• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

typical color change

Depends on the type.  Chocolate habs that I grow go from green to brown.  Douglah's seem to go a little redder before brown.

Yeah, it really does depend on the individual pepper species.  I have not grown any of your varieties, though; so I really can't comment on what they should typically progress to.  Are you seeing some color changes that don't seem quite right to you?

millworkman said:
Depends on the type.  Chocolate habs that I grow go from green to brown.  Douglah's seem to go a little redder before brown.

Interesting. My douglahs tend to get brown after green, then get a reddish tinge to the brown when they're fully ripe. If I pick them when they're just brown, they're often still green inside. Weird that you seem to be having the opposite experience with the same variety.

compmodder26 said:
Yeah, it really does depend on the individual pepper species.  I have not grown any of your varieties, though; so I really can't comment on what they should typically progress to.  Are you seeing some color changes that don't seem quite right to you?
No all are still green but since this is my first attempt at growing chocolates so I really was just wondering what to expect. I have a not-chocolate scorpion that I got from nick that is turning orange so I will be interested to see where it ends up...but other than that all is going as expected

geeme said:

Interesting. My douglahs tend to get brown after green, then get a reddish tinge to the brown when they're fully ripe. If I pick them when they're just brown, they're often still green inside. Weird that you seem to be having the opposite experience with the same variety.

But that is suggesting that we have even remotely the same strain :)  I do hate how there are too many different types that people mis-name or rename...  But that is another thread.

My chocolate bhuts and habanero's go from green to brown. Only in cooler weather like fall do I get off color variances. Say my red bhuts got threw an orange phase. An some just stay orange.

Back