• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo's 2020 Grow Log

Well after looking through lots of glog's, I decided to try doing one myself.  Hopefully I can keep it updated regularly and improve with photo quality along the way.
That being said------I"M LATE!  Yep, this first post is 10 days late.  Meaning I started some seeds 10 days ago.  I guess my excuse is that we've been trying to get ready for the holidays here.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get on the 2019 seed train and when B train showed up here, I was able to get some seeds that I probably wouldn't have thought of getting on my own.

It's a little early to start my main grow but I wanted to get something going so I chose to start some wild seeds that I got off the train.  Some of these came from Canedog.  (The Cap. 524 and 1445 and Cumari Pollux I bought)

So on December 13th I started 8 varieties of seed.  8 in rock wool and 8 of the same varieties in seed starting mix.
Here is a pic of them in their General Tso's starting tray.  They are sitting on a heat mat.

IMG_1995.jpg

The first pepper was coming up on the 22nd so 9 days for my first one!  It was the CGN Cardenasii.  

IMG_1999.jpg

The cotyledon's are so tiny!

IMG_1998.jpg

I tried to upload a Page's drawing I made showing square's with the names of the peppers and their location but I can't upload it.  I get a "don't have permission" error when I try so for now I'll just do this manually.

Chacoense        Chacoense       C. Praetermissum       CGN
Puta Pario          CAP 524                                               Cardenasii
                                                                                       (sprout 12/22)                        (Seed Starting Mix)

Cumari              Rocopica           Chacoense                        ?
Pollux                Cardenasii          CAP 1445                    Unknown
                                X
                          UNK Rocoto
These are the seeds in the starting mix.  The rock wool cubes have the same seeds in the same order.
I'll try to get a photo and post later since I can't upload the file.  

(CD, hope I got the names right!)

I'll update as things progress.

Edited to add that the unknown listing is because the writing on the envelope got smeared and I couldn't make out the name.  I'm pretty sure it was a wild variety so I went ahead and planted them.  Hopefully they germinate and can be identified later.

Things are looking great, Tybo.  That's a lot of pods on the Rayado.  Seems like you'll have decent chances of getting those to red before the season ends.  Really odd about the brown on the 1242-X.  It looks a bit like a lighter brown in the picture. Do you notice that in person or is it darker?  And those wilds are definitely starting to become a jungle.

ze_test said:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  dude puta pario it's not the name... try to put in the translator to Portuguese to inglês   :lol:  it seems some kind of piri piri

It's named Puta Pario because that's what the pepper is supposed to make you say when you eat it due to its heat. :)  It's a variety of chacoense.

ze_test said:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  dude puta pario it's not the name... try to put in the translator to Portuguese to inglês   :lol:  it seems some kind of piri piri

I was given the seeds and they were labeled puta pario.  I just did a quick search and Wikipedia has this.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_chacoense
I don't know what it's called in Portugal but it doesn't look much like a piri piri to me but Ive never grown one.  Just seen them in pics.  
I may be wrong.

CaneDog said:
Things are looking great, Tybo.  That's a lot of pods on the Rayado.  Seems like you'll have decent chances of getting those to red before the season ends.  Really odd about the brown on the 1242-X.  It looks a bit like a lighter brown in the picture. Do you notice that in person or is it darker?  And those wilds are definitely starting to become a jungle.

It's named Puta Pario because that's what the pepper is supposed to make you say when you eat it due to its heat. :)  It's a variety of chacoense.

Thanks.  The Rayado pods are doing well albeit small.  Unless something drastic happens with the weather, they should ripen.
The pic I posted of the brown 1242's is pretty accurate.  There is a green undertone so maybe the color isn't finished yet.  I'll keep the glog updated on their outcome.  I'll probably leave them on the plant a little longer to see what happens.

Siv said:
I'm slowly falling out of love with hydro. Despite my best efforts, it's challenging to get right without putting in a lot of work. Admittedly this is only my second season growing in earnest but soil seems so much less bother.

Hope you stick with it.  Ive enjoyed following your glog.  Maybe on a smaller scale?

HeatMiser said:
Oh yes, kratky is everything but "set it and forget it" as most online sources would say. I had a dutch bucket system set up indoors with room for 4 plants. It did great the 3 grows I used it for, and checking ph/changing nutes was way easier than kratky, but it just looked awful. At least with kratky I can move plants around and the black buckets are better looking, but that's about it.

I've seen people have success outdoors with a dutch bucket system set up against one side of their house. This might be worth a try!

Agree.  Things always sound easier in print!  Even though it was a pain at times I'll probably still have a couple next season anyway.  Maybe.  

Just a quick pic update on the off color 1242 rocotos.  Some of the peppers are dark orange and some are brown.  This pic shows both.

1242.jpeg

Seems like I've noticed that rocotos don't have a very long "shelf" life.  That is, once they are harvested, they don't last very long on the counter before they start getting soft and getting bad spots in them.  Is this common for them?

Hey Tybo.  Those 1242's look great!  I'm going to take a guess that the pods are simply slow to have their chlorophyll degrade.  That would explain why I've seen them show an "off" orange color early at times before ripening to a rich orange.  Your certainly getting more of the "off" color than I did, but I suspect you'll transition through it and end on orange - or at least an off-orange.  Mostly a guess, but it'll be curious to see how they turn out.

I don't remember noticing rocotos lasting any less time than average, but I have had them get soft sitting around too long before.  I was just noticing today, though, how a ripe bunch of Aji Lucento had stayed firm on the plant for a good while before I got around to pulling them this afternoon.  Who knows, maybe they prefer to be left on the plant vs. the counter  :)

Tybo, Tybo, Tybo.......

Dooooooood! I got your seeds today and they look fantastic! Very fantastic! I love the look of gnarly seeds. They don’t pop off the seedling as easily as flat seeds, but I LOVE to see them. It really means nothing, but to me, it means a G-Narly pod! A lot of flat iso seeds that I WILL use!
X2SqXsX.jpg

I cloned my keeper cinder and it seems to be “staying alive“. ( :dance: John Travolta :dance: )
I air layered it for 3-4 weeks then clip and plant. <hanging out with the toys>
pO1xHP5.jpg

Here’s a pod from that plant
3DTjVN8.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your hard work and “stick-to-it-ive-ness”. I really do appreciate it!!!!

:dance: :woohoo: :dance:
-Adam

Just a little update.  I have cut down and gotten rid of all of the wilds.  They were pretty much done.  I did cut the galapagoense WAY back to try to overwinter it.  I hated to cut it back as much as I did for fear that I would kill it but Ive cut others further back than this and they lived.  I cut the roots back also, sprayed everything with neem mix and brought it inside.  Hang in there Galap!
Galap.jpeg

The Chile Rayados are hanging tough.  The fruit is really small, maybe due to being in 3 gallon containers.  They are corking though and I finally see one of them turning red.
rayado.jpeg

rayripe.jpeg

Edited to add that I had one of the rayados with dinner tonight and they have a really good taste and pack a bigger punch than the store bought jalapeños Ive gotten.  

I also trimmed back my bonchi datil that's been outside this summer and brought it in.  Ive gotten a lot of peppers from this little plant this year.  I left a few on here to continue ripening.  Some are ready to pick.  Actually, I should take all of the pods off since I trimmed it back.  It's probably stressed enough.

datil.jpeg

My last reaper still has pods on it.  I'll let them ripen up and then get rid of it.  Things are winding down for this grow season.
Already looking forward to starting more seeds!  That'll be a few months though.  

reaper.jpeg

Hey Tybo.  Great to hear about the rayado!  I have some fruit set on mine, but I'm probably a long way from ripe pods. Hearing about that "bigger punch" I'm really excited for these now.  Glad to see you're doing an OW on the Galap.  I've heard that when they're grown in big containers they don't always produce well in year 1 - but look out in year 2!

CaneDog said:
Hey Tybo.  Great to hear about the rayado!  I have some fruit set on mine, but I'm probably a long way from ripe pods. Hearing about that "bigger punch" I'm really excited for these now.  Glad to see you're doing an OW on the Galap.  I've heard that when they're grown in big containers they don't always produce well in year 1 - but look out in year 2!

+1, there's a HUGE difference between store-bought and home-grown Jalapenos in terms of heat and flavor. This makes growing the humble Jalapeno totally worth it IMHO. 

I meant to add this "before" pic of the galapagoense before cutting back.  Close to 4' tall!  
CD, I think what you heard about them being grown in big containers (if 5 gallons is big) and not producing well is true.  The plant had lots of fruit on it but only a few actually ripened.  Hopefully it rebounds after the drastic cut back and makes it through the winter.

gala.jpeg

HeatMiser said:

+1, there's a HUGE difference between store-bought and home-grown Jalapenos in terms of heat and flavor. This makes growing the humble Jalapeno totally worth it IMHO. 

++1 HM.  My wife commented that I was sniffing a lot for having just a jalapeño!   :rolleyes:

Tybo said:
I meant to add this "before" pic of the galapagoense before cutting back.  Close to 4' tall!  
CD, I think what you heard about them being grown in big containers (if 5 gallons is big) and not producing well is true.  The plant had lots of fruit on it but only a few actually ripened.  Hopefully it rebounds after the drastic cut back and makes it through the winter.

Wow, that really is a beast - we may have to check your run-off for evidence of PED's!  :)

Looks like it has a lot of pods on it, too. If you'd had another month or so of warm weather we'd be seeing plenty of red on that plant.

Looks like things are winding down there, Ty.

It would be great to see it really come back strong!

After a little cold snap we are back to near 80F.  This warm stretch is helping the last of the pods finish ripening.
The last of the reaper pods are turning red:
reaper.jpeg

Chile Rayado's are trying to finish up:
greenray.jpeg

ray.jpeg

Im impressed with these and will definitely grow some next year.  They are small though.  Hopefully its just because of the small pots.  Maybe I can get them in the ground next time and see if that helps.  Hopefully Macmex can chime in and let us know how big they get.

I still have Bhuter's Cinder, a couple bonnets and a Charapita that are finishing up.  They are in the back yard and I don't have any pics of them right now.  All of the wilds have been disposed of except for the galapagoense which is inside.  

Cant wait to start some more seeds.

Ive been drying some of the late arrivals.  My dehydrator isn't getting near the business as Ive seen PaulG's but its been taking about 4 days per load to dry out at ~110F.  

Here are some Cinders, a few Datils and a very few reapers.
cinderdatil reaper.jpeg

The next tray is loaded with Fatalii's.
fatalii.jpeg

These pics were from last week.  I currently have a whole tray of cinder's and another full of reapers.  I put the dehydrator in the basement and let me tell you it was rough down there the first 24hours.  The vapor's from those superhots were STRONG.  Seems like after about 24 hours things settle down.  (or maybe I get used to it)
I know the reaper has the title of being the hottest but those cinder's are right up there.  At least with my uncalibrated taste buds!

Went out back today to see if anything was ready to pick.  There were a few bonnets ready but they all had bug holes in them.  The Aji Charapita was loaded with some ripe ones.

chara.jpeg

I picked these and there are quite a few green pods still on the plant.  If the weather holds out I should get plenty more.  
I have dried a bunch of these.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what else to do with them?  Anything authentic?
Thanks

Back