• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Trippa said:
A week today and no sign of any hooks yet ... Still early days but Paul had identical seeds hook at 4 days so Maybe my experiment of just using warm 26-29 degree ambient temps as opposed to direct heat to the root zones does show something ... Or maybe not haha ;) :D ... Will be keeping an eye on the next 3-5 days ... If nothing then on to a heat mat I think.
Hey, buddy, hope you get those babies to pop for you.  
Both F1 and F2 had 3/3 germination on the heating pad,
so they should go for you, too.

Did you soak the seeds before sowing?

I'm still waiting on the Galapa and the Rocopica in the
aerogarden, and 5 or 6 varieties in the Jiffy pellet tray.  
I think the Pasillo  aren't viable since they haven't germinated, yet.

Hang in there, my friend!

PaulG said:
Hey, buddy, hope you get those babies to pop for you.  
Both F1 and F2 had 3/3 germination on the heating pad,
so they should go for you, too.

Did you soak the seeds before sowing?

I'm still waiting on the Galapa and the Rocopica in the
aerogarden, and 5 or 6 varieties in the Jiffy pellet tray.  
I think the Pasillo  aren't viable since they haven't germinated, yet.

Hang in there, my friend!
Cheers Paul .. I am just being impatient ... :D stoked you got 6 from 6 on the crosses ... Are the F1s showing the purples yet?? The f2s don't appear like they have the purple stems that my f1s did ... Interesting to see how they go!!

My better half brought me a present from her work supplier today .... Pretty happy with my haul ... It looks like a great book to me. .

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/world/worlds-best-spicy-food/

Perfect for my travels in the future ...and right now 100 great recipes to boot!!

Nuked the crap out of my plants tonight (Strongest organic nuke solution possible ) with a mix of pyrethrum and wettable sulphur ... They had been looking OK until I noticed a whole raft of new growing tips and flowers curling up and dropping off in the last day ... Looked at one of the pods growing on my TSMB ... Literally crawling with mites ,..
I had enough and went the whole hog ... Might alternate weeks with wettable sulphur and seaweed ( had been regularly spraying seaweed anyway but it just wasn't enough ). And Epsom salts until I see a dramatic improvement ... Will pot up some as well to Help plant immunity. Freaking Mites!!

Forgot to mention my 11 year old son made dinner for the family last night(This year we have made it a rule that him and my daughter whos 9 make 1 meal a week on a budget alternating between themselves so they learn how to eat and cook fresh food)
So he decided on spicy Mexican soup with nachos and spiced mint and yoghurt chilli stir in sauce (Dad supplied the Chilli's :D )... Was a Jamie Oliver recipe ... Must say I Highly recommend it ...we traded a few things out like the jarred capsicum for fresh and pickled jalepeno for frozen fresh bishops crowns... Will try to find the recipe ...
http://cowfacemagazine.com/mexican-tomato-soup/
There you go recipe in full ... Give it a shot ... Great winter dish I would think

Spicegeist said:
Wow, what a sophisticated dish!  Very nice!
Yeah I was impressed by it .. Would only take 20min or so to cook if you were good in the kitchen I would say (its out of Jamie Olivers 15 minute meals book).. Took the young fulla about 1.5 hours but he got there with some help and tips along the way... I figure if you can show them that there own cooking tastes better then takeaways then it will be good for there future in terms of healthy choices

Trippa said:
Forgot to mention my 11 year old son made dinner for the family last night(This year we have made it a rule that him and my daughter whos 9 make 1 meal a week on a budget alternating between themselves so they learn how to eat and cook fresh food)So he decided on spicy Mexican soup with nachos and spiced mint and yoghurt chilli stir in sauce (Dad supplied the Chilli's :D )... Was a Jamie Oliver recipe ... Must say I Highly recommend it ...we traded a few things out like the jarred capsicum for fresh and pickled jalepeno for frozen fresh bishops crowns... Will try to find the recipe ...http://cowfacemagazine.com/mexican-tomato-soup/There you go recipe in full ... Give it a shot ... Great winter dish I would think
Love that idea... So many young people that can't cook anything unless it's throwing it into the microwave. Add in having to budget and it's a double win! Will be great life skills for them.

Sorry to hear about the mites... Hopefully your cocktail works wonders!

Nick08* said:
Love that idea... So many young people that can't cook anything unless it's throwing it into the microwave. Add in having to budget and it's a double win! Will be great life skills for them.

Sorry to hear about the mites... Hopefully your cocktail works wonders!
Yeah that's the idea ... Hopefully it works ... At worst we get to have dinner cooked once a week ;) ...

Don't you worry about those mites ... I have a feeling that they will be sorry wee things now ... Its going to be an ongoing issue so I will probably hit the plants regularly with the sulphur (the pyrethrin I will only use as an added kicker if I suspect thrips) as soon as I see damage (weather permitting) ... If I keep them as healthy as possible they should be in good shape come Early Autumn harvest times ...

PeriPeri said:
Great idea Trippa, I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old... that recipe looks awesome!
Cheers Lourens !! Yeah get them into it early .. Nothing like being able to cook for yourself I don't think.
Hopefully those hp22b plants from the seeds you sent will be able to get a foot hold now I have hit them hard with the sulphur ... Will keep you posted!!

Trippa said:
Yeah I was impressed by it .. Would only take 20min or so to cook if you were good in the kitchen I would say (its out of Jamie Olivers 15 minute meals book).. Took the young fulla about 1.5 hours but he got there with some help and tips along the way... I figure if you can show them that there own cooking tastes better then takeaways then it will be good for there future in terms of healthy choices

sounds good to me.  a lot of things our grandparents gave up on as hassles are now things we've come to miss... bye bye tv dinners...

Trippa said:
Forgot to mention my 11 year old son made dinner for the family last night(This year we have made it a rule that him and my daughter whos 9 make 1 meal a week on a budget alternating between themselves so they learn how to eat and cook fresh food)
So he decided on spicy Mexican soup with nachos and spiced mint and yoghurt chilli stir in sauce (Dad supplied the Chilli's :D )... Was a Jamie Oliver recipe ... Must say I Highly recommend it ...we traded a few things out like the jarred capsicum for fresh and pickled jalepeno for frozen fresh bishops crowns... Will try to find the recipe ...
http://cowfacemagazine.com/mexican-tomato-soup/
There you go recipe in full ... Give it a shot ... Great winter dish I would think
sounds delicious :cheers:

Penny said:
Great to see that your getting the kiddos into cooking so early.....and it gives you both a break too.
Yeah Exactly ... double whammy!!! :D

Spicegeist said:

sounds good to me.  a lot of things our grandparents gave up on as hassles are now things we've come to miss... bye bye tv dinners...
Yeah ... as you get older the simpler things seem to matter more and more (not that I am old yet ... but Kids seem to age you ;) )

Dot Com said:
sounds delicious :cheers:
Yeah it sounds and tastes delicious :) cheers!!
Potted up 30 plants today of varying sizes ... what a mission when you don't have space (except a cramped little balcony)... All plants seemed to have responded well to the Suphur/Pyrethren .... a few of the more tender tips may have copped it a bit on some plants but its a small price to pay for giving them a leg up in the health stakes.  A lot of the plants have started putting out new shoots already ... a few more pot ups of the really root bound ones and I can relax again for a few weeks until the smaller 15-20 are ready to go up a notch again .... (I have too many plants again .... surprise surprise!! :D )

Have Spread my grow with a few plants making there way to the other balcony off our bedroom (it was out of bounds for 3 years for chilli plants .... I took her out to lunch today ... problem solved :D ) I had some terraccota pots out there empty ,.. 2 out of 6 are now full ... another 2 for chilli's and some lavender to appease the wife ! (its a dynamic equilibrium .. albeit a precarious one ;) )

Looks like I might be getting a few Jays Peach Ghost F4's setting next and the Bahamian Goat has really started laying on the pods considering its size ,... probably about 20 pods set now ... fingers crossed this great weather continues and the mites continue to stay the F~*(K away!! :D

Great parenting advice! Will go that route when the 8 month old is a little bigger, hah! I think it's very cool you had your son cook for the fam.

Sorry to hear about the mites. Them and aphids really ruin a day. Hopefully everything will bounce back soon and strong. Sending good vibes your way.

Good news on the seedlings/plants. Sounds like things are shaping up and them nasty bugs are in the rear view mirror. Fantastic news!

Back