• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Ultimate Baked Beans recipe done

salsalady

Business Member
I got recruited to put on a little BBQ in 4 days and the only thing I don't have a tried and true recipe for is-

The Ultimate Baked Beans recipe for a rib-n-steak chowdown

I know there are TONS of recipes online, but I was looking for a tried and true recipe. Jay Bush's is good, but I think we can do a little better than that. ;)

if you don't wanna post Granny's recipe on the i-net, PM me....Thanks-
SL

and they definitley would be a whole lot easier.... :lol:

AlabamaJacks Sweet-Hots

1 gallon pork and beans
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 12 ounce pack of bacon (hickory smoked) - fry half, crunch up and put in beans, layer the other half across the top before baking
4 ounces molasses
granulated garlic to taste
1 pound lean ground beef (browned - I use 93/7)
4 ounces plain ol' yellow mustard (I use French's)
1 large white onion diced
10 Large Jalapenos Diced...you can remove the seeds, but do not remove the pith/placenta, I leave seeds in (and what ever other peppers you want to taste, these 10 japs do the job for non chiliheads)
salt and black pepper to taste..

add beans, brown sugar, molasses, mustard and diced onion to large pot that can be put in the oven (you will have ~5 quarts when finished)

fry or microwave half the bacon, crumble it up and mix bacon grease and crumbled bacon to beans...

brown 1 lb ground beef and add to beans....

stir concoction up and smooth top with a spoon....taste and adjust according to your taste...

layer the rest of the bacon on top of the beans...

Cook on 350 for 30 minutes...if bacon is not browned, turn on broil and brown bacon...

serve piping hot...

if you want it full of greasy goodness, use a small roll of spicy breakfast sausage instead of ground beef

SL, you have a good starting point in your Texas Creek BBQ sauce. Then pink beans, tomato paste, brown sugar, mustard, hot sauce, booze, pork fat, salt, dash of vinegar, in a dutch oven, done... something like that, I improvise my BBs, taste as you go, it's easy.

Okay maybe I can offer an actual tip. Sometimes I like to mash about, say 1/3 (or less) of the finished baked beans, then stir it all up together. It creates a thicker baked beans instead of the runny ones. Dig.

AJ, that bacon-laced pot sounds really good. THP, I'll be using some of the BBQ sauce on some ribs, so that would bring it together. And the beans'll be cooked the day ahead, that'll ll mush 'em up good. I don't like runny beans at a picnic, it just messes up everything else on the plate. Thanks for that idea to mash up some of the beans.

So, basically, y'all just get some pre-cooked beans, throw a bunch of schtuff in it and away to the races?

And here, all this time, I thought one had to be part of some super-secret bean-cooking fraternity to actually make it from scratch. :think:

I am diggin' on all that BACON! That would go good with the crowd as they are not what you call.....(ahem) ...health concious eaters.

I don't like runny beans at a picnic, it just messes up everything else on the plate. Thanks for that idea to mash up some of the beans.

So, basically, y'all just get some pre-cooked beans, throw a bunch of schtuff in it and away to the races?

Once you mash, you'll never go back. Trust me.

And for the beans, you can soak them overnight. You can buy cans too but you run the risk of overcooking (mush). If you buy cans you want to do more of a heating than a cooking. Baked beans are cooked quite a long time for good flavor.

Pink, navy, Great Northern, are the good beans. (GN are the supermarket ones).

I've usually just done the canned-bean thing and usually only for the home family dinner. I've never served baked beans for guests. Closest I came to that was red beans for a TD.

Pretty sure I can get pink beans, I was thinking about black beans..but probably better go with a pinto/pink/GN option.

Any other suggestions, please keep them coming. I have (1day) to get this planned and then shopping on Wed and cooking Thurs....

Any other suggestions, please keep them coming. I have (1day) to get this planned and then shopping on Wed and cooking Thurs....

Don't really care for bacon, it becomes flaccid. However some pulled pork with bark, finely chopped, or even brisket burnt ends, can really add some good flavor and texture. A little fat back for flavor. Whatever you dig SL.

Like THP, I usually improvise mine, but a couple tricks I use would be: kielbasa along with the bacon browned a little before adding, black beans are always in mine, and try smoking the beans instead of baking.

Fresh "Ham Hocks".....cooked to death, dice meat if it doesn't fall apart first...good luck

Bourbon , Dark Muscovado sugar, Black Strap Molasses.......

Greg

What's with all the canned bean recipes? BOOOOOOOOO!

The last time I did a big ole pot of beans I used pinto's (like a good texan should) and just started throwing stuff in. To make it easier on y'all here's a dang good recipe by Lisa Fain, a Texas gal in NYC. She's the real deal.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2010/03/ranch-style-beans-recipe.html

Check out the rest of her blog as she has heaps of tex-mex stuff on there.

Salute'

What's with all the canned bean recipes? BOOOOOOOOO!

Not me bro that's all AJ :lol:. Gotta buy uncooked for sure.

FYI some cans of BBs say white beans (like Bush's). This is not a bean it is a name for navy, Great Northern, and Cannellini (white kidney). So if shopping for white beans you can buy any of those. However I don't like a kidney-shaped bean, or medium beans for BBs. I like small, oval. Which is why I use pink beans. Flavorful too, and not white and starchy. Ever had refried beans? Pink beans (usually). Navy are also small, but a little fatter. They are also called Boston Beans, so if you've had Boston baked beans... navy. Great Northern are oval but more of a medium and are probably what Bush's are. There you go.

Refrieds are pinto or pink. Google that shite. Then make a batch with pink and kiss yo self two times Sally.

hey, hey, hey...don't criticize the recipe if you have not cooked it...plain ol' canned pork and beans is a good starting place and you don't have to mash them...

Back