• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippas Organic story of 2012/2013....things could be worse ...

So far my season has gone like this ... goood ... average ... great ... bad .... things are on the up ... and today .... pretty f&^%king annoyed and frustrated ....so many pests ... and the plants are looking much worse then this time last season (when I had no pests to speak of). I had aphids early on during winter ... they were easy to clear off and didn't bother me too much ...

but I have since been having major issues with thrips and broadmites?? (some sort of mite anyway) tiny little buggers which are about the size of a spec of flour (smaller then two spotted or spider mites). So My plants lurch from looking good to looking really terrible and then they bounce back for a while only to be hammered all over again.

Anyway through all of this I am getting some pods to eat so that is a bonus I suppose.

My grow list is as follows

7 pod/pot "Primo" (Junglerain)
Cili Goronong (Junglerain)
Jalapeno "HTM" (Sourced myself)
Prik Luang (Junglerain)
Fatalii (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Seasoning (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Accidental Hybrid Unknown??) (Pepperlover)
2 x Mystery Superhots (1 maybe Trnindad Scorpion "Sunrise"? From Jungle Rain)
Chocolate Bhut (Bonchi)(THSC)
Yellow 7 pot/pod (THSC)
Super Chilli (THSC)
Explosive Ember (THSC)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Junglerain)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Pimenta De Neyde (Soon to be Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Bhut Jolokia 'Assam' (Junglerain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (Junglerain)
Habanero Chocolate (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
NTR's (THSC)
Douglah 'Alphanerdz strain' (THSC)
Wild Brazil (Pepperlover)
Birdseye HTM (Sourced myself)
Serrano (THSC)
7 Pot (Large) (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Pepperlover)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Original seed from THSC but this seed from saved pods from last season)

All of them are strictly organically grown in soil in containers in the limited space of my apartment balcony ...

I am not much of a wordsmith so I usually like to post plenty of pictures of pods (if I have any in the coming months!!) so come and enjoy/share the frustrations of growing in the most pest ridden area in the world :D ... I will post a few photos I shot today later this evening ...

Also thought I would link to my old glog as well just for posterity and self indulgence :) ;) :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26495-trippas-20112012-grow-log/page__st__240

Beautiful pictures

Thanks ... have been slack on any/all forum posts lately including my own.
Not much happening at the moment but am about to bin a large number of my plants and start a special project plus some good varieties from some generous members here probably in early May (last month of our "Autumn" ) for plant out in early June all going well.

How did you fair mez??

We got hit with the wind as the front approached, lucky the van took the force & sheltered the plants, we had the rain & lightning as well but a big black spot on the radar missed us by two K`s (very close).

We lost power as well for a few hours (tree came down on the lines) but came on later in the evening & today its calm as a cucumber & the sun is peeking through the mist.

So are your main harvests over now trippa? any pics or is it all over?

Mezo.

We got hit with the wind as the front approached, lucky the van took the force & sheltered the plants, we had the rain & lightning as well but a big black spot on the radar missed us by two K`s (very close).

We lost power as well for a few hours (tree came down on the lines) but came on later in the evening & today its calm as a cucumber & the sun is peeking through the mist.

So are your main harvests over now trippa? any pics or is it all over?

Mezo.

Glad you came though alright mez!! Nah I actually surprisingly still have a steady crop of various Chilli's coming through ... Douglahs , TSMB's , Bahamian goats, cili goronong , naga morichs, Prik luang, prik ki nu, bhut jolokia Assam , kerinting and NTRs are still steadily supplying a nice stream of pods ... funnily enough the plants look terrible due to lack of root zone space but 2-3 of them are producing more now then earlier when they looked great. Go figure.

Best thing is no pests to speak of !!

Glad you posted up Trippa! Been wondering what happened to you. Haven't seen anything from you, Nee, or Gassy in a while. Nice to hear you still have pods coming. No pests: Bonus!

Hi Trippa, Nice to hear that you're still picking pods and pest-free ATM... I don't wanna say the "A" word and jinx ya :silenced:

I finally got a hook from the Fish pepper seeds you sent... :dance: Nothing yet from Nee's Macedonian, but I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

Ok ... got off my lazy behind and got some pictures ... will get them up hopefully tonight ... fingers crossed !!

Ok ... got off my lazy behind and got some pictures ... will get them up hopefully tonight ... fingers crossed !!

You tease Trippa, saw something about pictures in my email notification only to find a "hopefully/fingers crossed" :liar:

Mezo. :drooling:

Bit of a storm moving in at the moment ... apologies in advance for some of these photos ... its getting a little darker much earlier lately and I left these shots to a little late in the day thinking I had plenty of time ... seems like I may have missed focus on a few of them ... but its nothing you haven't seen before from me so use your imagination about what they look like tack sharp :D ;)

Still freaking waiting for them to upload ... my normal mode of upload to my web album is not working for some reason so I went another way and its taking a freaking long time to sort its shite ....please bare with me I promise I will have some pics soon ... :oops: :banghead: :whistle:

And we are off ...

Bhut+Jolokia+Assam+best+production+all+season.JPG

Bhut Jolokia Assam

3+little+douglahs+outside+my+doorstep.JPG

3 little Douglahs on my Doorstep

Bhut+Jolokia+Assam+best+production+all+season+2.JPG

Bhut Jolokia Assam ... still cranking the flowers (although not too many set)

Cili+Goronong+showing+odd.JPG

Cili Goronong ... probably the second or third best producer in my garden this season

Explosive+ember+just+never+stops.JPG

This Explosive ember (actually many plants now because it so readily self seeds in the pot from fallen pods) just never stops ... great plant for colour in the garden

Mystery+Suspected+Red+7+Pot.JPG

My Suspected (Mystery Pod was supposed to be a TSMB) Red 7 pot/pod ... cool looking toucan beak colours as it ripens

Naga+Morich.JPG

Sorry ... a bit of a crappy shot of a Naga Morich pod (was tucked away under some leaves which made it tough to get a decent shot of ...poor excuse I know ;) )... awesome producer this little plant already have had a bunch of pods off it and it is only in a 1.5 litre pot ..

NTRs+Still+Producing+Well.JPG

My 2 season old (2 years in June) NTR (THSC's own creation) plant is still shoving out the pods even though it got checked by mites in high summer pretty badly at times ... always produced though

Pimenta+De+Neyde+setting+pods+v2.JPG

My Pimenta De Neyde is really enjoying the cooler weather ... it is setting plenty of pods right now ...and is looking nice ... it certainly likes to stretch in height though ...

Prik+Luang.JPG

Prik Luang (originally from Jungle Rain) pods ... the plant is severely rootbound and not enjoying it ... it is a very pale lime green and it doesn't respond to foliar feeds or Epsom Salts ...weirdly it is producing the best it has all season ... go figure

More to come ....

Hi Trippa
Has the Prik Luang had darker foliage before now? Since the ripe pods are orange, might that be it's normal color?

Love the pod shots guy!

Tack sharp....what's that? I will accept your blurry pics as my own. Just mail me your worst ones and I will edit my grow list and update.The Neyde shot is great.

Are you getting close to trimming back for the winter?? Our days are getting longer here,but temps are still low and it snowed the last two days. Last year I was mowing the lawn a couple times a week!

Hi Trippa
Has the Prik Luang had darker foliage before now? Since the ripe pods are orange, might that be it's normal color?

Love the pod shots guy!

Yeah it has had much darker foliage then this previously. I think because it is producing so many more pods then it has before maybe they are also sapping a lot of goodness right out of the plant as well ... could be wrong. It also could be a pH issue .. I should really get myself a soil pH tester (I have a liquid pH meter but it isn't so easy to get a fast soil reading without plenty of mucking about)

thanks Rick

Wow, talk about proper "pod-ography" it's gonna be hard to sleep tonight :rolleyes: Wicked pics Trip, keep up the awesome work

Well I don't know about proper but I do enjoy a good muck about with the Camera. ;) :D cheers for the compliments!

Tack sharp....what's that? I will accept your blurry pics as my own. Just mail me your worst ones and I will edit my grow list and update.The Neyde shot is great.

Are you getting close to trimming back for the winter?? Our days are getting longer here,but temps are still low and it snowed the last two days. Last year I was mowing the lawn a couple times a week!

Well Tack sharp is something I always aim for and usually fall short of ... does that answer your question ;) :D You take plenty of great shots prod!! Especially those flowers I have seen about. Yeah I liked the Neyde shot as well.

Well I have just thrown out about 12 plants to make room for some new crosses of my own I will be starting as well as a few special chilli seed gifts from various members of the forum here which I also want to start. I will likely be culling most/all of my plants this season and starting afresh mainly because they are almost all 2 season old plants already and I wanted to see if I could start from scratch and really pick my species this year ... I think I said the same thing last season and failed to throw out many at all. :) :D

So I will likely cut back my plants about June if I do decide to keep any

Tobasco+loving+the+cooler+weather.JPG

Tobasco plant throwing on the pods

Tobasco+loving+the+cooler+weather+2.JPG

I think it enjoys the cooler weather as well

Douglahs+amonst+the+mass.JPG

A few of the picked Douglahs 'Alphanerdz' ... amongst others

Great pics as always Trippa. Even the bad one is good ;)

Do you think PDN likes cooler weather in general because mine has done nothing all summer?

TSMB+still+cranking+along+nicely.JPG

TSMB ... has been my second or third best producer this season. (Everything pales in comparison to the Bahamian Goat pepper production wise)

Great pics as always Trippa. Even the bad one is good ;)

Do you think PDN likes cooler weather in general because has done nothing all summer?

Thanks Mega!!

Yeah my PDN probably only puts out 9-10 pods over the heat of summer but during the Autumn always starts producing much more. (Did the same last season and this is the same overwintered plant)

Next few shots are a bit samey ... apologies ....

Tray+of+late+season+goodness+side.JPG

Late Season Harvest

Tray+of+late+season+goodness+2.JPG

And Another one ...

Tray+of+late+season+goodness+long.JPG

And Another ... I like to cover all my angles ;) :D

Tray+of+late+season+goodness.JPG

Last one .... Varieties in here ... Mainly (orange ones) Bahamian Goat Peppers, Cili Goronong, Kerinting, TSMB, Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia 'Assam', Douglah 'ALphanerdz', NTR's, Po Cheong, Prik Ki Nu (sometimes I refer to as Birdseye HTM ) and Some self sown Aji Lemons which popped up in my mint pot and I let go and they have started producing quite nicely

ohhh and sorry a lone Pimenta De Neyde in there as well

Thanks for stopping by guys ... I know I haven't been the best forum member of late and have no doubt neglected countless glogs and questions I might have answered ... sorry about that .. I will try to get on here as much as possible ... cheers trippa

Great pics, excellent grow! Every time I dig into a different glog I end up putting more peppers on next year's grow list :)

Great pics, excellent grow! Every time I dig into a different glog I end up putting more peppers on next year's grow list :)

Thanks Sean!! I think your problem is widespread across all chilli heads regarding adding must have varieties to ones they spot on various glogs ... the key is simply finding the space to grow them ;) :D

Back