• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa and the better late then never New Zealand Summer

So things have been slow ...I have been slow to get things going with my plants... Summer has officially arrived weather wise in the last week only to officially finish technically in 2 days time ... Its been cool and wet ...

My glasshouse after some wild winds combined with UV damage on old plastic has rendered it useless for now.

I had a few overwinters which I planted out. A few overwinters which are still in little pots which are finally away now. And a few new plants outside as well.

All in all I will be lucky to get any ripe pods this year. (Although plans are afoot for some lights and DWC buckets for an experimental winter grow for this hydroponic vigin [emoji1] )

List of current plants:
Chinense:

7 pot Primo x 2
Douglah 'Alphanerdz'
Bih Jolokia x 2
7 pot Yellow x 2
7 pot White
7 pot Bubblegum
White Fatalii
Yellow Fatalii
Yellow Bhut Jolokia x Fatalii f3
Bahamian Goat
Bhut jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut jolokia peach
Jonahs Yellow Brain
Nebru
My own cross as F3 x2
My own cross as F5 x 4
Scotch Bonnet Choc
Scotch Bonnet TFM
1 unknown I lost the label on

Pubescens:

Aji Oro
Ecuadorian Sweet x 2
Costa Rican Red
Red Rocoto Peruvian MKT (Paul G) x2

Annuums:

Hot Fish pepper
Jalapeño 'cracked'
Albanian Red hot
Cumra Cherry
Pasilo Bajio (spelling?)

Edit: more to come just have to actually see what I have and take some snaps

Good to see you hanging in there, Tristen!  You've had
a challenging season, for sure. Nice to see some ripe
pods coming your way - here's good thoughts about
a prolonged mild stretch of weather for your neighborhood!  

Things are starting to pick up momentum here, we've had
some nice weather and are in a cooler 3-4 day stretch now,
then back to a few days of nice weather again.  About time  :cool: 
The plants are starting to green up from the pasty yellow color
they acquired during the cloudy rainy weather.

Trippa said:
Cheers Sim ... Yeah better then expected to be honest ... Loving having fresh hot chilli's about the place again!!
Cheers Devv .... Yeah they are holding in there ... The pubescens plants themselves haven't even looked ruffled by the cooler weather amazingly ... Hopefully all the green pods can hold on for a bit and ripen ... There are quite a few there
Cheers bro! Yeah i feel very lucky on both counts!
Hey Rick. Yeah the adage here is ... Plant on the shortest day and harvest after the longest day ... Apparently the cooler weather over winter and spring encourage bigger bulbs to form and increase the flavour. I think you can harvest whenever you think they are ready after that point.
I am planting a little earlier this year as most people do to get them away and growing before the colder weather really kicks in
Yeah up to nine months but anywhere from 6-7 is fine ... Yeah winter solstice (June 21) until summer solstice (December 22) minimum here but most let them kick on until summer proper Jan/Feb

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Sounds like here... We plant the middle to the end of October and harvest in July or August when the tops die. I planted two hardneck varieties... Chesnuk Red and White German Porcelain.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Trippa said:
Cheers Sim ... Yeah better then expected to be honest ... Loving having fresh hot chilli's about the place again!!
Cheers Devv .... Yeah they are holding in there ... The pubescens plants themselves haven't even looked ruffled by the cooler weather amazingly ... Hopefully all the green pods can hold on for a bit and ripen ... There are quite a few there
Did you have any luck with the Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto fruit in June or July?

Hey, Tristen!  How's it going, buddy?

The PDN cross plants in the #3 pots are just
beautiful; setting lots of nice phenotype pods,
along with a few interesting ones.  I wonder if
it picked up a stray gene last season?  I will
save seed for the global grow from the best
pods only!  Any luck with yours?  I'll try to get
a few more pics up on the PDNxBonda thread.
Hard to even go out and take pics in this heat
(109 in the back yard yesterday, heading higher
today.)  Balls!

I hope the weather mellows bit for you - Guess you're
getting closer to early Spring every day ;)  

My Pubescens which have struggled through the first 2 months of winter ... Still ripening pods throughout .... Hoping the plants survive and I can get a head start on the new season with them ... Most of the Chinense are done for though I think ....
7a6e785416d4f2c0f9567731aee45c3d.jpg
86eba0b740d081677af41e17290ab216.jpg
cb31ddca0619858acadab19c2fa23b74.jpg

Plus a gratuitous shot of my young garlic plants (yes they are there among the weeds) ... Pretty good strike on them ... Looking at hopefully pulling 100 bulbs of softneck garlic up in 4-5 months time

PaulG said:
Hey, Tristen!  How's it going, buddy?

The PDN cross plants in the #3 pots are just
beautiful; setting lots of nice phenotype pods,
along with a few interesting ones.  I wonder if
it picked up a stray gene last season?  I will
save seed for the global grow from the best
pods only!  Any luck with yours?  I'll try to get
a few more pics up on the PDNxBonda thread.
Hard to even go out and take pics in this heat
(109 in the back yard yesterday, heading higher
today.)  Balls!

I hope the weather mellows bit for you - Guess you're
getting closer to early Spring every day ;)  
That's awesome Paul !! Not much luck with mine at all ... One plant just collapsed and died (I think it got too cold in the root zone and got root rot) and the others are looking very sad (possibly going the same way). ... Don't fret though I have plans afoot ... Will keep you posted brother!

Trippa said:
My Pubescens which have struggled through the first 2 months of winter ... Still ripening pods throughout .... Hoping the plants survive and I can get a head start on the new season with them ... Most of the Chinense are done for though I think ....
Harvesting some of the ripe fruit may reduce the strain on the plants and give them a better chance. I have some late flushes on various C. pubescens that only started ripening this past week too. There's a bit of a race against the rain that sometimes results in split fruit.

Is the Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto in the second photo?

harry said:
Harvesting some of the ripe fruit may reduce the strain on the plants and give them a better chance. I have some late flushes on various C. pubescens that only started ripening this past week too. There's a bit of a race against the rain that sometimes results in split fruit.

Is the Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto in the second photo?
Yeah that's the one .... Sorry The second photo is the Ecuadorian sweet and the first the Costa Rican red ....

Some lovely looking ripe rocoto pods there Tristan, loom pretty loaded. I agree as well pick the ripe fruit will lessen the strain on the plants, might push the other pods to ripen up.
Job well done mg friend.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Trippa said:
Yeah that's the one .... Sorry The second photo is the Ecuadorian sweet and the first the Costa Rican red ....
Have you compared the heat of two by eating a ripe fruit from the Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto and the Costa Rican Red Rocoto that ripened over the same period of time? Perhaps by eating one with lunch and then the other with dinner?

Hey, Tristen, those Rocotos look great - that's great production.

Mine are the peruvian variety, but of all the pubescens, they are
the most robust and productive.  I will probably limit my pubescens
grows to those since they do well in this climate. My two orange
manzanos set one pod each during the first round, but there are a
few more pods setting now, even with the heat we're having.

Can't wait to hear your mad plans for the PDN cross...  BTW, did y
ou send any F3 or other F(x) seeds?  I haven't received any, and I
kind of forgot about it.  Sorry.

Hi Tristan! Nice to see some color on your Pubiscens chiles and garlic coming along. [emoji106]

I'm finally getting some good-sized pods on my Alphanerdz Douglah, though it'll probably take at least 2-3 weeks more for them to color up.

Take care!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

harry said:
Did the Rocoto plants make it through the winter?
Yeah they sure did ... Ripened all the way through ... Still some ripening now ... Harvested a couple of good bags of chillis off mid winter ... And they are all currently re-shooting ... Need a good trim and feed and they will be away
b8ed26cafafb4d6a0f5e9131cfcd68e6.jpg

harry said:
Did the Ecuadorian sweet Rocoto end up producing milder fruit than the other Rocoto?
... Totally different shapes but similar taste and a lesser heat on the Ecuadorian sweet ... I prefer the Costa Rican red for both heat and flavour ... And bigger more prolific fruit ... Its a winner

Back