• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippas Organic story of 2012/2013....things could be worse ...

So far my season has gone like this ... goood ... average ... great ... bad .... things are on the up ... and today .... pretty f&^%king annoyed and frustrated ....so many pests ... and the plants are looking much worse then this time last season (when I had no pests to speak of). I had aphids early on during winter ... they were easy to clear off and didn't bother me too much ...

but I have since been having major issues with thrips and broadmites?? (some sort of mite anyway) tiny little buggers which are about the size of a spec of flour (smaller then two spotted or spider mites). So My plants lurch from looking good to looking really terrible and then they bounce back for a while only to be hammered all over again.

Anyway through all of this I am getting some pods to eat so that is a bonus I suppose.

My grow list is as follows

7 pod/pot "Primo" (Junglerain)
Cili Goronong (Junglerain)
Jalapeno "HTM" (Sourced myself)
Prik Luang (Junglerain)
Fatalii (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Seasoning (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Accidental Hybrid Unknown??) (Pepperlover)
2 x Mystery Superhots (1 maybe Trnindad Scorpion "Sunrise"? From Jungle Rain)
Chocolate Bhut (Bonchi)(THSC)
Yellow 7 pot/pod (THSC)
Super Chilli (THSC)
Explosive Ember (THSC)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Junglerain)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Pimenta De Neyde (Soon to be Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Bhut Jolokia 'Assam' (Junglerain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (Junglerain)
Habanero Chocolate (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
NTR's (THSC)
Douglah 'Alphanerdz strain' (THSC)
Wild Brazil (Pepperlover)
Birdseye HTM (Sourced myself)
Serrano (THSC)
7 Pot (Large) (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Pepperlover)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Original seed from THSC but this seed from saved pods from last season)

All of them are strictly organically grown in soil in containers in the limited space of my apartment balcony ...

I am not much of a wordsmith so I usually like to post plenty of pictures of pods (if I have any in the coming months!!) so come and enjoy/share the frustrations of growing in the most pest ridden area in the world :D ... I will post a few photos I shot today later this evening ...

Also thought I would link to my old glog as well just for posterity and self indulgence :) ;) :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26495-trippas-20112012-grow-log/page__st__240

26.2 degrees C and 83% humidity at 8.50pm .... and it isnt even close to raining ....yuck...filthy

Filthy, dirty, rotten #@$#@$ humidity.

Hear ya bro! Heat I can handle.... humidity I cannot. We've had a good run though, relatively dry heat up until now, huh?

Filthy, dirty, rotten #@$#@$ humidity.

Hear ya bro! Heat I can handle.... humidity I cannot. We've had a good run though, relatively dry heat up until now, huh?

Yeah I suppose ... eww it hasn't gotten any better 25.8 degrees C and 81% humidity ... and its friggin midnight :(

You guys get to have all the fun :rofl:

+1 on your comment about fresh seeds, Tristen.

:D .... yeah fun alright ... feels like I slept in a sauna last night ... ;)

You just can't beat fresh seeds for germ rates and speed. I just hope all of my open pollinated ones grow true for you now and you'll be away and laughing!!

Just got done reading your Glog.
I love picture heavy glogs!
Sorry to hear about your pest problem...
Have you ever considered companion gardening?
Great pod pics by the way!

Just got done reading your Glog.
I love picture heavy glogs!
Sorry to hear about your pest problem...
Have you ever considered companion gardening?
Great pod pics by the way!

Thanks for stopping in ronin!! Pest issues are still around but a few organic control issues and bigger pots for my plants which I have documented here and lime sulphur (which is still classed as organic although not encouraged) on the worst effected plants has actually really helped and this past two weeks they have neem looking the best they have in months.
This humidity is going to bring s whole host of issues though I can imagine .
Because I am growing in such a limited space in containers companion planting isn't really viable for me unless I grow small containers of beneficial plants to scatter about the grow area but that will only work on detterent type level and not be as beneficial because they won't be sharing the same soil.

This humidity is going to bring s whole host of issues though I can imagine .

Yup. :mope:

For one, broad mite thrive in the humidity. And not an issue for you (ya lucky bastard!), but so do fruit fly apparently. I've already seen an increase in the speed of life cycle of both. :(

Yup. :mope:

For one, broad mite thrive in the humidity. And not an issue for you (ya lucky bastard!), but so do fruit fly apparently. I've already seen an increase in the speed of life cycle of both. :(

Yeah I remember you saying broad mite loves humidity ... trouble is if they get to out of control at the moment it is also to hot to spray lime sulphur as well :( ahh well I will just need to make sure my plants have everything they need in the meantime and don't get to stressed and hopefully that will be enough until it cools down again

Well I have a bunch of photos to post but haven't had a chance to put them onto my computer from my camera ... nothing too exciting but an update none the less.
Its been too hot to get any pods setting in the past 5 days or so but plenty of flowers. Temp is meant to drop in the next 3-4 days to a Max of around 28 degrees C (instead of 32-34 C as it has been) so hopefully I can get some to set before the temps crank back up again during the weekend/Friday.

We want updates! We want updates! We want updates! :D

Yeah, nothing has been taking here either. Heck, I've even had newly developing pods drop. :( I tell ya though, I don't know if it's just my imagination but it seems like the heat is putting the fast track on ripening at least... :party:

Yeah and noticed a few pesky mites again as well although they are being kept in check by something on my big plants I suspect. I have noticed a lot of quite big mites which are fast moving and they aren't two spotted or spider mites.

I think they are predatory mites to be honest which is great news as they are always by themselves or only with one other mite and right near the vein of the underside of the leaf which isn't typical of any of the other mites.

Yeah I am getting quick smart ripening too gas ... got my douglahs ripening up now which I am excited about.

Actually I tell a bit of a lie the cili goronong have set 3-4 new pods but that is it

http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/montdorensis-predatory-mite

I am pretty sure that's what I have on my plants so I am thinking since I stopped using neem or sulphur on my established plants for the past 3 months or so it has helped these get more established . Probably could do with a few more though!!

I lie too... ;) I have the odd pod setting here and there (surprisingly, the ButchT has put out a few the last few days) but yeah, vast majority of flowers are dropping.

Would be cool if you have naturally occurring predatory mites where you are! Try and get a photo of one.

Here's a piccy of one of my little Californicus friends:

IMG_0515.JPG

I did have a pic of one of the Monties too but can't find it right now.

Ah, here we go, here's the Montie (Montdorensis):

IMG_8824.JPG

Very well could be what you have. They are an Australian mite.

Back