• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo's 2020 Grow Log

Well after looking through lots of glog's, I decided to try doing one myself.  Hopefully I can keep it updated regularly and improve with photo quality along the way.
That being said------I"M LATE!  Yep, this first post is 10 days late.  Meaning I started some seeds 10 days ago.  I guess my excuse is that we've been trying to get ready for the holidays here.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get on the 2019 seed train and when B train showed up here, I was able to get some seeds that I probably wouldn't have thought of getting on my own.

It's a little early to start my main grow but I wanted to get something going so I chose to start some wild seeds that I got off the train.  Some of these came from Canedog.  (The Cap. 524 and 1445 and Cumari Pollux I bought)

So on December 13th I started 8 varieties of seed.  8 in rock wool and 8 of the same varieties in seed starting mix.
Here is a pic of them in their General Tso's starting tray.  They are sitting on a heat mat.

IMG_1995.jpg

The first pepper was coming up on the 22nd so 9 days for my first one!  It was the CGN Cardenasii.  

IMG_1999.jpg

The cotyledon's are so tiny!

IMG_1998.jpg

I tried to upload a Page's drawing I made showing square's with the names of the peppers and their location but I can't upload it.  I get a "don't have permission" error when I try so for now I'll just do this manually.

Chacoense        Chacoense       C. Praetermissum       CGN
Puta Pario          CAP 524                                               Cardenasii
                                                                                       (sprout 12/22)                        (Seed Starting Mix)

Cumari              Rocopica           Chacoense                        ?
Pollux                Cardenasii          CAP 1445                    Unknown
                                X
                          UNK Rocoto
These are the seeds in the starting mix.  The rock wool cubes have the same seeds in the same order.
I'll try to get a photo and post later since I can't upload the file.  

(CD, hope I got the names right!)

I'll update as things progress.

Edited to add that the unknown listing is because the writing on the envelope got smeared and I couldn't make out the name.  I'm pretty sure it was a wild variety so I went ahead and planted them.  Hopefully they germinate and can be identified later.

Tybo said:
Hey CD, the label reads CGN Cardenasii only.  I took a pic of one of the blooms.  I'll have to rely on your expertise to ID it.  
attachicon.gif
cgn.png

Well shoot, Tybo, I remember seeing this the day you posted it.  I guess I hit the snooze button to reply later and forgot.  I'd bet that crossed with a rocoto, so probably it's an F1 Rocopica.  CAP 1491 Eximium is a possible father, but my CAP 1491 Eximium x USDA Cardenasii F1 grows more like a Cardenasii and that's more a rocoto growth pattern, so I suspect not. 

I semi-isolated the CGN Card's off the deck in a shady location near the edge of my property thinking I'd get true seeds, but they really like to cross with rocotos and apparently that wasn't far enough t prevent it.  I grew brown, red, orange, and yellow rocotos last season, so after the F1's , which should be red, there's a lot of potential colors the cross could take in the F2. 

Tybo said:
I found a small ripe CAP 1242 today so I cut it up and had it with dinner tonight.  The only pubescence that I've tried was Aji Oro last year.  I remember liking it and this one was good also.  I think I will try to grow more pubescence in the future.  I like the thick walls (flavorful and juicy) and especially like the heat.  I find it a different heat than my usual chinense and annum peppers.  

attachicon.gif
1242.jpeg

I'm really a fan of the CAP 1242's after growing them for the first time last season.  The color was more orange for me than the the off-yellow I was expecting - maybe an effect my cooler climate - but a super cool color.  The pods also had a a partial neck on them, which I bet your bigger pods will have too.

And count another vote for breakfast reaper!

Reading through SkullBikers 2019 glog and his use of Fermented Seed Sprout Tea.  I remembered that we had some alfalfa seeds in the cabinet for sprouts.  (Broccoli too but I don't think they'll work).
I threw about 2 tablespoons into this quart jar and soaked them overnight, attached some cheesecloth with a rubber band and drained them today.  I've since rinsed and drained them 4 times today.  Hopefully they'll sprout in the next day or two and I'll blend them up with some sugar and veggie starter culture and let them ferment a while.

Alphal.jpeg

I recently started some of Pollenut's crosses so I'll try this stuff out on them!
Thanks SB.  

Tybo said:
Reading through SkullBikers 2019 glog and his use of Fermented Seed Sprout Tea.  I remembered that we had some alfalfa seeds in the cabinet for sprouts.  (Broccoli too but I don't think they'll work).
I threw about 2 tablespoons into this quart jar and soaked them overnight, attached some cheesecloth with a rubber band and drained them today.  I've since rinsed and drained them 4 times today.  Hopefully they'll sprout in the next day or two and I'll blend them up with some sugar and veggie starter culture and let them ferment a while.

attachicon.gif
Alphal.jpeg
I recently started some of Pollenut's crosses so I'll try this stuff out on them!
Thanks SB.  

CARRY ON.............

9CDE973A-B7DB-476C-820A-3E24C0058CDC.jpeg

FSST update.
These sprouts have grown at least a 1/2" in 24hrs so from what Ive read, I think they are ready to start fermenting.

sprouts.jpeg

After some rinsing and weighing, adding sugar, starter culture and blendering I now have the potion ready to begin its conversion to, well, we'll see.

IMG_2515.png

I left plenty of room for expansion in this 1/2 gallon jar in case it's a really active ferment.  (I saw where someone's spewed out the top.)
Now it will have to ferment for awhile.  This will give me time to figure out how to use this stuff.  There seems to be conflicting info on several different websites.  
Any help?

Pretty good pheno on that reaper Tybo... never tried one myself, but they're on my grow list for next year! 

Superhots make great powder that we add to stuff like pho... a little definitely goes a long way!

HeatMiser said:
Pretty good pheno on that reaper Tybo... never tried one myself, but they're on my grow list for next year! 

Superhots make great powder that we add to stuff like pho... a little definitely goes a long way!

Honestly, I didnt expect much taste from eating it raw.  I've heard that reapers make a great tasting sauce and I'd like to try my hand at making some but I only had the one pepper.  
Maybe after our current record setting heat wave my plants will get lots of blooms and set more fruit.  Blooms are really scarce right now.

ahayastani said:

Well, illumination by the Pepper God of course! You mean you didn't see the bright white light at the end of the tunnel? Perhaps you have to up your dose a bit...
Oh, I saw illumination but it was from the fire going on in my mouth.  
I've got some 7 pot Primos ripening up right now.  I expect more of the same from that pepper also.

Picked a few peppers today.
Left to right: CAP 1242 Rocoto, seeds from CGN Cardenasii, 7 Pot Primo and a few Bhut Orange Copenhagen.  I tasted the CGN so all that's left is seeds. As a matter of fact seeds and skin was just about all there was.  

harvest.jpeg

We've been getting quite a few squash this year.  The wife found a recipe for pickled squash so we canned 4 pints to see if we liked it.  I got to taste the leftovers and it was pretty good.  It consists of squash, onions and pimento's and we had the pimento's from our grow this year.

sq.jpeg

We were out of Cowboy Candy and Kroger had a pretty good selection of jalapeños so we bought almost 7 pounds.  Spent a little time slicing them up and cooking and canning.  The almost 7 pounds only yielded 5 pints but they'll last us a little while.

candy.jpeg

There was pickling juice leftover so we canned it to use as marinade and such.

juice.jpeg

Picked a few this morning.
Sungold tomatos, BOCs, 7 pot Primos and 1 fatalii.  My BOC plant is loaded with pods.
harvest.jpeg

Picked this Gelbe Riesen last night and cut it up for dinner.  First bite from the bottom of the pod had no heat and great taste. I couldn't believe it had no heat and was a little disappointed.  Next slice, being further up the pod was a different story.  Quite a bit of heat and still good taste.  So far I'm liking the rocotos.  I'm already planning on growing more next year.  That means I'll have to cut back on something else.  At least I have lot's of time to decide.

gelberiesen.jpeg

skullbiker said:
Good looking rocoto pod. Don’t lose that fatalii before you weigh it!

As someone a while back once said "I cannot tell a lie".  That is a yellow fatalii, not one of the orange sse pods.  I think my growdown plant is a "let down" plant.  It's the plant that was loaded with aphids that I sprayed with the pyrethrin.  It's still alive and looking better but there aren't any blooms on it since the attack and the spray.  Hopefully it will rebound.

Pic from yesterday of my CAP 524 Chacoense showing ripening.
IMG_2524.jpeg

And this morning there were several ripened so I picked them and gave a couple a taste.  Decent heat and good taste.  Too bad that there isn't much other than seeds and skin.  Hopefully I'll get enough at one time to make a powder.
IMG_2525.jpeg

Had another Gelbe Riesen ready to pick.  Thats 2 of them so far.
gelbe.jpeg

I also picked some more BOC pods but the pic didnt come out good enough to post.  I've got a lot of them so far.  Time to ferment a batch!  

Back