• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippaul Threat (PdN x BMJ) Community Grow

This is a dedicated grow log for Tristen's awesome cross, which I
have been growing out since 2014.  I'll start with a bit of history and
some photos documenting what's happened so far.

In January of 2014, Tristen (Trippa) sent me a little care package of seeds.
In the package were two generations of a cross he had made, which he just 
called 'Mystery Cross, F1' and 'Mystery Cross, F2'.  

Here's Trippa's Mystery Cross seedlings in February of 2014:
_DSC1203a_zpscfa08c86.jpg

_DSC1215a_zps824b6b30.jpg

Both generations showing the purple foliage characteristic since the beginning.

Up close look at Trippa's Mystery Crosses, F1 and F2.  Both culled to a single
plant after the photo taken, so I only had one plant of each generation:
_DSC1256a_zps34e3c6e6.jpg

My "white" plant is in a raised bed with sides and the pods are totally shaded by the plant, and the 50% sides to keep the pups out, even though it's in full sun. So the pods have a mild purple when young, and then go greenish, but still very close to white. I've been swamped with "mater duty" the last few weeks and really need to get some pics put up :shh:  Vacation  comes in 10 days so a harvest "most everything" week is coming before we leave. Or my caretakers will get all the goodies, as I give them access, as part of the deal...

Walchit said:
I have f7w f5w and the seeds I saved from the bulbous pod, I dont think I labeled wether it was a white or violet. Hopefully they set some pods before the July heat kicks in.

They got into some of my prime real estate too!]

Those look great in the. ground, Andy!
Nice color and good branching.

Hopefully, the heat wave will modify a bit, now.

Mr.joe said:
Wow, what an amazing plant. The dark foliage looks great and I loved how someone said it likes the heat. I have a habit of starting to read glogs without checking how many pages it is first, this one just kept going.
I had a lot of fun reading thru all the changes the plant has made. Everyone did a great job. I would love to grow one for 2020 if this is still a thing by then. I can pay for the seeds. Lmk

I am sure there will be seeds for you this Fall, Mr. Joe!

Devv said:
My "white" plant is in a raised bed with sides and the pods are totally shaded by the plant, and the 50% sides to keep the pups out, even though it's in full sun. So the pods have a mild purple when young, and then go greenish, but still very close to white. I've been swamped with "mater duty" the last few weeks and really need to get some pics put up :shh:  Vacation  comes in 10 days so a harvest "most everything" week is coming before we leave. Or my caretakers will get all the goodies, as I give them access, as part of the deal...
Your white specimen is coloring up like my F7-4 plant.
Really beautiful, I bet.

Hope you get a chance to get the pods in and get some
pix.

Sounds like a busy 10 days for you. Hope your vacation
turns out well.

Super hot weather?  Urgh.  We are having wet, cold, wet, cold, wet and did I mention wet?  No sun.  No warmth.  Going on for at least a couple of weeks if not more (feels like months.)  The forecast is for more of the same.

My outdoor plants are just looking pathetic and miserable.  The indoor plants are overcrowded, light-deprived and aphid-infested.

Neither of my PdN x BMJ plants have set any pods yet.  The outdoor plant has been flowering for a few weeks now but the indoor plant is only just starting.

This is turning into such a bad year.

Mitzi said:
Super hot weather?  Urgh.  We are having wet, cold, wet, cold, wet and did I mention wet?  No sun.  No warmth.  Going on for at least a couple of weeks if not more (feels like months.)  The forecast is for more of the same.

My outdoor plants are just looking pathetic and miserable.  The indoor plants are overcrowded, light-deprived and aphid-infested.

Neither of my PdN x BMJ plants have set any pods yet.  The outdoor plant has been flowering for a few weeks now but the indoor plant is only just starting.

This is turning into such a bad year.
So sorry to hear that, Mitzi.

It sounds like you are getting some of our typical
Spring PacificNorthWest weather.

Glad to hear that at least your PdNxBMJ is flowering. 

Very nice Paul!. Our pods look identical...

Picked a bhut load of purple and a few whites. So the purple pods kind of want to go whitish from the deep purple color they start out as.

320.jpg

The super white plate in full sun makes those pods look ivory, and they do get whiter if I leave them on longer, but we're going to the East Coast for 2 weeks and some pods need to come off the plants.

Those look great, Scott. Nice size and shape.

I am finding pods are overripe if I try to get
them all the way to ripe this season.

PaulG said:
Those look great, Scott. Nice size and shape.

I am finding pods are overripe if I try to get
them all the way to ripe this season.
Meant to say 'white'    :banghead:

J.H.Skarby said:
Haven't seen anything Neyde related looking so Chinense like before. They usually look leggy to me - but this is awesome. Do you use some special type of feed for the soil, trimming or any other 'tricks' to promote growth like that?

They definitely have a tall, rangy growth habit.

These particular plants were grown indoors under
T5HO lights until they went into the greenhouse.
While in the garage, I pinched the four main branches
on each plant at the 10th node to keep them from
spreading so much in the limited space. As a result,
they have a great basket-shaped growth habit, with
lots of apical nodes on the upward growing branches, 
which have really accelerated in the past couple of weeks.

Here they are May 24th:

PaulG said:

Here they are May 24th:

I agree, my plants have a similar growth habit. More upright than some other varieties. Being I plant mine in a hole for watering purposes, the "other plants" sometimes have branches on the ground. I need to fix that next year some how..

I see. Sounds a whole lot better than the environment mine has been growing in :)
I topped it some weeks ago and it still seems to be some stunted from the first days of heat. Trying my best to be patient with it but it sure aint pretty :P

You did a Very good job with yours ! Thanks for the advice :)

PaulG said:

Here they are May 24th:

J.H.Skarby said:
I see. Sounds a whole lot better than the environment mine has been growing in :)
I topped it some weeks ago and it still seems to be some stunted from the first days of heat. Trying my best to be patient with it but it sure aint pretty :P

You did a Very good job with yours ! Thanks for the advice :)

Thanks, J.H. 

I have found that these crosses withstand our
Oregon sun better than just about any other
chinense plants I have grown. Once they get
fully established, they are super vigorous and
productive plants. 

Good luck with yours. How did the hardening
off process go for you?

Thanks Paul! :)

Ehm.. It hasn't worked out too well for me. Im keeping it indoors so far just to play it safe.. In fact most of my plants are still inside, while I attempt to build some kind of protection against the winds we are having.
Big one on the photo is BMJ and the leggy survivalist is PDN.. Sloooowly recovering

PaulG said:
Thanks, J.H. 

I have found that these crosses withstand our
Oregon sun better than just about any other
chinense plants I have grown. Once they get
fully established, they are super vigorous and
productive plants. 

Good luck with yours. How did the hardening
off process go for you?

Attachments

• IMG_20190619_094254.jpg
    IMG_20190619_094254.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 55
Devv said:
Paul, they are one of the best performers here in my super heat as well. They just have it all..

<<Glad to hear they have not disappointed >>

here's a few whites and a couple of purples. Just tons of purples will come off the plants in the next 2 days as we're gone for 11 days.

336.jpg
Awesome results, Scott.
The white pods are beauties.

Devv said:
Paul, they are one of the best performers here in my super heat as well. They just have it all..

here's a few whites and a couple of purples. Just tons of purples will come off the plants in the next 2 days as we're gone for 11 days.

love to see all the colors and  variations. you grew some beautiful pods.

Back