• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2011/2012 Grow log....

Over the coming days I will be attempting to log my grow so far.

It won't be as big and spectacular as most peoples here (in fact it isn't big or spectacular) but I am proud of what I have done so far with my very limited space and love my chilli's (I am sure) as much as the next person.

I have had a few small problems so far but a Massive thank you has to go out for the help so far from people like Nova, Gas, JR, Micca, Wildfire in helping me get started on growing something other then long red cayennes or other common types and answering my many questions and the generous man JR with his huge contribution to my seed stocks.

Like I said this will be an ongoing process to get this thread up to speed so bear with me while I populate the pages over the coming days ...

I just have the one plant of the Scotch Bonnet TFM. I did have 2 but gave the other plant to one of my mates for his chilli Corner in his garden along with a few other types.

They are actually all ripening to a bright vibrant yellow colour at the moment and most/all of the pods look very similar to those in the pictures. They are good sized pods in my opinion as well. (I don't have much of a comparison for scotch bonnet pods but they are larger then I expected)

I will check with my friend to see if his are producing yet and what shape and size they are.

Potawie's first post in his Scotch Bonnet TFM thread shows the variation in shape and size of the pods.

Always great fun to see what's growing in your garden, trippa!
Your podage is among the best!

Ok time for another update with some more photos.

Not much to report on the plant health, except they are bouncing back a little from where they were 2-3 weeks ago. I found a couple of thrips hanging about on 2-3 plants but only 2-3 so I am not too concerned.

I found I have some weird looking larvae of some description as well on 2-3 plants which I am pretty sure are thrip larvae and need to get the hell out of my garden!! Not too many just yet but enough (when coupled with the mites) to make my plant health less then optimal. Its a tough gig at the moment but the rewards and happiness it brings have outweighed the work so thats all that matters to me really.

Right onto some photos. Will post some now and another lot once someone else has posted (due to the image post limit)

IMG_2809.JPG

Scotch Bonnet TFM (The Pod with the stinger)

IMG_2810.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. (Well I am pretty sure its not but thats what it was supposed to be all I know is that it has a massive amount of yellow cap oil in it even when very green and an amazing fruit flavour maybe a 7pot/pod??)

IMG_2796.JPG

Bahamian Goat Pepper pods. Gnarly looking peachy/orange colour

IMG_2788.JPG

Super Chilli's all ready (and some well past ready) for the picking

IMG_2768.JPG

Yellow 7pot/pod

IMG_2818.JPG

Black Pearl

IMG_2783.JPG

Bishops Crown

IMG_2805.JPG

Purple Flash

IMG_2817.JPG

Goats Weed

IMG_2792.JPG

Bhut Jolokia "Assam"

More soon ... as if you need it . Hope you have enjoyed so far.

Thanks SS!! And double thanks as Now I can post some more pics :D

IMG_2802.JPG

Scotch Bonnet TFM

IMG_2807.JPG

Explosive Ember

IMG_2797.JPG

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (All the pods are quite small on this plant and there aren't that many .... don't know if that is normal or not?? )

IMG_2782.JPG

Some of my Younger seedlings Douglah (Alphanerdz Strain) at front, right is my daughters super chilli F2's, and the ones on the left and back are both Dedo De Moca

IMG_2779.JPG

First Flower on my 'Wild Brazil'

IMG_2829.JPG

Another 'Wild Brazil' seedling from Pepperlover seeds, lots of very early side branching

IMG_2781.JPG

Another bunch of seedlings including fatalii, Wild Brazil, Amish Bush, and CGN (somenumbers I should really learn)

IMG_2812.JPG

Another Trinidad Scorpion Butch T??? (or something)

IMG_2799.JPG

Black Pearl..... Again

Love the goats weed. That will be on my list next year. Cool looking plant. Are they any good to eat... hot at all?

Yeah they are fairly hot (grow very easily mine are in tiny pots and they still seem to do well) not much flavour... really just a sharp spicy/savoury flavour that stings. Cool plant through and well worth growing in my opinion.

I think the NTR (One of Hippyseedcompany's own variety) is probably one of favourites in terms of flavour and the great combination with thai and Indian food as well (could be much hotter for me personally but still has a medium heat so you can feel it somewhat)

Once again.....and again....award winning photos!
I really like the look of those "Goat's". This is my 1st yr of growing them and I'm curious to hear if it tastes more "Bonnish or Habish?"
The "Wild Brazil" looks like it can have that "wild and crazy" growth habit. I grew an Hawaiian Thai last year that went "nuts" at the end of the season. It hit 2 metre's tall and branched out in every direction. The very top of the plant had 5 chili's together pointing up, it looked like a hand reaching for the "sun"..............ha
Good luck with your future harvest(s)

Greg

Once again.....and again....award winning photos!
I really like the look of those "Goat's". This is my 1st yr of growing them and I'm curious to hear if it tastes more "Bonnish or Habish?"
The "Wild Brazil" looks like it can have that "wild and crazy" growth habit. I grew an Hawaiian Thai last year that went "nuts" at the end of the season. It hit 2 metre's tall and branched out in every direction. The very top of the plant had 5 chili's together pointing up, it looked like a hand reaching for the "sun"..............ha
Good luck with your future harvest(s)

Greg

Thanks for stopping by and the compliments Greg!! Yeah It certainly looks like it is going to be a crazy growth habit.
I haven't actually tasted the Bahamian Goat peppers yet but they have just been picked and I am now going to post another bunch of photos of the harvest ... sorry in advance for the bandwidth usage !!!

I hope you enjoy the next photos ...

Love the goats weed. That will be on my list next year. Cool looking plant. Are they any good to eat... hot at all?

I have a few Goat's Weed plants and have tasted one pod thus far. The pod surprised me by being having a bigger impact heat wise than some of the C. Chinense varieties I grow. It had the common C Annuum flavour plus sweetness.

IMG_2912.JPG

Scotch Bonnet "TFM" Harvested pods

IMG_2905.JPG

Bahamian Goat Peppers (Harvested today)

IMG_2896.JPG

Bhut Jolokia "Assam" Pods

IMG_2892.JPG

Choc Habs, SB TFM's and Yellow 7pot/pods

IMG_2881.JPG

Choc Habs

IMG_2797.JPG

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (All the pods are quite small on this plant and there aren't that many .... don't know if that is normal or not?? )

The Chocolate Bhut plant here has some of the biggest C. Chinense pods that I have seen among all of my plants. Large, bumpy scary looking pods.

IMG_2857.JPG

Scotch Bonnet "TFM" (the one with the stinger)

IMG_2872.JPG

Bahamian Goat Pepper Pods

IMG_2877.JPG

Bhut Jolokia "Assam" (The baby bird pod)

IMG_2875.JPG

Yellow 7pot/pods

IMG_2878.JPG

Bhut Jolokia "Assam" Pods (at back in middle in focus I hope!)

IMG_2879.JPG

Cheiro Do Norte and White Peruvian Hab pods (at front in corner)

IMG_2862.JPG

Scotch Bonnet "TFM"'s again

I love the stringers on those bonnets. Are there any more on the plant with the thin or fat stinger?

Yeah they look cool ay?? I will definitely try to save the seeds from the stinger pods to see if any genetic stinger tendencies get passed onto the next generation.
Umm I am not sure if there are any others like it at the moment to be honest as they are all obscured by leaves and I didn't take as much notice of there growth because they were later developing then the ones I just harvested. I will take another look tomorrow for you harry (if they aren't washed away with all this rain) and by the way thanks for stopping by.

Cheers for the info regarding the choc bhuts as well, I think my choc bhuts are a little bit stunted due to the mite issues I have been having.

Yeah they look cool ay?? I will definitely try to save the seeds from the stinger pods to see if any genetic stinger tendencies get passed onto the next generation.
Umm I am not sure if there are any others like it at the moment to be honest as they are all obscured by leaves and I didn't take as much notice of there growth because they were later developing then the ones I just harvested. I will take another look tomorrow for you harry (if they aren't washed away with all this rain) and by the way thanks for stopping by.

Cheers for the info regarding the choc bhuts as well, I think my choc bhuts are a little bit stunted due to the mite issues I have been having.

The way to select for the stinger would be to only grow out the seeds from the plants that produce more pods with stingers than the other plants of the same variety. I'll ponder having a crack at it if one of my 5 plants manages to produce more stingers than the rest.

I think it's definitely worth having a go at growing as many plants as you have space for next season to see how many produce the stingers.

I noticed the Yellow 7s have a bonnet like shape to boot.

Last couple of pics for the week (unless I get inspired again to get some shots of something weird and wonderful ;) like cut open pods :D )

IMG_2868.JPG

Most of today's harvest (minus a bowl of Bishop Crown's and Purple Tigers)

IMG_2869.JPG

And another pic of the harvest (not much compared with most people here but I am happy enough with my balcony bounty so far)
Included in these pods are the following types: Bhut Jolokia Assam, Choc Habs, White Peruvian Habs, Bishop Crowns, Yellow 7pot/pods, Bahamian Goat Peppers, NTR's, Goats Weed, Cheiro Do Norte, Aji Lemon, Scotch Bonnet 'TFM's, Purple Tiger, and Super Chilli's

Thanks for everyone who has stopped by for another bombardment of photos again ... and I hope you enjoyed as much as I did bringing it to you.

Cheers
Trippa

Got a few too many fresh pods for my own use so I will be dropping a few to friends and might also try to get my hands on a smoke box today. If not some will be frozen and some eaten fresh and hopefully some made into some sauces ( I especially want make some jerk sauce)

Back