• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippas Organic story of 2012/2013....things could be worse ...

So far my season has gone like this ... goood ... average ... great ... bad .... things are on the up ... and today .... pretty f&^%king annoyed and frustrated ....so many pests ... and the plants are looking much worse then this time last season (when I had no pests to speak of). I had aphids early on during winter ... they were easy to clear off and didn't bother me too much ...

but I have since been having major issues with thrips and broadmites?? (some sort of mite anyway) tiny little buggers which are about the size of a spec of flour (smaller then two spotted or spider mites). So My plants lurch from looking good to looking really terrible and then they bounce back for a while only to be hammered all over again.

Anyway through all of this I am getting some pods to eat so that is a bonus I suppose.

My grow list is as follows

7 pod/pot "Primo" (Junglerain)
Cili Goronong (Junglerain)
Jalapeno "HTM" (Sourced myself)
Prik Luang (Junglerain)
Fatalii (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Seasoning (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Accidental Hybrid Unknown??) (Pepperlover)
2 x Mystery Superhots (1 maybe Trnindad Scorpion "Sunrise"? From Jungle Rain)
Chocolate Bhut (Bonchi)(THSC)
Yellow 7 pot/pod (THSC)
Super Chilli (THSC)
Explosive Ember (THSC)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Junglerain)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Pimenta De Neyde (Soon to be Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Bhut Jolokia 'Assam' (Junglerain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (Junglerain)
Habanero Chocolate (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
NTR's (THSC)
Douglah 'Alphanerdz strain' (THSC)
Wild Brazil (Pepperlover)
Birdseye HTM (Sourced myself)
Serrano (THSC)
7 Pot (Large) (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Pepperlover)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Original seed from THSC but this seed from saved pods from last season)

All of them are strictly organically grown in soil in containers in the limited space of my apartment balcony ...

I am not much of a wordsmith so I usually like to post plenty of pictures of pods (if I have any in the coming months!!) so come and enjoy/share the frustrations of growing in the most pest ridden area in the world :D ... I will post a few photos I shot today later this evening ...

Also thought I would link to my old glog as well just for posterity and self indulgence :) ;) :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26495-trippas-20112012-grow-log/page__st__240

Thanks Sean!! I think your problem is widespread across all chilli heads regarding adding must have varieties to ones they spot on various glogs ... the key is simply finding the space to grow them ;) :D

I'll have to get a spiked viking helmet and axe and go annex my neighbor's property :D "Listen, I know you live here, but it's MUCH more important that I grow these additional 45 varieties of pepper. You understand, right?"

I have plenty of space outside to grow...the real problem is where to put them, indoors. Those of us in the NE US don't have a sufficiently long growing season to be outside full time. I'm at 45 plants in cups...and another 50...60...eh..maybe 80? I'm too scared to count, in my germ trays. All out of space!

I only grow on one of my balconies so when I am maxed out I really am maxed out... no where for me to grow other then my one little spot. Still doesn't stop me growing too many plants each year :rofl:

Looking splendid Trip! Not bad for a small Balcony grower in a storm ridden region you call home ;)

I love the shots of the TSMB the most. Nothing like a wrinkly pod to get my chili on :party:

Keep the amazing pics coming and also wanted to mention how you much we think alike. :P

Most of my plants are at least two years old and I keep saying I am gonna scrap them and start a whole new grow with the endless amout of varieties I have waiting in there shadows. Then they start to green up and pushing out pods and I feed them again :shh: . What do we do :rolleyes:

Looking splendid Trip! Not bad for a small Balcony grower in a storm ridden region you call home ;)

I love the shots of the TSMB the most. Nothing like a wrinkly pod to get my chili on :party:

Keep the amazing pics coming and also wanted to mention how you much we think alike. :P

Most of my plants are at least two years old and I keep saying I am gonna scrap them and start a whole new grow with the endless amout of varieties I have waiting in there shadows. Then they start to green up and pushing out pods and I feed them again :shh: . What do we do :rolleyes:

Thanks Romy!! Yeah the TSMB is a great plant seems to just keep producing as well.
As for the disposing of older plants I think I get too attached to them which makes it hard to get rid of them. Maybe this season will be different?? ;)

Always worth checking out the photography here! !
Amazing display for the amount of usable grow area.
Thanks Greg. I had a bit of a flat patch with my photography confidence in general as I just seemed to keep looking at my photos and not liking any of them (my photography in general not just my chilli shots) however I picked up the camera the other day and got some of my best shots I have taken to date .... hence getting some more shots of the chilli plot to put up here.

As for the production I think I personally could make the space twice to 3 times as productive if I chose my varieties more carefully and increased pot sizes and decreased plant numbers. However I don't see that happening any time soon ;) :D

Was supposed to harvest a few more ripe pods tonight .... but my Daughter has some friends over for a sleep over so I retreated to the computer to escape rubbish music and movies ...hope the filthy crows don't nab them before I get around to them tomorrow night

Plants look great, Trippa, and awesome harvest you got there. Glad to hear the Bahamian Goat is a producer. That is one I am growing this season. Cheers, man!

Plants look great, Trippa, and awesome harvest you got there. Glad to hear the Bahamian Goat is a producer. That is one I am growing this season. Cheers, man!
Thanks for stopping by and positive comments Doc!. Th Bahamian goat will not disappoint you I assure you of that. One of the best all round pods/plants you can get.

Just stunning Trippa...jaw dropping perfection.
Cheers Bro!! It is great to get such positive comments from a great gardener. You will be surpassing my harvests 100 fold very soon

Always love your photography!

Thanks bro that's an awesome compliment ... have been battling some creative issues lately .. but I feel a little swagger coming back :D ;)

lol.
Let those creative juices flow! Your shots are way inspiring!
If i could only get you here to document my grow this season!
Thanks GA!! Yeah I don't know what makes creativity switch on and off but I know at the moment I am on a roll have just come up with my third photo project right down to look, feel, model poses, and props all in one day for a new project. Maybe it was the Dozen pints of Guinness consumed on the Saturday night house party that did it ..... hmmm Guinness is good for you after all ;) :rofl:

So what's up Trip? Anything new and exciting to show? Sun's been shining the past few weeks, I've had some nice growth and I'm an amateur so surely you've got a load to show off? :rolleyes:

Hi Trippa. Awesome all round my friend. Awesome looking pods and I really like those styled pics... very professional. That Goronong pod looks just like a face with a tongue coming out of the mouth lol I so wanted to have some Goronong this season, but JA decided otherwise! More to grow next season lol

Cheers guys .... will write a small update soon. Although I am looking forward to next season already ... seeds and selections are my focus ....

Just went to my local super market and had to have a laugh. They had a much bigger (read 8 different types of chilli instead of maybe 1-2) range then normal due to some 'festival' advertorial . The hottest ones they had were 'Habenero's' rated 5 out of 5 on their heat scale.... maybe they were bought off ebay :rofl: .

IMG_20130508_181825.jpg

the yellow ones (just so we are clear ;) :D )

Back