• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Ultimate Baked Beans recipe done

all is fine with the world...that's why they make vanilla and chocolate...

Boys, boys, boys..... SHEESH!

OK- I'm doing a combination of suggestions.
pinto and black beans
chorizo
onion
spices, black pepper (sorry geeme) salt
mustard, little bit of molassas, brown sugar, splash cider vin, tamari, beef broth, tomato sauce

I put the beans and some spices in the pressure cooker for about an hour, fried up the chorizo and onions. Then it all went into a big pan with the rest of the stuff and into the oven. One tester bowl, just cuz it was tasting guuud.
e05a07d9.jpg

671b62de.jpg

3f3097b3.jpg

24b51e91.jpg

e160d48c.jpg

side note- Hubby was talking with one of the guys this evening about the menu for the bbq and came back with "just one suggestion, It would be good to have some baked beans to go with the ribs".

:lol: "honey, they're already in the oven!"

Looking good SL, just like JayT likes it, dark, sweet, and beefy.

It's dark, a little smoky, but not from any smoke added,

but it's not sweet enough. I brought about 3 cups in for dinner and put the rest in the refer. We both agree, it needs more sweet. Fot that amount of beans it only had about 2 tbsp of molassas and 1/2 cup brown sugar. I didn't add any of the prepared bbq sauce, just ingredients if the sauce.

The only heat is from some standard chili powder and the chorizo. For me, I think it's tame, but hubby thinks it's too spicy for the crew and their guests.

My feeling is-
there's plain corn, plain garlic bread, plain steaks, plain potato salad, plain coleslae.................if you can't handle a little spicy beans...then GO HOME OR DON'T EAT THEM!

OK rant done, but beans are still in the works~~~

Not hatin or anything, just wondering what happened to the recipes that started with

"Go out to the garden and pick......"

Gone but not forgotten :)

Whech ever way though them beans Bean looking good!!!!

:) i learnt a really nice and tasty refried bean recipe when i were in nicaragua. the cook in the hostel was cuban - his recipe used only white or pink beans well mashed up, cream and some fresh cheese, salt and spice to taste. simple and very good to serve on the side of any tortilla/nacho meal.

Not hatin or anything, just wondering what happened to the recipes that started with

"Go out to the garden and pick......"

Gone but not forgotten :)

Whech ever way though them beans Bean looking good!!!!

Never seen a recipe start with that. A recipe usually states... ex: onions, and you can buy or pick, your choice.

SL how did this go?

Oh MAN. We had a ball. Thanks for asking.

I just realized the final pics are on the camera, not on the cell phone, so those pics will have to wait until I get home.

But here's a couple teasers...
12 porterhouse steaks
18 new york steaks
15 brats
12 racks of short ribs (in the smoker... :crazy:)
5f7cfb7e.jpg

c5b3ae59.jpg

ad6d53bd.jpg

Black bean salsa, potato salad, cole slaw, garlic bread and SHRIMP!
01c89bc0.jpg

99793fab.jpg

09ac72c8.jpg

83d0b8fb.jpg

1055751c.jpg

And some other salsas, sauces, and dessert.

to be continued~

Sorry, guys, I gave up last night and went to bed. Been busy this morning with my mom.

re-cap of the baked beans-

I like to pressure cook the beans when cooking a large quantity.
1 gallon dry beans
2 gallons water
1 cup chili powder and other spices as desired

Pressure cooker 1 hour after attaining 10psi

e05a07d9.jpg

671b62de.jpg

chorizo and onions....mmmmmmm
3f3097b3.jpg

cooked beans, chorizo and onions, tomato paste, mustard, little bit of molassas and more brown sugar, cumin, garlic, Worchestershitshire sauce,

24b51e91.jpg

This is right after the beans were cooked, they got nice and thick as they sat for a couple days until the bbq.

e160d48c.jpg

Sorry I can't post pics of the smoker with 12 racks of ribs yet. Those pics are on the camera back at the house. I'll post those as soon as I get home.

Booooooo repost of same pics!

Too soupy for me. Beans have to survive on a flat plate.

Back