• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Turkey GUMBO

Made this from my thanksgiving leftovers
First the rue
1 1/2 cups bacon fat 1/2 cup veg oil 2 1/2 cups flour
IMG_20141221_141634.jpg

Slow cooked blond to peanut butter color 15 min from peanut butter to chocolate another 15/20 min.
IMG_20141221_144559.jpg
IMG_20141221_145921_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_150606.jpg

Next add chopped green peppers celery,onion and garlic to the hot rue

IMG_20141221_141105.jpg
IMG_20141221_150752.jpg

Cook till tender add hot turkey stock.
IMG_20141221_141042_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_154902.jpg

Then add protein this gumbo has Turkey and andouille sauce chopped into quarters and browned then Turkey and some bacon usually add taso ham but am out
IMG_20141221_171535_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_173951_hdr.jpg

Added Cajun seasoning and red savina powder,tomatoes whole crushed by hand.
IMG_20141221_171353_hdr.jpg

Heat thru and serve with cornbread and yellow rice chopped scallion no okra in this batch used file powder.
IMG_20141221_173956_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141222_173625_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141222_173636_hdr.jpg

The roux looks great. Is that more of a peanut butter or dark roux? I can't tell by the pic, the pic is dark itself. Looks in between.

As a long time gumbo cooker and lover of all things cajun, I can tell you that in Louisiana there are about as many gumbo recipes as there are cooks.  A lot have okra, some do not.  It certainly is not a requirement.  File is also a thickener, but mainly it is used for flavor as the roux is the main thickener.  The color of the roux may vary depending on the protein that's going in there.  Myself, I like a chocolate roux with both okra and file.  Actually, I do not ever make gumbo without file, I do however make it sometimes without okra.  

JayT said:
As a long time gumbo cooker and lover of all things cajun, I can tell you that in Louisiana there are about as many gumbo recipes as there are cooks.  A lot have okra, some do not.  It certainly is not a requirement.  File is also a thickener, but mainly it is used for flavor as the roux is the main thickener.  The color of the roux may vary depending on the protein that's going in there.  Myself, I like a chocolate roux with both okra and file.  Actually, I do not ever make gumbo without file, I do however make it sometimes without okra.  

You learn something new here every day. I've cooked gumbo for years, used okra sometimes, sometimes not. used file powder most times, sometimes not. Not until this morning did I know either one was a thickener. The roux always did a nice job thickening and I never thought it needed more.

The Hot Pepper said:
In Africa and other places the word "gumbo" literally means okra. The dish is called gumbo from that meaning. You can call it gumbo without it but it is not "gumbo" without gumbo in it. :D That's like tomato soup without tomatoes. 
etymology is the plaything of the devil. As a 12th generation son of New Orleans not all Gumbos have gumbo(okra). But you do need a roux, and the creole trinity of bell pepper, onion and celery.  Generally, there is Okra Gumbo, Gumbo aux herbe, and the numerous seafood gumbos that use okra. The Chicken, Sausage, turkey and other non-seafood gumbos don't use okra (unless some yank is making it who doesn't know better ;) )

Nice looking Turkey Gumbo!

Merry Christmas!
Make sure you only add the File' in the last five minutes or individually in bowls or it will be bitter. It is also a type of thickener and flavor enhancer.

Okay well I said it must have okra, now some say no, but it must have a roux, here's a good resource that explains it can be any of the known thickeners or a combination.

A GUMBO PRIMER
There are as many variations of gumbo as there are people who make it. But the foundation of any gumbo is the thickener. Some consider okra as the original gumbo base. But then there is the old rule of gumbo-making, “First you make a roux.” Others are of the opinion that filé is the only proper gumbo thickener. Then there are cooks who use some combination thereof. Whatever the style, tradition, or preference, here are descriptions of these gumbo cornerstones to get you primed for your journey down the Southern Gumbo Trail.

For many, OKRA, that spiny and slimy pod, is the only way to thicken a gumbo. Okra not only thickens a gumbo; it adds flavor. It is usually sliced and then sautéed with what many consider the holy trinity of gumbo-making: onions, celery and bell peppers. Okra gumbo has a subtler flavor than filé- or roux-based gumbos.

FILÉ is dried and ground sassafras leaves. It is usually added to a gumbo at the very end of the cooking process or to individual servings. Many prefer filé for its distinctive musty, tea-like flavor. It is sometimes called “gumbo filé.” The Cajuns and Creoles learned about filé from the Choctaw Indians of the Gulf South. Some maintain that filé was used when okra was out of season. Today, both gumbos are made year-round. Combining filé with okra is uncommon.

A ROUX, used as a thickening agent, is achieved by cooking flour and a fat (butter, vegetable oil, or even olive oil) together over high heat. The rich nuttiness of the roux intensifies with cooking, which also affects its color. A roux is used in various recipes; different colors are desired for different dishes. Some use a peanut butter colored roux, while others strive for an almost black roux.

Historically, a seafood gumbo was not made with filé because okra would be in season when seafood was fresh. A duck or venison gumbo would not have okra in it, since hunting season falls during winter and fall, when okra could not be found. While these traditions sprang from simple availability of ingredients, they still hold true in many parts of the South’s gumbo tradition.

source

Okra being out of season for some of those reasons so...

oldsalty said:
the rue is the star and no fresh okra right now so I used file powder
oldsalty said:
people forget that cooking is about the availability of ingredients as well as region, as in Cajun gumbo and Creole gumbo
CHEERS
oldsalty tried to tell me, but he made a gumbo all along.

I'm happy to learn here! I was in the "must have okra" camp but not any longer. 

Good job salty!

I trust that source more than anything on the public-edited wiki:
The Southern Foodways Alliance documents, studies, and celebrates the diverse food cultures of the changing American South. We set a common table where black and white, rich and poor — all who gather — may consider our history and our future in a spirit of reconciliation.

A member-supported non-profit, based at the University of Mississippi’s Center for the Study of Southern Culture, we stage symposia, produce documentary films, collect oral histories, sponsor scholarship, mentor students, and publish great writing. Donations from generous individuals, foundations, and companies fund our good work.

I truss'ya HS, I don't know much about that food. Like I said, I really thought the okra was a requirement... like... "That ain't red eye gravy, where's the coffee??" Some things have to have one of the essential ingredients.

You wouldn't believe the number of folks that use opelio/snow crab in gumbo here in Texas.

What's worse than that?

They season it up with Old Bay first, steam it,(even though its already been cooked) and then throw it into the pot.

I personally feel there should be a state judge handing out prison sentence's for such 'thangs.

I love this conversation.... *lights a cigarette and opens beeeeeeeer*. Hehehehehe. Any coon ass worth his salt knows that if you're going to put okra in a gumbo, you have to stew it down with tomatoes first to cook the "snot" out of it. But y'all do it however ya like. We have a joke down here that says "gumbo" is an old french word that means "yeah, trow (throw) dat in dere!"

I save the okra for seafood gumbo. I never mix seafood and poultry, but some here do like a chicken and shrimp gumbo. To me, it's an anomaly. Typically, seafood gumbo has a darker, thicker gravy and okra, while poultry gumbo is typically more "peanut butter" colored and thinner.

Scovie (Edit... ahem, OldSalty! Sorry!) wins honorary coon ass award with his turkey gumbo.

If adding okra is your thing, do that.... if not, then leave it out (like me!) No harm, no foul. You know us coon asses.... we'll bastardize any food.

texas blues said:
They season it up with Old Bay first, steam it,(even though its already been cooked) and then throw it into the pot.

I personally feel there should be a state judge handing out prison sentence's for such 'thangs.

Old Bay should be banned from seafood aisles. Hand those folks a bag of Zatairain's... slap the Old Bay out of their hands and say "here... try this instead"

I'm with Phil on this. Hahahahahahah

C'ept Oldsalty is the one that made this Turkey Gumbo???

He should get the coon ass award and his mom should be annointed queen coon ass.

Wait that doesn't sound right. 'Lady of the coon asses'? LOL

Phil said:
Any coon ass worth his salt knows that if you're going to put okra in a gumbo, you have to stew it down with tomatoes first to cook the "snot" out of it. But y'all do it however ya like. We have a joke down here that says "gumbo" is an old french word that means "yeah, trow (throw) dat in dere!"

But I thought the reason okra was used as a thickener was its gelatinous properties. Or you don't mean literally cook the snot "out" you mean cook it until it is snotty, tender, right? And use the "snot." If not, that's not what I knew.

Phil said:
I love this conversation.... *lights a cigarette and opens beeeeeeeer*. Hehehehehe. Any coon ass worth his salt knows that if you're going to put okra in a gumbo, you have to stew it down with tomatoes first to cook the "snot" out of it. But y'all do it however ya like. We have a joke down here that says "gumbo" is an old french word that means "yeah, trow (throw) dat in dere!"

I save the okra for seafood gumbo. I never mix seafood and poultry, but some here do like a chicken and shrimp gumbo. To me, it's an anomaly. Typically, seafood gumbo has a darker, thicker gravy and okra, while poultry gumbo is typically more "peanut butter" colored and thinner.

Scovie (Edit... ahem, OldSalty! Sorry!) wins honorary coon ass award with his turkey gumbo.

If adding okra is your thing, do that.... if not, then leave it out (like me!) No harm, no foul. You know us coon asses.... we'll bastardize any food.

Old Bay should be banned from seafood aisles. Hand those folks a bag of Zatairain's... slap the Old Bay out of their hands and say "here... try this instead"
Yeah you rat about dat! lol.
The Hot Pepper said:

But I thought the reason okra was used as a thickener was its gelatinous properties. Or you don't mean literally cook the snot "out" you mean cook it until it is snotty, tender, right? And use the "snot." If not, that's not what I knew.
Really it's just another vegetable. Roux is the thickener. And tomato does break down the stickiness of the okra.

hot stuff said:
Yeah you rat about dat! lol.

Really it's just another vegetable. Roux is the thickener. And tomato does break down the stickiness of the okra.

I know about roux. But okra can be used as the thickener by itself or in combo. Because it gels up, and that part gets incorporated with the dish, and the tender slices are left behind. That's what I knew as the basis of okra being important when used.

I literally mean cook the "snottiness" out of it. If you're going to use okra as the thickener, you need to use it sparingly, because it can turn the whole pot into a slimy mess if you use too much. Same with file.... add too much to a bowl, and it'll turn the whole thing to gelatin. Chop up your okra with some diced tomatoes and onions and stew it down in plain salted water. You will see the water literally turn snotty. When it does, strain it, refill with fresh water, and repeat until you get the desired consistency, then add that to your gumbo. Helps keep the viscosity under control.

Zatarain's instead of Old Bay? Who knew? The only thing I have seen anywhere here is Old Bay. We can't even get Cajun Seasoning. All the stores here have is Creole Seasoning.

View attachment 16921

We need to do some online shopping. Unfortunately CJ is making Gumbo for Hogleg's arrival on Monday.

Phil said:
I literally mean cook the "snottiness" out of it. If you're going to use okra as the thickener, you need to use it sparingly, because it can turn the whole pot into a slimy mess if you use too much. Same with file.... add too much to a bowl, and it'll turn the whole thing to gelatin. Chop up your okra with some diced tomatoes and onions and stew it down in plain salted water. You will see the water literally turn snotty. When it does, strain it, refill with fresh water, and repeat until you get the desired consistency, then add that to your gumbo. Helps keep the viscosity under control.

Fantastic tip! Thanks!

Yes I have had the soul side dish "okra and tomaotes" and it's like they add powdered gelatin it's so goopy. And the time I had it they added sugar. I was not a fan. But I love okra when done other ways. In gumbo. Fried okra. Pickled okra in a bloody mary!!!!! Mmmm.

It's also popular in many other cuisines. Indian and certain African.

Scoville DeVille said:
Zatarain's instead of Old Bay? Who knew? The only thing I have seen anywhere here is Old Bay. We can't even get Cajun Seasoning. All the stores here have is Creole Seasoning.

attachicon.gif
Creole-Seasoning-8oz-LG.jpg

We need to do some online shopping. Unfortunately CJ is making Gumbo for Hogleg's arrival on Monday.
They have a liquid and "crab bags". The bags have chilies, coriander, bay leaf, and a few other herbs. I'm guessing the liquid is some sort of distillation of what's in the bags.

http://www.mccormick.com/Zatarains/Products/Spices-and-Seasonings/Seafood-Boils/Crawfish-Shrimp-and-Crab-Boil-In-a-Bag

http://www.mccormick.com/Zatarains/Products/Spices-and-Seasonings/Seafood-Boils/Concentrated-Shrimp-and-Crab-Boil

Scoville DeVille said:

attachicon.gif
Creole-Seasoning-8oz-LG.jpg

Make your own. I know it's a combo of something like cayenne, garlic, onion, salt, and a couple other things but the cayenne is key! Phil??????? 

Back