• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippas Organic story of 2012/2013....things could be worse ...

So far my season has gone like this ... goood ... average ... great ... bad .... things are on the up ... and today .... pretty f&^%king annoyed and frustrated ....so many pests ... and the plants are looking much worse then this time last season (when I had no pests to speak of). I had aphids early on during winter ... they were easy to clear off and didn't bother me too much ...

but I have since been having major issues with thrips and broadmites?? (some sort of mite anyway) tiny little buggers which are about the size of a spec of flour (smaller then two spotted or spider mites). So My plants lurch from looking good to looking really terrible and then they bounce back for a while only to be hammered all over again.

Anyway through all of this I am getting some pods to eat so that is a bonus I suppose.

My grow list is as follows

7 pod/pot "Primo" (Junglerain)
Cili Goronong (Junglerain)
Jalapeno "HTM" (Sourced myself)
Prik Luang (Junglerain)
Fatalii (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Seasoning (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Accidental Hybrid Unknown??) (Pepperlover)
2 x Mystery Superhots (1 maybe Trnindad Scorpion "Sunrise"? From Jungle Rain)
Chocolate Bhut (Bonchi)(THSC)
Yellow 7 pot/pod (THSC)
Super Chilli (THSC)
Explosive Ember (THSC)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Junglerain)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Pimenta De Neyde (Soon to be Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Bhut Jolokia 'Assam' (Junglerain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (Junglerain)
Habanero Chocolate (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
NTR's (THSC)
Douglah 'Alphanerdz strain' (THSC)
Wild Brazil (Pepperlover)
Birdseye HTM (Sourced myself)
Serrano (THSC)
7 Pot (Large) (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Pepperlover)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Original seed from THSC but this seed from saved pods from last season)

All of them are strictly organically grown in soil in containers in the limited space of my apartment balcony ...

I am not much of a wordsmith so I usually like to post plenty of pictures of pods (if I have any in the coming months!!) so come and enjoy/share the frustrations of growing in the most pest ridden area in the world :D ... I will post a few photos I shot today later this evening ...

Also thought I would link to my old glog as well just for posterity and self indulgence :) ;) :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26495-trippas-20112012-grow-log/page__st__240

It looks like a lot of people bought those "habaneros".

It's going to be rough when the guy who bought one of those and munched it down thinking he was really macho for eating a whole Hab tries to eat a real Hab in the future.

Funny... we got Ball Chillies being sold as Habs at my local Coles. :lol:

Later I did actually find the "Habanero" (type things) in another bit of the produce department ("aka Scotch Bonnets" according to some signage :rolleyes:). They look like and are maybe as hot as a true Hab but they are a pale red colour. Don't even bother if you find them though... as far as taste goes, you'd do much better chugging some kerosene or petrol or something! ;)

Up until now, I honestly NEVER thought I would find anything with a flavour worse than that of a true Orange Hab!! :sick:

They honestly look a lot like Prik Luang (except maybe a little more yellow then orange) but they certainly don't look like any Habs I have seen. They certainly aren't ball chilli's though gas :rofl: ... I was actually going to try to find out who their produce buyer was and tell him he had been duped or was duping his customers .... but then I thought I'll just take a photo and chuckle to myself .... :D

Nah, I mean they do actually sell some Hab type thing now. I found a small crate of them away from the rest of the chillies (don't remember but it was somewhere stupid like in the middle of the onions or something).

As for the incorrect signage, I'm pretty sure that's just a store level issue (the yellow ones signed as Habs at your local store, the ball chillies signed as Habs at my local store.... methinks ID charts for employees might be in order??). The Hab type things I later found are close enough to a true Hab to be marketed as a Hab, I guess... although I am still stuck on how anything could possibly taste worse than a true Hab! :confused: :lol:

Well have been cutting back most of my plants today except for a few which are still producing like my Bahamian Goat Pepper, Cili Goronong, Naga Morich, NTR (which is actually thriving) and Douglah which is happily flowering away... saved some seeds from 10 or so varieties from my last decent harvest before 'Winter' in 2 weeks time when I will be starting my latest seeds for next season.

I am limiting myself to 10 varieties to grow out in decent size containers this season with maybe 3-4 more smaller containers for breeding purposes only.  Most/All of my 2 year old overwinters will be given away or destroyed come late July when my other plants are ready for plant out.

Its going to be tough choosing 10 varieties as I have quite a few I would like to grow  and at least 2-3 which I simply have to grow based on previous experience and one special project, leaving 6 'maybe' spots and around 60-70 varieties to choose from to go into those 7 spots... not going to be easy ... or pleasant ... final result will likely be 30 starts of different types to prolong the agony of choosing only 6 :rofl:

Glad to hear some of your plants are still thriving, Trippa!  Cutting it down to 10 varieties is going to be tough, but I think I am going to do the same thing next year.  Those ones that are still thriving are good candidates, no?  One of my criteria is going to be what grows and produces well in my climate. 

If you start 30 and choose 6, what will you do with the other 24?  Gift?  Cull?

Boy Trippa, guys like you, me, and Doc sure have it tough with our two months of "winter". I'm thinking I might try to overwinter some plants in the ground between my winter crops this year. Coldest it got last winter was 0c for only about half an hour. I had a seedling survive that and grow out like a bush. What's the worst you get there?

Trippa, Doc I grew one variety for years and while I don't have that many varieties now I'm thinking of 2 to 4 eventually. Any updated shots of the cut back or soon come?

DocNrock said:
Glad to hear some of your plants are still thriving, Trippa!  Cutting it down to 10 varieties is going to be tough, but I think I am going to do the same thing next year.  Those ones that are still thriving are good candidates, no?  One of my criteria is going to be what grows and produces well in my climate. 

If you start 30 and choose 6, what will you do with the other 24?  Gift?  Cull?
Yeah I actually have 5 New Varieties which I will certainly grow so that only leaves 5 more spots (including 2 great producing varieties from past seasons) (I actually might sneak 2-3 of my over winters onto the bedroom balcony to make room for others) ... It's actually easier this year to cull some varieties based on what hasn't produced .

Gift the others left over to Friends ... I have a few who like medium spiced chilli's (or mild to most on here ;) )

Triiiips.... esse whaaaat?? Are you really so cold-hearted that you could just cull/abandon 20 odd varieties like that??? :shocked:

Amigo, I am sickened.

(OK... I'm not really... but still!) ;)

gasificada said:
Triiiips.... esse whaaaat?? Are you really so cold-hearted that you could just cull/abandon 20 odd varieties like that??? :shocked:

Amigo, I am sickened.

(OK... I'm not really... but still!) ;)
Did you eat a lot of Mexican food while you were away (or conversely did you eat a small Mexican :rofl: ??)

Portuge said:
Its better to share the heat than to destroy the life that makes the heat....
Theres only limited people who want the type of heat I grow among my friends ... not to mention most/all of them have 4 brown thumbs ... no idea about keeping anything alive :D

Trippa said:

As for the variations ... here are the monthly records to show the spread of average temp and rain. As you can see it doesn't get too much cooler. Yeah always much drier for us in Winter

FireShot%2520Screen%2520Capture%2520%2523003%2520-%2520%2527Gold%2520Coast%2520climate%252C%2520averages%2520and%2520extreme%2520weather%2520records%2527%2520-%2520www_weatherzone_com_au_climate_station_jsp_lt%253Dsite%2526lc%253D40764.png

and here are the record daily temperatures and rainfall

FireShot%2520Screen%2520Capture%2520%2523004%2520-%2520%2527Gold%2520Coast%2520climate%252C%2520averages%2520and%2520extreme%2520weather%2520records%2527%2520-%2520www_weatherzone_com_au_climate_station_jsp_lt%253Dsite%2526lc%253D40764.png

The winter where I currently live (you can't call it a winter) is extremely mild even warm ...its usually non-existent but the native Queenslanders will tell you its cold :D
FireShot%2520Screen%2520Capture%2520%2523002%2520-%2520%2527Gold%2520Coast%2520climate%252C%2520averages%2520and%2520extreme%2520weather%2520records%2527%2520-%2520www_weatherzone_com_au_climate_station_jsp_lt%253Dsite%2526lc%253D40764.png

Yearly Average Temps and rainfall for my Suburb

Those are the averages but it is not unusual to have high 20's in August and mid 20's in June and July

StupidJerk said:
Boy Trippa, guys like you, me, and Doc sure have it tough with our two months of "winter". I'm thinking I might try to overwinter some plants in the ground between my winter crops this year. Coldest it got last winter was 0c for only about half an hour. I had a seedling survive that and grow out like a bush. What's the worst you get there?
As you can see above ... we don't really have a winter ... in saying that the last couple of mornings we have had lows of 5.9, 4.6 and 5.4 degrees Celsius which is cold for here for this time of year ... (in fact it would seem its a record) but highs still in the low 20's C.

Warming up to have minimums of 11-14 for most of the remaining week with highs of about 23C

WalkGood said:
Trippa, Doc I grew one variety for years and while I don't have that many varieties now I'm thinking of 2 to 4 eventually. Any updated shots of the cut back or soon come?
Maybe soon ... still a bit of work to do and waiting for the last few pods on one or two plants to ripen before cutting them right back.
If anyone wants a great producing plant in the cooler temps and in the warmer months as well I can't recommend NTR's enough ... Juicy , Medium heat annum which has a great flavour ... still flowering .. one of THSC's own 

Non eventful winters are great in my book, only means year round grow and pods 24/7 :D Although my pods are smaller and less yield in our winter.

WalkGood said:
Non eventful winters are great in my book, only means year round grow and pods 24/7 :D Although my pods are smaller and less yield in our winter.
Yeah its nice to be able to grow year round. But I would trade a couple of months growing for less pests!! A decent Winter does have an advantage of stopping certain pest cycles from continuing unabated.

Trippa said:

For some reason I only get a Store Locator when I click your link. Really odd because clearly the link suggests I should be looking at some kind of black/orange storage box organiser thingy. Bunnings... always finding new ways to pee me off! :lol:

gasificada said:
For some reason I only get a Store Locator when I click your link. Really odd because clearly the link suggests I should be looking at some kind of black/orange storage box organiser thingy. Bunnings... always finding new ways to pee me off! :lol:
Me too, hehe ... cept the bunnings line ;)

Back