• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Cartz said:
How about the cyclonic wind this past week Tripp! I've already suffered casualties, so I hope you are faring better than I am
Yeah its been a beearch alright ... Luckily for me its been in the right direction and I have only been getting the swirling buffeting wind not the direct stuff otherwise I would have certainly had casualties. I am going to be shifting 5 or so plants to some new homes on the south facing balcony ... They will need to be staked as that side is much more exposed to south, east and Westerly winds with nothing to break them ... But they should also do better with better light levels ... Here's hoping anyway!"

Just put down 6 varieties of seeds to soak overnight in chamomile tea to be planted in jiffy pellets tomorrow night (not going to bother with heating tray/mat it should be warm enough up high in our apartment)
So my first hit fish pepper has died of constant mite attacks... So i soaked some more of them... And the rest are as follows :
Korean Gochu - Stickman
Scotch Bonnet TFM (large pod) Paul G via myself via Jungle Rain
Rooster Spur - Gasificada
My own mystery (for now) cross - f2
Hot Fish Pepper (as mentioned above) - my own seeds
Malawi Peppadew - Docnrock
All but 2 of them are varieties i have never grown before.. So looking forward to seeing how they go
Cheers to everyone who has sent me seed over the past year or so.. I am trying to grow at least one variety from each sender this season.. CHEERS!!!

So gave the seeds a 24hr soak in chamomile tea and planted them in jiffy pellets tonight and inoculated all of them with VAM fungi ... Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference initially. Had a hot fish already germinated in the tea soak by the time I went to put it in the jiffy ...pretty quick. I hope it comes up as quickly from the soil

You have some great looking plants there, Tristen!  Good on ya
for persevering and starting some more seeds as well!  The 2nd
generation of your Scotch Bonnet TFM is growing out nicely, and
the little Bird's Eye HTM in the aerogarden is poking it's head up
nice and tall!

Good luck going into Fall, my friend!

Penny said:
Good luck with your latest plantings, hope they do well for you, and no more mites! :dance:
Thanks Penny!! Yeah hope the latest plantings are a little healthier once they reach the same size as my current ones ... Unfortunately having mites around here is inevitable but if you can have robust enough health in your plants you will have a decent chance at keeping them at bay enough to have decent plants and crops .. You just can't let them get a foothold initially. Its all about prevention here rather then cure :D

Hey, Tristen, guess what?  One of your *F2 seeds is showing a hook today!   :party:
I sowed the seeds on the 24th; that's 4 days, my friend!  You must have fed
those plants some atomic seed developer food!

*the Mystery Cross

PaulG said:
You have some great looking plants there, Tristen!  Good on ya
for persevering and starting some more seeds as well!  The 2nd
generation of your Scotch Bonnet TFM is growing out nicely, and
the little Bird's Eye HTM in the aerogarden is poking it's head up
nice and tall!

Good luck going into Fall, my friend!
Cheers for stopping in Paul !! Yeah I must have held the camera just right to make the plants look semi decent ... Because in reality not so much :) ...My cross is actually yellowing strangely at the moment ... I think it has already outgrown its pot and is a gross feeder of a plant ... The joy of a hybrid I guess .... Yeah I noticed the birdseye HTM was up and away ... Hope it does well for you ... Its a real stinger!! I also noticed Rick gave you some Douglah seeds from his plant ... So I actually have 3 plants in there 3rd year still growing here which you are growing 3rd or 2nd generation seeds from half a world away. The parent douglah alphanerdz is actually looking really good this year... Whereas the SB TFM parent has been bonchi for the past 2 years.... Pretty cool to think I am growing seeds from your neck of the woods as well .... Cheers!!

Trippa said:
So I actually have 3 plants in there 3rd year still growing here which you are growing 3rd or 2nd generation seeds from half a world away. The parent douglah alphanerdz is actually looking really good this year... Whereas the SB TFM parent has been bonchi for the past 2 years.... Pretty cool to think I am growing seeds from your neck of the woods as well .... Cheers!!
It's totally awesome, my friend!

Be sure to check out post 310 above.  
Looks like our posts crossed over the Pacific somewhere : )

PaulG said:
Hey, Tristen, guess what?  One of your F2 seeds is showing a hook today!   :party:
I sowed the seeds on the 24th; that's 4 days, my friend!  You must have fed
those plants some atomic seed developer food!
That's great News Paul!! At least we know they are viable now!! That is the first f2 to enter the world ... I hope the speed and vigour continue throughout the grow ... Thanks for letting me know Paul

Just had left over homemade (fron scratch) Thai yellow curry for lunch with a chopped up fresh Naga Morich pod in it ... Delicious ... I never tire of that slight surprise about just how warm those first few mouthfuls are of a fresh pod ;) :D ... And now its finished I wished it was hotter :D... Always the way...

Okay, Tristen, two more F2 sprouts today.  
That's 3/3! No action on the F1 yet.

PaulG said:
Okay, Tristen, two more F2 sprouts today.  
That's 3/3! No action on the F1 yet.
Geez so it wasn't just one rogue fast sprout then ?? Can't beat fresh seed ... About 8 months younger then the f1 seed at a guess ... I hope you do get an F1 to pop as they are quite unique in flavour I think ... Cheers Paul!!

Trippa said:
Geez so it wasn't just one rogue fast sprout then ?? Can't beat fresh seed ... About 8 months younger then the f1 seed at a guess ... I hope you do get an F1 to pop as they are quite unique in flavour I think ... Cheers Paul!!
I peeked in the germination tray this morning and saw the top of
an F1 hook, so hopefully will have one of each to compare!

PaulG said:
I peeked in the germination tray this morning and saw the tcentre an F1 hook, so hopefully will have one of each to compare!
You must have everything dialed in close to perfect in your germination area Paul ... They are popping left right and centre in super quick time!! On you grow!!

Your F2 hooks on the left.  The Charapita from Shane on the right:
_DSC1163a_zps76006382.jpg

A week today and no sign of any hooks yet ... Still early days but Paul had identical seeds hook at 4 days so Maybe my experiment of just using warm 26-29 degree ambient temps as opposed to direct heat to the root zones does show something ... Or maybe not haha ;) :D ... Will be keeping an eye on the next 3-5 days ... If nothing then on to a heat mat I think

Back