• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo's 2020 Grow Log

Well after looking through lots of glog's, I decided to try doing one myself.  Hopefully I can keep it updated regularly and improve with photo quality along the way.
That being said------I"M LATE!  Yep, this first post is 10 days late.  Meaning I started some seeds 10 days ago.  I guess my excuse is that we've been trying to get ready for the holidays here.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get on the 2019 seed train and when B train showed up here, I was able to get some seeds that I probably wouldn't have thought of getting on my own.

It's a little early to start my main grow but I wanted to get something going so I chose to start some wild seeds that I got off the train.  Some of these came from Canedog.  (The Cap. 524 and 1445 and Cumari Pollux I bought)

So on December 13th I started 8 varieties of seed.  8 in rock wool and 8 of the same varieties in seed starting mix.
Here is a pic of them in their General Tso's starting tray.  They are sitting on a heat mat.

IMG_1995.jpg

The first pepper was coming up on the 22nd so 9 days for my first one!  It was the CGN Cardenasii.  

IMG_1999.jpg

The cotyledon's are so tiny!

IMG_1998.jpg

I tried to upload a Page's drawing I made showing square's with the names of the peppers and their location but I can't upload it.  I get a "don't have permission" error when I try so for now I'll just do this manually.

Chacoense        Chacoense       C. Praetermissum       CGN
Puta Pario          CAP 524                                               Cardenasii
                                                                                       (sprout 12/22)                        (Seed Starting Mix)

Cumari              Rocopica           Chacoense                        ?
Pollux                Cardenasii          CAP 1445                    Unknown
                                X
                          UNK Rocoto
These are the seeds in the starting mix.  The rock wool cubes have the same seeds in the same order.
I'll try to get a photo and post later since I can't upload the file.  

(CD, hope I got the names right!)

I'll update as things progress.

Edited to add that the unknown listing is because the writing on the envelope got smeared and I couldn't make out the name.  I'm pretty sure it was a wild variety so I went ahead and planted them.  Hopefully they germinate and can be identified later.

skullbiker said:
What do you think of the taste/flavor/heat on the Gelbe Riesen Rocotos?

I liked them.  Lots of heat and a decent taste.  I thought a little bitter at first.  I like the Aji Oro's better but I've only gotten 1 of them so far.  

+1 Tybo, those gelbe riessen pods look great. 

Are those by chance from seeds marked "gelbe riesen var?"  I grow two GR's. One tends toward square 4-lobed pods and the "var" (variant) tends to grow more that shape.  My "vars" often have an orange tint to them - maybe because it's often cooler here - but your pods are a more brilliant yellow.

CD, I'll have to try to round up the seed packet or go back through my pics.  Chances are that I didnt label the "var." portion though.  I'll dig around. 

I up potted these Chile Rayado's earlier in the week.  These are 3 gallon pots.   I was checking them out this morning and wanted to get some pics for the glog.  Notice how hairy these things are!  The stems look like they are covered in fuzz.  I've got lemon spice jalapeño's that aren't nearly as hairy as these.  They are getting decent size also considering they were late starts.
Hope they make it to maturity.

IMG_2538.jpeg

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2536.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2539.jpeg

Edited to correct autocorrect.  Again.

Everything is looking good, Ty.

Good to,see some pods rolling in for you!

The Chili Rayado's are starting to bud up and bloom now so I was quick to get some bags over a few for isolation.
Pic before opening (right side)
1.jpeg

Bagged
2.jpeg

This bloom was open already
raybl.jpeg

I put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag over an entire Rayado plant in order to isolate more blooms before they open.  I took a pic but the focus was horrible so Im leaving it out.

I was able to catch some buds on my 7 pot Cinder before they opened and slipped a wedding favor bag over them.  Today I see I have an open bloom!  I tapped all around the bloom hoping to pollinate it.
cinderbloom.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg

I'll add this pic of a ferment I started with my fataliis and some yellow bells.  This is a 4% salt ferment with 1/2 tsp of caldwells starter culture to help kick it off.  I trimmed a cabbage leaf for the top and added a glass weight to keep everything submerged.  Not sure how long I'll let it go.
ferment.jpeg

Shoot, Tybo, your Rayado are really outdoing mine.  I think we started within a week of each other, but it seems I lost a lot of ground along the way :)  Jalapenos tend to grow somewhat slowly in our local maritime climate - they sure seem to like yours, though!

And nice work isolating for seeds.  Those are both great ones to be saving.

Tybo said:
The Chili Rayado's are starting to bud up and bloom now so I was quick to get some bags over a few for isolation.
Pic before opening (right side)
attachicon.gif
1.jpeg

Bagged
attachicon.gif
2.jpeg

This bloom was open already
attachicon.gif
raybl.jpeg

I put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag over an entire Rayado plant in order to isolate more blooms before they open.  I took a pic but the focus was horrible so Im leaving it out.

I was able to catch some buds on my 7 pot Cinder before they opened and slipped a wedding favor bag over them.  Today I see I have an open bloom!  I tapped all around the bloom hoping to pollinate it.
attachicon.gif
cinderbloom.jpeg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2562.jpeg

I'll add this pic of a ferment I started with my fataliis and some yellow bells.  This is a 4% salt ferment with 1/2 tsp of caldwells starter culture to help kick it off.  I trimmed a cabbage leaf for the top and added a glass weight to keep everything submerged.  Not sure how long I'll let it go.
attachicon.gif
ferment.jpeg
:dance: :woohoo: :dance:
FANTASTIC WORK, TYBO!!!!!

Thank you very much for isolating your Cinder blooms! And they look like they have the longer flower petals, too! I have one with really long petal/big blooms! And your leaves are the "Bhut-Shape" that I like: More straight with wavy sides instead of 7 Pot Heart-Shaped.

I'm so happy you have done that! I WILL use your F6 seeds, isolated or not.......I like what I've seen so far on the plant.

You rock!!!!

Picked some peppers this morning.  Bonnets and these Cinders.  
The first four are Cinders, 2 of the light brown color and 2 deep burgundy color(open pollinated).  Im not the best with naming colors so hopefully the pics are good enough for you all to tell.
Hey Bhuter.  Are any of these the correct color and pheno?  The red pepper all the way on the right is a 7 Pot Primo.  (Definitely red)
Cinder:primo.jpeg

I didnt get a pic of the others yet.  Gotta to mow but maybe later.

Thought Id mention that I have a a couple of wedding favor bags on the Cinder plant trying to isolate some blooms.  I finally have 1 pod growing inside one of the bags.  
Ive had the worse luck trying to isolate blooms this year.  In the other bag, all of the blooms fell off without producing!  My other pepper plants that Ive tried isolating, both bags and glue, haven't worked either.  The buds just fall off.  What am I doing wrong?  
At least I have 1 cinder growing that is isolated.  Hope it don't fall off!

Tybo said:
Picked some peppers this morning.  Bonnets and these Cinders.  
The first four are Cinders, 2 of the light brown color and 2 deep burgundy color(open pollinated).  Im not the best with naming colors so hopefully the pics are good enough for you all to tell.
Hey Bhuter.  Are any of these the correct color and pheno?  The red pepper all the way on the right is a 7 Pot Primo.  (Definitely red)
attachicon.gif
Cinder:primo.jpeg

I didnt get a pic of the others yet.  Gotta to mow but maybe later.

Tybo said:
Thought Id mention that I have a a couple of wedding favor bags on the Cinder plant trying to isolate some blooms.  I finally have 1 pod growing inside one of the bags.  
Ive had the worse luck trying to isolate blooms this year.  In the other bag, all of the blooms fell off without producing!  My other pepper plants that Ive tried isolating, both bags and glue, haven't worked either.  The buds just fall off.  What am I doing wrong?  
At least I have 1 cinder growing that is isolated.  Hope it don't fall off!
Dude! Dude, dude, DOOOOOOOOOD........!!!!!
Those are perfect! All of them! I can't choose just one! Thank you for your hard work isolating. It's a huge pain. I've tried for 5 years to get isolates on OG BBG7 and SB7J. I tried bagging the whole BBG plant.......nothing for 1.5 months. I took it off and tried glue. First try got it!

SB7J is just as difficult. This year, crosses are taking and not isolates. So I thought "why not try 'crossing' with the same plant?" I emasculated a flower and took pollen from the same plant. IT FINALLY TOOOOOOOK!!!!!

It's just the luck of the draw. My first cross this year, I did two cuz they never all work. They BOTH took.

I love those Cinders! Perfection!!!!!

Yes! I really hope that pod hangs on!

Thank you very much!!!

Thanks Adam.  I'll keep trying if I keep getting buds.  Wish I knew why Im having such a difficult time though.  I even go out and shake the stems and tap on the flowers to try to spread some pollen.

A few pics for an update.
I have 2 CAP 1242 rocotos growing and Im getting brownish pods on one of them.  I got a few pods earlier on that were yellowish orange so not sure why these are brown.  Maybe the yellow/orange pods came from the other plant.  I cant remember.
brown.jpeg

brown1242.jpeg

The Chilli Rayado plants are doing well.  There are quite a few peppers on them even though they are small.  Hope they mature.  I would like to save some seeds.
ray.jpeg

ray2.jpeg

There is a guy that is supposed to be coming to do some grading of my yard due to rain water gathering at the house.  I say supposed to because he was supposed to be here the first week of August.  Anyway, I moved all of my moveable plants to pallets on the side of the house to get them out of the way.  Looks like a jungle now.  Here are a few of them.  Mostly the wilds in this shot.
pallet.jpeg

Better throw in this pic of the bonchi Datil before I go.  Quite a few pods on it.  Ive already taken a few from it.
bonchi.jpeg

This Galapagoense has gotten pretty big.  There are lots of dark green pods on it and a few ripe ones I haven't noticed until today.  The ripe ones are toward the bottom.
gala.jpeg

galaclose.jpeg

The CAP 524 chacoense has been the most productive plant of the wilds Im growing.  Every time I pick it clean it blooms again!  Im pretty impressed with this one.  The pods are quite spicy and they have a good flavor.  Ill probably grow it again next year.  I might even try to overwinter it.
CAP524.jpeg

Another good producer is this Puta Pario.  Not quite as prolific as the 524 but its up there.  It is a chacoense also so maybe they are like this.  
puta pario.jpeg

I didnt get those in the pics did I.  Actually the first pic shows a fatalii in a blue bucket with a white lid.  To the right of the wooden upright.  It did very well until one of the storms we had.  It took some damage but it is still producing.  The BOC which is not in the pics has been a monster.  I could only estimate how many pods that thing has produced but Id say more than 5lbs anyway.  Honestly I cant say if it was due to hydro or just a very good producer in the first place!

I like growing hydroponically although it's a lot more work.  At least the kratky method I was using.  IE I didnt have a reservoir so I would have to mix chemicals and refill the buckets at least every week during the hot weather.  They would drink up all of the nutrient water.  Especially that monster BOC.
Another issue I had was keeping the plants upright during thunderstorms.  Even though I used fencing as cages, some of the really windy storms reeked havoc on the plants.  Actually turned over the 5 gallon buckets a few times and scattered things everywhere.  I could have anchored them to the ground better I guess but I needed to be able to move them.  (We've been trying to get our yard graded since the middle of the summer but getting a contractor to actually show up seems to be like pulling hens teeth)  Yeah, Im bitter about that.  Seems contractors don't even bother calling when they don't show up as promised!  Seems customer service has really gone to he#l.  But,        I digress.

I would really like to have a dutch bucket system but looks like having a greenhouse is the way to go with them.  I don't think that will happen so who knows what is in store for next season.  I'll at least do a couple more kratky grows.  

Oh yes, kratky is everything but "set it and forget it" as most online sources would say. I had a dutch bucket system set up indoors with room for 4 plants. It did great the 3 grows I used it for, and checking ph/changing nutes was way easier than kratky, but it just looked awful. At least with kratky I can move plants around and the black buckets are better looking, but that's about it.

I've seen people have success outdoors with a dutch bucket system set up against one side of their house. This might be worth a try!

Tybo said:
This Galapagoense has gotten pretty big.  There are lots of dark green pods on it and a few ripe ones I haven't noticed until today.  The ripe ones are toward the bottom.
attachicon.gif
gala.jpeg
attachicon.gif
galaclose.jpeg

The CAP 524 chacoense has been the most productive plant of the wilds Im growing.  Every time I pick it clean it blooms again!  Im pretty impressed with this one.  The pods are quite spicy and they have a good flavor.  Ill probably grow it again next year.  I might even try to overwinter it.
attachicon.gif
CAP524.jpeg

Another good producer is this Puta Pario.  Not quite as prolific as the 524 but its up there.  It is a chacoense also so maybe they are like this.  
attachicon.gif
puta pario.jpeg

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  dude puta pario it's not the name... try to put in the translator to Portuguese to inglês   :lol:  it seems some kind of piri piri

Back