• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Turtles

I told you previously about the turtles we rented with our house. The biggest one, a female, burried nine eggs in a sandpit in the yard as she did in former years. Our house owner supplied half of the village with turtles in the past. I put those nine eggs into the incubator about 70 days ago. Today the first little turtle cracked the shell.

IMG_8275.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

Dude ~

That's soooo cool! Mama gonna let you keep him? LOL!

How big will this fellow grow, Arm? Do you know the scientific name, perhaps?

Thanks for sharing -

huntsman said:
Dude ~

That's soooo cool! Mama gonna let you keep him? LOL!

How big will this fellow grow, Arm? Do you know the scientific name, perhaps?

Thanks for sharing -

He/she is a Testudo graeca. The mother is estimated 50 years old and 30 cm long.

MrArboc said:
Cool, always a treat to see new life begin. BTW - aren't those tortoises?

You are right. I always mix them up. In German all turtles and tortoises are "Schildkröten" no matter if they live in the water or on land. There are "Landschildkröten" and "Wasserschildkröten". In the States I often heard the word turtle for both, turtles and tortoises. Not too precise though.
Maybe I should use a dish of the "Roadkill Café" as a mnemonic: Tortoise mortis...;)

Armadillo said:
You are right. I always mix them up. In German all turtles and tortoises are "Schildkröten" no matter if they live in the water or on land. There are "Landschildkröten" and "Wasserschildkröten". In the States I often heard the word turtle for both, turtles and tortoises. Not too precise though.

In Sweden we say "landsköldpaddor" and "vattensköldpaddor" so I don't blame you for confusing them. And the north american box turtle is a turtle even though their living habits and apperance are more like that of a tortoise... ;-)

Give yourself a little pat on the back for doing a good thing even though you "just" rent the animals - Testudo graeca is a threatened species. (They also sell for about 150 Euro if all the papers and microchips are OK. Don't let them run away;) )

MrArboc said:
They also sell for about 150 Euro if all the papers and microchips are OK. Don't let them run away;)

:lol: For me it's a non-profit thing. I love to see them grow and to give them in good hands some day or even keep one or two if all nine eggs release a living babe. We already have three of them (to be precise the third is a Testudo hermanni) but there's a lot of space here.

so I suppose I would wrong in thinking about turtle soup huh...

I know...just kidding...

it sure is a cute thing...I raised a bunch when I was growing up...

Back