB7J and P. Dreadie ... a big thank you to those on this forum that have helped me in sourcing seed

Elysium Oxide - Mustard (SB Faria x Douglah natural colour variation) - Meatfreak
Elysium Oxide - Rust - Greg PIC1
SB x Trinidad 7pot - Superhot Sim
ScotchBrain F3 (SB Yellow x Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain) - Greg
NeBru7 (Trinidad Yellow x 7 Pot Jonah)
SB7J Grass Hut variation
SB7J Atomic Mushroom variation
SB Atomic - Snagglepuss
NagaBon - Snagglepuss
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Yellow - KD
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Red - Greg
SB Foodarama - Yellow - Superhot Sim
SB Foodarama - Red
SB Jamaican Yellow - Greg
SB Peach - Matthew Arthur
SB Peach Long
SB Bahamas Orange - Superhot Sim
SB Dominican Republic Yellow - Buckeye Pepper Company
SB P. Dreadie
SB Freeport Orange - Meatfreak
SB Chocolate - Jim Duffy
SB Yellow Flats - Matthew Arthur
SB Jamaican Farmers Market
SB Trenton Farmers Market
SB True Form - Alan Boatman
SB Indian Red
SB Aji Jamaiquino - Nicholau
SB Yellow - Reimer Seeds

Every season I challenge myself with a Superhot so this year it's

Borg 9
Borg 9 Chocolate
UBSC - Brown

Ignoring the quote "less is more" I have also invested in many varieties of Jalapeño
Including "Farmers Market Potato, Hercules , Mammoth, Señorita , El Rey, Ciclon " for this seasons UK Forum Chillis Galore Jalapeño challenge all are germinating now

SB seeds and Superhots sown 19th January this is their progress to date

The Superhot's have really taken off ... Borg and UBSC phenomenal growth

Trident chilli said:
Matthew Arthur's Peach SB which I tasted tonight made up in heat rather than in flavour. I didn't get that fruity aroma compared to other SB's however the heat lasted longer than expected.
Kinda surprised to hear this since the pods look very fruity and tasty. Good to know they at least have some heat behind them.

Your plants and pods look great, Trident -- Can't wait to see more.

Well it's been a while since I last posted an update and I am way behind in updating ... however my mobility has been challenging lately but all resolved as last weekend I had an operation and I am now the proud owner of a complete new left knee. I am sure their are others on this forum that have had that treatment so I won't bore you ...

We just haven't had the sun this summer and the night time temperature has been disappointing however pods are ripening so I am looking for a late surge. Whilst off work I am going to have a concerted attempt to send seed around the world to those that asked and I still need to get some monies to Steve

Sent the wife down the poly tunnel so here are a few pods

Trinidad SB x 7pot ( first two ripe pods - later Pheno's more bonnet shaped)

NagaBon

Bahamas Red SB

Pink Tiger - did anyone anywhere get any stripes

John, good luck with the new knee.  My dad has had his replaced twice now, but other issues at fault really.  Hows nagabon?  I have seeds for that trying to decide whether to grow or not next year.

jcw10tc said:
John, good luck with the new knee.  My dad has had his replaced twice now, but other issues at fault really.  Hows nagabon?  I have seeds for that trying to decide whether to grow or not next year.
Justin thanks for your kind words ... double replacement that's impressive I hope to get 15-20 years if I am careful ... my right knee will at some time have to be replaced - too much mountaineering in my younger days. The NagaBon is a nice variety to grow ... this season was my third attempt as before the seeds just wouldn't germinate. Early pods were what you would say a good size but as you can see in the photograph they are now much bigger. By combining the two varieties it hasn't limited its taste and flavour .. the naga itself is a wonderful pod the bonnet part just enhances it

A few good days of sunshine and the poly tunnel starts to encourage those bigger and better pods to finally ripen ... although to be honest it's not been a good British chilli growing season .. night time temperatures have been too cool. Frost is forecast for some parts of the country but I should be ok

So here are a few varieties of SB recently picked and the oddity that everyone seems to get

Clock wise - NeBru7, Not Matthew Arthur's Yellow Flats ( if you lay me on my side I am very flat pod) Trinidad SB x 7Pot, Matthew Arthur Pink SB

Clockwise - Allen Boatman True Form, MoA Red, Bahamas Red, Red Foodarama, Not Elysium Oxide - Mustard ( I am mustard but not the right Pheno)

Thank you for looking

Trident chilli said:
Alana I haven't forgotten you .... as promised I will dry the seed and forward onto you over the next week

No worries mate! I won't be planting them until next year so no rush! Oh, and my one lonely bonnet turned out to be a yellow one, I haven't harvested it yet, trying to figure out what to do with it.

Due an update and now the temperatures have really dropped at night in the UK it won't be long before the final harvests ... what is good we are still getting sunny days and an enclosed poly tunnel helps to get those stubborn pods to ripen ...

Trinidad SB x 7pot ( wIll probably save seed from top pods - although I have a single yellow pod which is intresting )

ScotcBrain at last I am getting the right shape but not the sun to enhance the pimples

The "nots" top left "West Indian Red" top right wrong shaped "NeBru7" and bottom "Yaki Brown"

NagaBon

Clockwise - SB7J (Plant 2) Aji Jamaiquino ( Dominican Republic SB Red) Jamaican Yellow ( Greg Pic1) P. Dreadie
School boy error with Greg/P.Dreadie I use a Dutch organic soil called "BioBizz all mix" underestimating the amount of nutrients already included I stupidly after week three added more. I posted a while ago a picture of Greg's Jamaican Yellow which had five lateral branches ... P. Dreadie remained stunted ... very disappointed but growing chillies is always a learning process

British grown "Borg Red 9"

Just caught up with your glog! You've had a pretty good harvest it looks like but weather played a huge part this season.
I can't remember a summer this bad for at least a good few years. I've cut down most of my plants except for those in my conservatory.
Hope your knee recovers quickly.

I've been watching your glog for most of the season & im curious--what variety was your favorite bonnet? I promised a buddy I'd grow him some bonnets for sauce so I'm curious what conclusion you came to this season

MarianneW said:
I've been watching your glog for most of the season & im curious--what variety was your favorite bonnet? I promised a buddy I'd grow him some bonnets for sauce so I'm curious what conclusion you came to this season
Thank you for your post and following my bonnet grow .... my top three at the moment are and in no particular order

SB7J - SB x 7pot Jonah created by Patrick a forum member they have a wonderful mushroom/atomic cloud shape ... makes a powerful chilli jelly and would certainly enhance a sauce

SB MoA - Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture true form bonnet .... Steve Queen contacted, negotiated and obtained this variety for the forum ... great heat and taste

Finally a yellow SB ... NeBru7 - Trinidad Yellow x 7pot Jonah created by Neil (Hippyseed Company - Australia) and his friend Brian
never fails me always produces lots of pods ... again would make a great yellow sauce

If you would like some seed please PM me

Thanks for the reply--you had quite the selection, I bet it would be hard to choose. I'm not going to plant them until Feb/March so I'll let you know if I need any seeds. Big thanks!

Really nice grow, enjoyed reading about it

Well thought I would sum up my season as winter won't be far away ... at the moment quite mild as "Abigail" dumps more rain on the UK and it's blowing hard ... least I don't have to pick up the leaves they are now down the road with neighbours

Utilising one large and two small poly tunnels I grew all varieties in a Dutch hydroponic soil "BioBizz All Mix" in 11 and 18ltr plastic containers. I remained pest free besides the odd pod which was eaten by the catapilliar of the cabbage white butterfly. Any ladybird found in the garden was carefully gathered up and placed in a tunnel

Weather is a major factor and poor old Blighty just doesn't get those Florida temperatures ... heat and humidity we don't have ... A classic example this season was to see the SB variety "ScotchBrain" in many pheno types KD had a really squat pimply pod ... Romy6 had a pod I mistook for a Yellow Naga and I had something looking like a clam

Germination overall successful but I have to blame myself for not realising just how much nutrient was embedded in the BioBizz ... week three I added more ... school boy error as it stunted some of the varieties and they never really recovered ...but growing chillies is all about learning and I now know only to add water until the flowering stage

So here is a break down:

Elysium Oxide - Mustard - growth stunted small pods
Elysium Oxide - Rust - growth stunted no pods - top of list for next season
SB x Trinidad 7pot - plenty of pods
ScotchBrain F3 (SB Yellow x Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain) - plenty of pods poor Pheno
NeBru7 (Trinidad Yellow x 7 Pot Jonah) - a firm favourite
SB7J Grass Hut variation - grew to shape
SB7J Atomic Mushroom variation - grew to shape
SB Atomic - grew to shape
NagaBon - third attempt at this variety produced large pods
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Yellow - a firm favourite
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Red - very pleased this variety remained Red as a lot went Yellow elsewhere
SB Foodarama - Yellow - failed to germinate
SB Foodarama - Red - plenty of pods great producer
SB Jamaican Yellow - Greg - stunted by too much nutrients
SB Peach - Matthew Arthur - this season's star blossomed like a Japanese cherry tree ... poor seed yield per pod
SB Peach Long - failed to germinate
SB Bahamas Orange - grew as expected plenty of pods but small
SB Dominican Republic Yellow - Buckeye Pepper Company - stunted/ small pods
SB P. Dreadie - small squat plant elongated pods
SB Freeport Orange - Beautiful pink pods nothing like Meatfreak's
SB Chocolate - Jim Duffy - lost after re-potting
SB Yellow Flats - Matthew Arthur - turned out to be a tall monster producing red flat pods similar to "paper lantern"
SB Jamaican Farmers Market - grew to form
SB Trenton Farmers Market - grew to form
SB True Form - Alan Boatman - another favourite lots of pods
SB Indian Red - plenty of pods but grew yellow instead of Red
SB Aji Jamaiquino - grew to form
SB Yellow - Reimer Seeds - turned out to be Orange Hab

Borg 9 - lots of pods
Borg 9 Chocolate - my largest plant by far ... two flushes of flowers .. not a single pod
UBSC - Brown - lots of pods
Yaki Brown - plenty of pods but red

This was my first glog on the forum so thanks for all that gave advice and you for looking. Your generosity will allow me to continue growing as more obscure Scotch Bonnets and SB hybrids have arrived on my door step .. To those that I have promised seed they are on there way

Looking forward to 2016

This was a great Glog John :dance: 
I am looking forward to next years ;) 
These pics are of red moa scotch bonnet I call it the apple pheno
I did not save seeds but I have over wintered the plant & will save seed if it produces this again.
I would of saved seed but at the end of the season for some reason it started to produce a different pheno type closer to a bonnet but not quite there.
The production was slow but hoping that it will be better next year I will send you seed if I get the apple pheno again.
I have Trinidad Brown Scotch Bonnet seeds form Judy that I will send plenty of moa yellow some form wicked mike & Some of my own plus some left over form the seed judy sent.
I can also send some seeds that I ordered form puckerbutt  .
I also have seed taken form peach Bhut Jolokia SS open pollenated fat pheno :high: 
I personally think the peach ghost ss would be a good cross with a bonnet the flavor is awesome in a pepper jelly :fireball:  :dance: 

Back