• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trident's "It's all about the Bonnet" 2015

I am fascinated about the "Scotch Bonnet" Continuing in the same vein as my last season where I managed to grow over thirty varieties I am again keen to promote the "Scotch Bonnet" in all it's varieties and variations ... this season some new specimens to me and some old firm favourites such as SB7J and P. Dreadie ... a big thank you to those on this forum that have helped me in sourcing seed

Elysium Oxide - Mustard (SB Faria x Douglah natural colour variation) - Meatfreak
Elysium Oxide - Rust - Greg PIC1
SB x Trinidad 7pot - Superhot Sim
ScotchBrain F3 (SB Yellow x Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain) - Greg
NeBru7 (Trinidad Yellow x 7 Pot Jonah)
SB7J Grass Hut variation
SB7J Atomic Mushroom variation
SB Atomic - Snagglepuss
NagaBon - Snagglepuss
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Yellow - KD
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Red - Greg
SB Foodarama - Yellow - Superhot Sim
SB Foodarama - Red
SB Jamaican Yellow - Greg
SB Peach - Matthew Arthur
SB Peach Long
SB Bahamas Orange - Superhot Sim
SB Dominican Republic Yellow - Buckeye Pepper Company
SB P. Dreadie
SB Freeport Orange - Meatfreak
SB Chocolate - Jim Duffy
SB Yellow Flats - Matthew Arthur
SB Jamaican Farmers Market
SB Trenton Farmers Market
SB True Form - Alan Boatman
SB Indian Red
SB Aji Jamaiquino - Nicholau
SB Yellow - Reimer Seeds

Every season I challenge myself with a Superhot so this year it's

Borg 9
Borg 9 Chocolate
UBSC - Brown

Ignoring the quote "less is more" I have also invested in many varieties of Jalapeño
Including "Farmers Market Potato, Hercules , Mammoth, Señorita , El Rey, Ciclon " for this seasons UK Forum Chillis Galore Jalapeño challenge all are germinating now

SB seeds and Superhots sown 19th January this is their progress to date

The Superhot's have really taken off ... Borg and UBSC phenomenal growth

Been trying to figure out what pheno I will get on my SB7J'S form looking at your picks the nearest one is the mushroom pheno but there still different .
The middle one is a runt but is slowly starting to grow it seems like its growth habitat is going to be different.
Your plants are beautiful can't wait to see pods.

Plantguy76 said:
Been trying to figure out what pheno I will get on my SB7J'S form looking at your picks the nearest one is the mushroom pheno but there still different .
The middle one is a runt but is slowly starting to grow it seems like its growth habitat is going to be different.
Your plants are beautiful can't wait to see pods.
Jason last season when I grew the SB7J off the single plant it gave me both variations of shape .... grass hut and mushroom. I saved seed from both and have grown them out this year. Sent to me last season was a packet that just said "Atomic SB" these produced three poor pods. I scoured the net looking for anything in reference to Atomic and eventually found a post by Dulac a forum member who named his mushroom shaped pods Atomic

I may well have some of his original seed but this season's Atomic plant is producing I believe those shaped pods. Although tiddlers at the moment

Guitarman said:
Great looking plants, Scotch Bonnets are definitely worth a try in a life. And you are doing a really good job in growing them, congratulations!
Thank you personally I believe for taste and flavour you can't beat the Scotch Bonnet. I just find it fascinating that there are so many varieties and my goal is to try and grow them all

Scorched said:
Plants are looking really great. Just got caught up. So far behind on all the glogs I'm following
thank you for looking ... the weather in the UK has greatly improved over the last week and the temperatures are again set to rise this week as the hot air arrives from Spain. Almost all have set their flowers except for my stubborn superhots Borg and Chocolate Borg.

Looking good dude.
I managed to avoid sunburn this year, I learnt my lesson last year, but as you said when the english sun shows its face its hard to resist getting the plants out. They are saying its gonna be 30c some time next week!

Whats your favorite SB for flavor? Not heat but a varity you could just eat on its own?

PaulS said:
Looking good dude.
I managed to avoid sunburn this year, I learnt my lesson last year, but as you said when the english sun shows its face its hard to resist getting the plants out. They are saying its gonna be 30c some time next week!

Whats your favorite SB for flavor? Not heat but a varity you could just eat on its own?
Paul it has to be the "MoA Yellow" wonderful fruity flavour with a great aroma ... yes we certainly need this spell of good weather to continue most of the sunburnt leaves have fallen my poor "Pink Tiger" still has variegated leaves with white blotches ... hey maybe the stress will produce those elusive stripes

Trident chilli said:
Paul it has to be the "MoA Yellow" wonderful fruity flavour with a great aroma ... yes we certainly need this spell of good weather to continue most of the sunburnt leaves have fallen my poor "Pink Tiger" still has variegated leaves with white blotches ... hey maybe the stress will produce those elusive stripes

Sounds good, I might have to buy a few seeds from you for next year.
I found that all my Neyde crosses, p.tiger etc, were the most hardy, there leaves didnt curl at all and they didnt get sun burn at all. Strange
Are you going to any local chilli festivals this summer?

PaulS said:
Sounds good, I might have to buy a few seeds from you for next year.
I found that all my Neyde crosses, p.tiger etc, were the most hardy, there leaves didnt curl at all and they didnt get sun burn at all. Strange
Are you going to any local chilli festivals this summer?
Grow tent to full sun didn't work ... school boy error on my front .. should have known better .. local festivals I normally give a miss as the plants for sale are at an astronomical price ... West Dean 7-9th August I always attend one of the biggest in the UK
romy6 said:
Everything looks splendid John . Keep up the good work
Thanks Jamie .. my "Atomic SB" has the right squashed pod shape so fingers crossed it produces some good looking and tasty pods

The weather in the UK has over the past week has been good and the plants have started to push on. Superhots dragging their heels especially UBSC -Brown, Borg and Chocolate Borg although I do have a chocolate tiddler pod .... SB all with flowers and most have pods although immature at the moment

Aji Jamaiquino - Domincan Republic

NagaBon

NeBru7

West Indian Red - Select

Atomic SB

Free Port Orange

ScotchBrain F3 trying to get narly

Peach SB - Matthew Arthur creation

Plantguy76 said:
Beautiful plants & pods John looking real healthy
Thank you Jason to be honest I have been lucky this season with pests my only downfall was introducing plants from the grow tent to early to full sun. Note to self - partial shade required

mpicante said:
John very nice looking pods your pop plants as always STRONG AND HEALTHY!
Florisa I have to thank the quality of the seed and as most has come from the States it's a big thank you to those that have helped me with my Scotch Bonnet journey

az1000 said:
Very nice . Nebru  has great  taste and heat.  Will always be on my
list
Nicolau slight disappointment in colour ... last season I grew perfect Yellow these seem to have an Orange tint however a truely great variety in both taste and heat

Hey John today I was looking at my moa bonnet plants on one plant I seen that one is almost ripe
Well I looked at this one other plant & I got my first ripe pod & it was peach rough with bumps.
I don't know if this is a natural variant or some accidental cross with something of Judy's
I seem to remember you mentioning that this happened to someone you know & that you are growing that variant ?

Plantguy76 said:
Hey John today I was looking at my moa bonnet plants on one plant I seen that one is almost ripe
Well I looked at this one other plant & I got my first ripe pod & it was peach rough with bumps.
I don't know if this is a natural variant or some accidental cross with something of Judy's
I seem to remember you mentioning that this happened to someone you know & that you are growing that variant ?
Peach rough with bumps ... that sounds great .. I am growing P. Dreadie however I do not have his select bonnets a picture is posted earlier in my glog of his select pod like yours bumps and spikes. I also grew a Trenton Farmers Market which also was spiked ... another new variety ... please save me some seed
Small harvest of tiddlers to encourage the others to push on growth

One o'clock- NeBru7 not as yellow as I wanted
Four o'clock- PIC1 Greg Chicargo Yellow Selects
Seven o'clock- Free Port Orange
Nine o'clock- Atomic SB disappointed like romy6 that these are a yellow variation

Nice looking pods.  Let me know what you think of Nebru 7.  Wanted to grow that one this year, sure looked good.  Really favor the yellows these days.  That Orange one looks nice also.  Is this the expected size or they just early pods?

Back