• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Uknow 2021. It's been a while...

Hey all!

Took a while off from posting and didn't grow anything at all last year, sadly. Decided to get something going this year, albeit a lot smaller than my usual grows. Only started 40 plants (double seeds so 80 total) this year on February 25th. Started them in 3.5" pots instead of cells, I figure since im way behind my usual start date of early January, the extra room will help them grow faster and I won't have to transplant them right away.

Currently remodeling the house so I had to downsize my setup to make it easier to move around as needed (going to be starting drywall soon).

Seeds and varieties this year are all from my 2017 & 2018 seasons (didn't save any from my 2019 grow) and other members. Some from Genitix, Jedi Sushi and one or two other people, apologize I can't remember all the names offhand.

So, as I mentioned, these were planted 2/25, here we go!

Grow list...

b82786cf0221139f2c491b3210dbcccb.jpg

Edit: The abbreviations on the varieties are as follows:

BT - seeds originally came from Butch Taylor

OW - seeds were from one of my overwintered plants, so the parent plant was true at the time.

Op - seeds came from an Open Pollinated pod

ISO- seeds came from a pod I managed to isolate (I use the wood glue method, gluing the flower shut right before it's about to open)

OG - seeds left from the original batch of seeds I was gifted from other members.

New setup...

6fa3aa72a90bcb8359048e7163081eab.jpg

5ee051beae6f038e4fa80de21ddb9ba6.jpg

Trays...

2a97e48b170880850f2f99bbfa0cc050.jpg

dddeefbb0718b2be8057f89e09a00aa7.jpg

fab1783a81dcdd6f2c4a11133128f829.jpg

I'll be starting some Jalapenos and Bell peppers along with tomato's, cucumbers and onions mid March, about 2 weeks.

Hopefully I can make time to post regular updates again.

It's good to be back!

Troy

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tybo said:
Welcome back!  I'll be watching.
Thanks! Hopefully I'll see some signs of life towards the end of the week. Usually I see germination anywhere from 5-14 days but I've had reaper seeds sprout after 30+ days so I usually wait a full 30 days or so before I call it quits on any seeds.

Soil temp set to 82°F min/83°F max. Normally keeps it between 80°F-85°F

I have some survival blankets to wrap the setup in also to keep in some more heat and light once the start to germ. If only there was more time in a day...

Welcome back U)<now.

Nice looking set-up and grow list.

I'll be following along as well.

Best of luck!

peppersproutfarm said:
Great list! Best of luck.
Thanks!
DownRiver said:
Welcome back U)<now.

Nice looking set-up and grow list.

I'll be following along as well.

Best of luck!
Thank you! Just threw this together quick and it turned out pretty good. Previously I had a homemade PVC grow tent/box and would start around 400-500 seeds, give most away and keep the strongest plants for myself, I just don't have the time for that this year.

If I run out of room (spoiler: I always do, lol) I might use some sheets of plywood to lay on the racks and extend the shelf space out to the sides a little further since the lights hang out there anyway.

Hopefully I get time to wrap it this week to help keep some heat inside it. Eventually I'm going to just get a grow tent with some good lights, but for this season, this setup should work pretty good [emoji106]

PaulG said:
Patience, grasshopper   :rofl:

Glad to hear that the outlook is promising!
Yeah I know, I know... :rofl: Since most of my seeds are 3-4 years old I was nervous, but they were all dried properly and have been kept in individual ziploc bags for each variety, inside another ziploc bag for each year, and finally altogether in a larger ziploc in the fridge, so that should have helped keep them pretty viable.

Also, if anyone is wondering, I'm using Purple Cow organic seed starter mix for these. Had a bag left over from a few years ago so I decided to rehydrate it and use it up. My local hydro shop doesn't sell it anymore though so I'll have to switch to something different for next season, if anyone has any seed start mix recommendations, please let me know.

Good to to see you back[emoji16][emoji106]. Hope the renovation project turns out good for you also, along with your grow[emoji106][emoji16]. How much snow do y’all have up there, eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Good to to see you back[emoji16][emoji106]. Hope the renovation project turns out good for you also, along with your grow[emoji106][emoji16]. How much snow do y’all have up there, eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

We didn't get much snow in my area this year. We got a few storms of 2-4 inches and one decent one with 6-8 inches but that was about it. Up north of me like Marquette and Houghton still got a decent amount, Houghton averages 300+ inches per year though. The area I'm seems to be in a little bubble, everytime a storm is coming our way from the west or south west, we don't get much, it kinda parts when it gets to us and goes around us. We really only get hammered if it comes down on us from the North or NW.

The renovation has been quite the project, ongoing for a little over a year now. It's a bi-level house and we decided to gut the entire lower level to the concrete, no walls or anything and start from scratch. All the previous walls were crooked/not square with any other wall and electrical was a mess. Luckily I finished reframing it before lumber prices got stupid high. Finished re-insulating it a few months ago. Re-wired the entire house as well, lower and upper levels. Working on all new plumbing now and then onto drywall. The never ending project! I don't know what I did with all my spare time before this. [emoji23]

Back