Uh OH!

I decided to invest in a CAST IRON skillet

IMG00686.jpg

I am now curing it / seasoning it right now to get it ready for some action.
If any one has anytips or ideas on the best ways to use and maintain. Even some cool recipes would be cool as well. all look out ya got another CI user!!:cool:

Yes....burn things....wipe clean with nothing more abrasive than a wet paper towel......and oil with animal fat (bacon grease) before storing.

btw. Nate....you can pick up some great deals on OLD and well seasoned skillets and CI of all sorts on eBay....check it out!

You're not supposed to cook acidic things like tomato sauce, but some people do. The best way to cook with it is use it for everything, and you'll figure out what it's good for.

Good purchase it'll last you a lifetime, but please get rid of that Emeril face its making me sick:) Emerilware lol

LOL yeah I hope you didn't pay a lot because of that face.

Ms Noshow and I received a gift certificate to Macy's from her mom. We were planning on getting clothes, then we entered the kitchen department and we went :crazy:. this Cast Iron was the only one they sold:( but it was 40 something and was only 20 something any ways i was deaD SET ON A cAST Iron pan. she got crock pot and garlic press.

I think im gonna leave his face up theyre :lol:

I have been hearing and reading. to actually use soap after each use and then some people are saying not to. they say if you don't use soap the oil will go bad if too much on it or something. I am coating it now with oil and cooking the pan for30 to 60 minutes between 300 and 400 degrees then letting it cool and then repeating the process to build a strong seasoning bond. I just returned from the store and acquired some dinner items NY strip on the list!

Ima thinkin I wanna do a quick sear on the CI then on the grill maybe w/ a few wood chips for a slight smoke taste?

oh yeah this is what i read.

Important:
Unless you use your cast-iron pans daily, they should be washed briefly with a little soapy water and then rinsed and thoroughly dried in order to rid them of excess surface oil. If you do not do this, the surplus oil will become rancid within a couple of days.

?

Noshownate said:

Important:
Unless you use your cast-iron pans daily, they should be washed briefly with a little soapy water and then rinsed and thoroughly dried in order to rid them of excess surface oil. If you do not do this, the surplus oil will become rancid within a couple of days.

?

Nashow, that is how my grandmother always care for her pans, and I believe they are still in use today (way older than I :lol: ) Great find, I wish I had a Macy's here where I live. Also, the NY Strips sounds great!

Tell Ms. Nashow I said Hi and that now she has a crock pot, I'll expect to be seeing some crock pot creations posted soon. :)

My cast iron hasn't touched a sink since I bought it years ago. Wipe it clean, store it in paper grocery bags, keep in a cool place.

Noshownate said:
If any one has anytips or ideas on the best ways to use and maintain.

Nate, here's a few "tips" I follow.

To season a new skillet, apply animal fat and throw on campfire. Retrieve, cool, repeat until you have a nice carbon layer. If no outdoor fire available, turn on vent and use stove.

Don't use "spray anything in a can" as a lubricant.

To clean, do not use soap and water. Rather:
-Cover bottom of skillet with water (about 1/4 inch)
-Heat on stovetop until boiling.
-While boiling, use metal spatula and scrape until all food remnants loosened.
-Pour out boiling water and immediately wipe out with clean paper towel.
-Add small amount of vegetable oil (NOT animal - it turns rancid) to skillet and lightly coat with clean, dry paper towel.

Now it's ready for storage. You need do nothing more.

When I lived in Texas, we went fishing nearly every weekend. We'd camp out at one of the campgrounds. We'd fillet the days catch on the bank, build a campfire, pull out the skillet, dip the filet's and fry 'em right then and there. When done, we'd pour out the excess oil, then throw the pan into the fire upside down. After it had cooked off, we'd pull it out, cool it down, wipe it out, season with a little veggie oil and put it in camper for next time. Done deal.

Noshownate said:
Ms Noshow and I received a gift certificate to Macy's from her mom. We were planning on getting clothes, then we entered the kitchen department and we went :crazy:. this Cast Iron was the only one they sold:( but it was 40 something and was only 20 something any ways i was deaD SET ON A cAST Iron pan. she got crock pot and garlic press.

I think im gonna leave his face up theyre :lol:

I have been hearing and reading. to actually use soap after each use and then some people are saying not to. they say if you don't use soap the oil will go bad if too much on it or something. I am coating it now with oil and cooking the pan for30 to 60 minutes between 300 and 400 degrees then letting it cool and then repeating the process to build a strong seasoning bond. I just returned from the store and acquired some dinner items NY strip on the list!

Ima thinkin I wanna do a quick sear on the CI then on the grill maybe w/ a few wood chips for a slight smoke taste?

Important:

?

If you use soap on that pan, I SWEAR I will hunt you down......

SOAP=C/I FAIL!!!!

ok paul i wont use soap and havent yet i just cookde two NY Strips last night not pics sorry:(
But i seared each side for like 30 seconds then in oven a few minutes on each side. wiped pan out and left on the burner to dry while it was cooling down.

I believe if see see on discovery channel (i could be wrong on the channel here) on HOW IT's MADE (might be science channel). Anyway they have one on Lodge CI and how it's make. At the plant they do run it through a waster with soap, but they don't recommend using soap to wash it once you have it. just my 2cents.

Soo much controversy on CI care. Soap or no soap is the question the directions say to use soap but i really dont; want paulky to hunt me down :)

I have been curing it like all day eveyday thta i am home i have been coating and coating this thing to get a nice carbon layer.
hope i can use it correctly!

once they get seasoned, no soap is needed to clean them...if you have stuff burnt on the bottom, simply put a little water in the pan and put it on a hot burner...then take a scrubit (one of those green non metalic scrubbers) and go to work...most of the time you won't even need that, just wipe clean...I use mine so often, I don't even have to coat it between uses....

Back