• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Turkey GUMBO

Made this from my thanksgiving leftovers
First the rue
1 1/2 cups bacon fat 1/2 cup veg oil 2 1/2 cups flour
IMG_20141221_141634.jpg

Slow cooked blond to peanut butter color 15 min from peanut butter to chocolate another 15/20 min.
IMG_20141221_144559.jpg
IMG_20141221_145921_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_150606.jpg

Next add chopped green peppers celery,onion and garlic to the hot rue

IMG_20141221_141105.jpg
IMG_20141221_150752.jpg

Cook till tender add hot turkey stock.
IMG_20141221_141042_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_154902.jpg

Then add protein this gumbo has Turkey and andouille sauce chopped into quarters and browned then Turkey and some bacon usually add taso ham but am out
IMG_20141221_171535_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_173951_hdr.jpg

Added Cajun seasoning and red savina powder,tomatoes whole crushed by hand.
IMG_20141221_171353_hdr.jpg

Heat thru and serve with cornbread and yellow rice chopped scallion no okra in this batch used file powder.
IMG_20141221_173956_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141222_173625_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141222_173636_hdr.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:

Make your own. I know it's a combo of something like cayenne, garlic, onion, salt, and a couple other things but the cayenne is key! Phil??????? 

When I say Zat's instead of Old Bay, I'm just talking about for boiling seafood.

http://www.amazon.com/Zatarains-Extra-Spicy-Crawfish-Shrimp/dp/B006UCUAN4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1419722504&sr=8-6&keywords=Zatarain%27s+crab+boil

Add a whole jar of this to your 80 qt boiling pot for a treat.... Zat's is great, but I'm not that brand loyal, and there are plenty of other great alternatives... just not Old Bay.

Tony Chachere's creole seasoning is great for gumbo. You probably don't wanna use Zat's for gumbo..... only for boiling seafood. (Pronounced "Sash-er-ree)

http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Chacheres-Original-Creole-Seasoning/dp/B00D1G7LZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419722711&sr=8-1&keywords=Tony+Chachere%27s

Or you could make your own like Pookie said. Sounds like you have the basic essentials in there. Even try substituting your favorite pepper powder for cayenne... with the understanding that as the pepper changes, the flavor changes with it, right?

For my own cooking, I just use kosher salt and pepper and add cayenne as needed for spice. Sometimes I add my homemade smoked scorpion mutt powder, and I usually get in trouble for it... hehehe. As long as you're cooking with the trinity and fresh chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne are all you need. Spice is important for cajun dishes, but it's mostly about flavor. Flavor is king.

BTW.... it's extremely difficult to make a "diet" cajun dish. They're usually loaded with fats and salt, Kiss your good cholesterol levels goodbye! And yes, I am on Crestor... AND blood pressure medicine. On second thought, ignore all of my advice. lol

Scoville DeVille said:
duh. I make my own seasonings all the time anyway. Curry, Chile powder, Blackening, Rubs and I have even made a Cajun rub before.

BAM!!!

Then why did you say you need to go shopping for a Cajun spice and unfortunately CJ is making gumbo??

Well he hit me with a "duh" but was just trying to help so... lol. Thought he was in a bind.

Phil said:

When I say Zat's instead of Old Bay, I'm just talking about for boiling seafood.

http://www.amazon.com/Zatarains-Extra-Spicy-Crawfish-Shrimp/dp/B006UCUAN4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1419722504&sr=8-6&keywords=Zatarain%27s+crab+boil

Add a whole jar of this to your 80 qt boiling pot for a treat.... Zat's is great, but I'm not that brand loyal, and there are plenty of other great alternatives... just not Old Bay.

Tony Chachere's creole seasoning is great for gumbo. You probably don't wanna use Zat's for gumbo..... only for boiling seafood. (Pronounced "Sash-er-ree)

http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Chacheres-Original-Creole-Seasoning/dp/B00D1G7LZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419722711&sr=8-1&keywords=Tony+Chachere%27s

Or you could make your own like Pookie said. Sounds like you have the basic essentials in there. Even try substituting your favorite pepper powder for cayenne... with the understanding that as the pepper changes, the flavor changes with it, right?

For my own cooking, I just use kosher salt and pepper and add cayenne as needed for spice. Sometimes I add my homemade smoked scorpion mutt powder, and I usually get in trouble for it... hehehe. As long as you're cooking with the trinity and fresh chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne are all you need. Spice is important for cajun dishes, but it's mostly about flavor. Flavor is king.

BTW.... it's extremely difficult to make a "diet" cajun dish. They're usually loaded with fats and salt, Kiss your good cholesterol levels goodbye! And yes, I am on Crestor... AND blood pressure medicine. On second thought, ignore all of my advice. lol
You can get ma mama's cookbook still based on the Pritkin diet. She did some amazing substitutions to keep her cooking Creole.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Fat-Free-Salt-Free-Sugar-Free-Flavor-Full/dp/0895948583/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419725055&sr=8-2&keywords=marcia+williams+no+salt+no+fat+no+sugar
here's Emeril's essence, I usually substitute Butch-T powder for cayenne:

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

Scoville DeVille said:
I was thinking about buying some Zatarain's online but "unfortunately" there's no way it would get here by Monday.

Then the "duh" was why the hael didn't i think of making it myself first? Myself. LOL

You don't wanna use Zat's for gumbo anyway. Just use salt, pepper, and cayenne... or buy some of that Tony's creole.

So no un-yeonnnn Phil? (Justin Wilson voice)

Back