• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

PeriPeri said:
Good news on the seedlings/plants. Sounds like things are shaping up and them nasty bugs are in the rear view mirror. Fantastic news!
I just repotted your version of the Hp22b ... Its looking the healthiest of the lot ... Will hopefully see some pods late April at this stage.

Sorry to hear the mites are trying to make a comeback, Tristen.
Gotta be frustrating!  Hope your latest strategy does the job for you.

Your Bird'sEye seedlings, both in the aerogarden and in the 18 oz. cup,
are doing great - Looks to be a quick grower!  The Mystery crosses
are growing fast too.

Trippa said:
I just repotted your version of the Hp22b ... Its looking the healthiest of the lot ... Will hopefully see some pods late April at this stage.
Hi Trippa, yea I had a good batch of seeds on my Reaper plants, they came out perfect with the phenotypes. Having said this, the two OW plants from last season are totally different this year. Pods are small and have very few tails this season. Lots more pods on the go... maybe they will get bigger and tails as the season progresses!

I've been busy and been slacking this week. Having a new well dug and other things going on.

Sorry to read about mites! I hate them! I'm dealing with Aphids, in 25 years here never seen them before. I guess they like peppers.

Glad to see the kids cooking, I feel it's an important skill to learn. 

Good luck with the critters!

Well my plants are still recovering nicely at this stage .... Have my second ever pod from my own mystery cross f1 growing finally after mites put pay to any real harvests before ... Will take some photos some time ... Pretty cool looking pods I think .... Had a few new arrivals pop up 3 Korean Gochu and my first f2 from my cross and long red sweet HTMs joined the party ... ...all the new pot ups are finding there feet and loving their new shoes by the looks

PaulG said:
Sorry to hear the mites are trying to make a comeback, Tristen.
Gotta be frustrating!  Hope your latest strategy does the job for you.

Your Bird'sEye seedlings, both in the aerogarden and in the 18 oz. cup,
are doing great - Looks to be a quick grower!  The Mystery crosses
are growing fast too.
Yeah its frustrating but its the joy/tragedy/challenge/advantage of living in this climate ... gotta take the fungal issues with the humidity and the pests to boot!!  Its a trade off of having an elongated (all year round) grow.

They (broad mites) are (almost 2 weeks to the day) starting to effect a couple of plants again in the past 2 days ... actually visibly infested on tips of at least 3 plants (but only on part of them so far) if I hit them again tonight with wettable sulphur and pyrethrin mix again I should get another 2 week growth period out of them.  Looks like it will be a ongoing issue/control method until I can sort out such robust genetics that they are no longer effected :D

Got a shot of that Mystery cross ;) pod to show you too ... just uploading now

PeriPeri said:
Hi Trippa, yea I had a good batch of seeds on my Reaper plants, they came out perfect with the phenotypes. Having said this, the two OW plants from last season are totally different this year. Pods are small and have very few tails this season. Lots more pods on the go... maybe they will get bigger and tails as the season progresses!
Your reaper is still looking good Lourens!!  And the two I culled when potting up I chucked into water and they are pushing out roots now so I have 3 of yours and 2-3 of King Denniz reapers 

Devv said:
I've been busy and been slacking this week. Having a new well dug and other things going on.

Sorry to read about mites! I hate them! I'm dealing with Aphids, in 25 years here never seen them before. I guess they like peppers.

Glad to see the kids cooking, I feel it's an important skill to learn. 

Good luck with the critters!
Cheers Devv!

Yeah the Mites and pests certainly are a pain to deal with ... but where would the challenge be if it was all plain sailing eh?? ;) :D

I would rather have your aphid issues then my mites ... if only for a change :D

A few pictures from my slowly recovering garden ... its been 4 months of Mite battles and a few plants have fallen but miraculously many have survived and after some new pots are actually looking ok

Birdseye+HTM+finally+got+over+the+mites.JPG

Birdseye+HTM.JPG

Birdseye HTM

Chco+Habenero+-+mite+signs+showing.JPG

Choc Habenero pod (Jungle Rain originally) great version of it with a red hue when cut open and a very rich taste ... you can actually see some new mite damage (they will be slaughtered tonight! ) on the leaf just above the stem node
fatalii+white.JPG

Fatalii White (Gnslngr) ... really looking forward to this one hopefully setting pods ... its really bounced back from quite a dire look only a month ago

The flowers at the bottom of the shot are actually a Jays Peach Ghost f4 ... which I have just found mites on one branch of ...

Peri+Peri%2527s+version+of+the+Hp22B.JPG

Peri Peri's (lourens) version of the Hp22B .... it has been a great grower since I potted it up 2 weeks ago and got rid of a double mite/aphid issue on it around a month ago

Trippas+Mystery+Cross+Pod+f1.JPG
\
My (Trippa's) Mystery Cross f1 pod (only the second one ever due to the mites running the show over here in the early and middle part of the season) ... very tasty pods once fully ripe and quite thick walled compared with either parent ... will turn a bright red on ripening

PeriPeri said:
Your Birdsey is looking good Trippa - and so do your other plants. Looks like you have faught and won the battle!
Yeah they are much better then they were 2 weeks ago ... so much better ... I have won the battle but the war still rages and another major offensive is taking place tonight .... I am attempting to outflank them before they can regroup ... some heavy howitzers are being placed as we speak .... :D

Multiple shells of pyrethrum and wettable sulphur launched at the enemy tonight ... Hopefully takes out a good portion of the remaining guerillas dug in on the fringes of the plants ... I won't be using the pyrethrum again if I can help it this season. The wettable sulphur will be an every 2-3 week proposition if I see new damage..alternated with Epsom salts and seaweed extract ... It means I have to add new microbiology to the soil every 2-3 weeks to replenish the top soil ... Bit of a hassle bit worth it for the pods ...

Trippa said:
Yeah they are much better then they were 2 weeks ago ... so much better ... I have won the battle but the war still rages and another major offensive is taking place tonight .... I am attempting to outflank them before they can regroup ... some heavy howitzers are being placed as we speak .... :D
There's the spirit! I say Corporal - an extra ration of Rum for that man! Carry on... But lets stay within the realms of the Geneva Convention - no napalm!

stickman said:
Hi Trippa,
   The survivors of the Mite Wars are looking very good to my eyes, and the pods too. Keep on truckin' mate!
Cheers Rick !! Yeah I feel vindictated that my systems in place for my plants/soil are on track and have been for a while and the only reason I am not getting good results is the pests severely checking the plant health. Its unfortunate I don't have more room to create habitat for good bugs to control the pests ... One day maybe!!

Your survivors look great, Tristen.  I guess the old saw is
true - what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger!

The F1 pod looks gnarly awesome!  I can't wait to see
pods on the ones I have growing - in about 6 months!

PaulG said:
Your survivors look great, Tristen.  I guess the old saw is
true - what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger!

The F1 pod looks gnarly awesome!  I can't wait to see
pods on the ones I have growing - in about 6 months!
Thanks Paul!! Yeah all the plant stress should also make the pods I am getting that little bit hotter as well ... So there is a bonus!!

I think you will get pods on those mystery crosses much sooner then that ... Mine podded up very early on ... Before practically anything else ( even before the great mite war of 2013/2014 kicked off proper ;) )

Trippa said:
Thanks Paul!! Yeah all the plant stress should also make the pods I am getting that little bit hotter as well ... So there is a bonus!!
The glass is indeed half full, my friend   ;) 
I think you will get pods on those mystery crosses much sooner then that ... Mine podded up very early on ... Before practically anything else ( even before the great mite war of 2013/2014 kicked off proper ;) )

That's good news, Tristen!  They are very robust starts; healthy and growing fast.

PaulG said:
That's good news, Tristen!  They are very robust starts; healthy and growing fast.
Yeah glass half full is the only way I can stay sane with this seasons grow Paul!!

All of your starts are healthy and growing well!!

Mine looked a little sad this morning all speckled with white sulphur residue ... But the same thing happened last time .. Lost a few little leaves last time but no major issues ... And perfect weather again for the remaining week ... Highs of 28C and lows of 20C ... So they should bounce back nicely

Trippa said:
Yeah its frustrating but its the joy/tragedy/challenge/advantage of living in this climate ... gotta take the fungal issues with the humidity and the pests to boot!!  Its a trade off of having an elongated (all year round) grow.

Yeah the Mites and pests certainly are a pain to deal with ... but where would the challenge be if it was all plain sailing eh?? ;) :D

I would rather have your aphid issues then my mites ... if only for a change :D
agreed. Have to take the bad w/ the good. You are doing all that can be done to mitigate so that is that. As others said, many of your plants have a healthy colour to them & that would be due to your vigilance & persistence. I try to stay vigilant w/ my grows as well.

Back