• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

TSMB Article in HortTech

So I just saw that the TSMB study done by the CPI was published in HORTTECH. Given all the controversy and hours of debate we went into about it, I strolled on over to the article online to give it a read....access denied....

I guess you have to pay for the site I was looking on. Anyone have any ideas if the publication is available free on the web? Not pirated, but hosted free...

1.2mil.. Nothing that much worse than the bhut. LOL.. KNew it was mostly hype... If it hits 2mil good but still thats nly .5m higher than the peak for the bhut.... Still thiknk all sueprs are close.. And I think when the carolin reaper scomes out irt will be the same as all the others.. however, it does look cool so thats a +1. Ill get some just for that aspect and for breeding those bumps and hooks.

I think this article is good for what it is. Let's be honest, it is always good when the community gets some scientific testing (even if it is pushed by someone who is just in it to pad some pockets). For those of you who haven't had the pleasure or displeasure, depending on the side of the fence you are on, of reading the dozens of pages of debate on this exact test, just know that there are some heated claims of seed tampering/mislabeling. But that all revolves around the 'Trinidad Scorpion' and the 'TSMB'. That means that we got some great test results for the Jonah, the Chocolate (or Douglah, still undecided personally), and the Bhut. In my book, that is a win. The numbers are super impressive for all three of those strains, and it is interesting that the Bhut actually rated higher than the record it held, and as low as 200k. I mean, we always have known the crazy sweeps a chili can make, but 200k to 1.5mil is amazing. Makes you think about what you got in your garden.

As far as the Carolina Reaper goes, we can debate that in another thread, but as one thing that the numbers in this test I'll tell you, once the seed is mass produced, it is pretty unlikely to get the Max number, or you may double it...in all reality, it is the luck of the draw. You may have a record plant, or you may have something...not...not many backyard growers are growing a down plants, and this study tells you that even a plant that has been around for a while is effected by environmental factors, and...luck.

You know how easy PH test strips work?

I wish they had SHU test strips..

Now that would make everyones life so much easier in this community!

All of us growers could compare SHU's, and Christopher Phillips could set them along side the ruler in his amazing pod pictures.
Ha! Now that would be money :D

So I just saw that the TSMB study done by the CPI was published in HORTTECH. Given all the controversy and hours of debate we went into about it, I strolled on over to the article online to give it a read....access denied....

I guess you have to pay for the site I was looking on. Anyone have any ideas if the publication is available free on the web? Not pirated, but hosted free...

I really hate that. I always find an article on chiles I want to read from that site :( .

I'm pretty sure Jim Duffy said that the Chocolate 7 Pot that is mentioned was the Douglah.

I agree that the pod was probably a 7 pot Douglah. I mean, it was only a few months back that the 7 pot Brown or 7 pot chocolate has been in everyone's grow list. It was around, but most just used the douglah term. It is getting tough keeping track with the brown/choc varieties.

He also said that he saw no difference between the ButchT and normal Trinidad Scorpion, and the TSMB and Brain Strain. That was the original
Problem I had with the study. It was as if he "decided" that certain strains were the same, and that is what got put down as gospel. In the end, it was beneficial for the community, but there are some people that are pretty pissed about the seeds used/ignored.

I agree that the pod was probably a 7 pot Douglah. I mean, it was only a few months back that the 7 pot Brown or 7 pot chocolate has been in everyone's grow list. It was around, but most just used the douglah term. It is getting tough keeping track with the brown/choc varieties.

He also said that he saw no difference between the ButchT and normal Trinidad Scorpion, and the TSMB and Brain Strain. That was the original
Problem I had with the study. It was as if he "decided" that certain strains were the same, and that is what got put down as gospel. In the end, it was beneficial for the community, but there are some people that are pretty pissed about the seeds used/ignored.

+1

douglah is much smaller and a redish tint. The brown 7 pot/pod darker in color, pimpled out, most have the pointed end. I think you got one coming to you mgold86 from naga. 7 pod brown has been the hottest to me so far.

Cool, yea, I am definitely leaning toward them being different. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but will have to compare the brown to my doulahs.

Its a descent study, but these guys aren't population geneticists. Figure 1 shows a dendrogram of the distance inferred from RAPD fragment scoring. Some how they conclude from this that "The taxonomic relationship of ‘Bhut Jolokia’ to ‘Trinidad Scorpion’ based on RAPD markers places ‘Bhut Jolokia’ in a taxonomic position be- tween C. annuum and the other C. chinense varieties. The reason the other C. chinense varieties show greater similarity is that ‘Bhut Jolokia’ is an interspecific hybrid that has C. frutescens genes introgressed into its genome (Bosland and Baral, 2007)...Thus, from the genetic similarity index values, it can be concluded that ‘Bhut Jolokia’ is not a ‘Trinidad Scorpion’ variety grown in India or that ‘Trini- dad Scorpion’ is a parent of ‘Bhut Jolokia’. Instead, they appear to be unique varieties. Furthermore, none of the pepper varieties from Trinidad and Tobago are likely to be the parent of ‘Bhut Jolokia’."

This makes absolutely no sense because the technique simply gives a rough % of the genome shared between types, it doesn't give taxonomic position, there is no such thing within a species. An F2 between a trinidad and Camalot could fall anywhere on the tree at all since its genome could be comprised of anywhere from 0-100% of the two strains.

Most of the conclusions I'm fine with, but the RAPD technique is about as rough as it gets as far as genetic techniques. Talking about the dendrogram as if it gives taxonomic position is more than miss leading.

He also used to argue that scorpions and 7 pot/pods were the same :( You can only take so much B.S.
Now where did the "Douglah Trinidad chocolate" name come from :(

Back