• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Unenlightened Backwater

I was in a major chain hardware/gardening store here today & checking out their range of seeds. As per normal they had 2 varieties of capsicum (bell peppers) & this.

seed_pack.JPG

And I do mean that is all they had for the entire chilli range. It's also all you would find in any other store.

*sigh* here's hoping one day I'll find a packet of Jalapeno seeds ;)

Well, you know, it's not like I buy chili seeds at the store, either. While I could actually buy jalapeƱo seeds, they'd probably be some nasty hybrid, and the other choice would be a generic cayenne. I mean, Charleston Hots were developed in this state for our growing conditions; but do you think the seeds are sold here? Noooooooooooooooo.

I order my seeds and plants from on-line.

I always check out the seeds at local stores but rarely are there any non bell pepper seeds. I did manage to find some tepin seeds a few years back which really surprised me.

Really..I thought this was the only place where its packaged as "Pepper, hot chilli" no variety, it doesn't need to be pointed out, but 'unworthy' pods being passed off as hot. It should be illegal & I don't mean the sick bird.

bentalphanerd said:
Really..I thought this was the only place where its packaged as "Pepper, hot chilli" no variety, it doesn't need to be pointed out, but 'unworthy' pods being passed off as hot. It should be illegal & I don't mean the sick bird.

Most people don't seem to realize that there are nuances to chili heat. When we're out at the Farmer's Market, my sister and I joke to people we have all levels of heat, everything from sweet to mild, medium, hot, and please sign a waiver. Most of the time we get blank looks. So we ask, speaking slowly, of course, if you were buying salsa at the grocery store, would you buy mild, medium, or hot? Most of them get that.

bentalphanerd said:
Hmmm - Pam & her sister asking strangers about how much heat they can handle, may lead to a few false positives?

Yeah, 'cause we don't have enough people problems.

Today, a Scotsman, by his accent, peered intently at the peppers spread over the table and proudly informed his companion, "These are scotch bonnets, the hottest peppers in the world!" He pronounced it like 'bon't'. I smiled and explained the relationship, but that these were chocolate habaneros, not scotch bonnets, and that they weren't the hottest in the world.

"Nay, they're bon'ts, " he huffed. "I've grrrrown bon'ts, and they're the hottest," he punctuated his comments with a finger pointed at my face. I bit my tongue and smiled politely.

Then he stooped to pet Abigail and announced, "These Australian Cattle dogs are grrrrand!" My sister covered her face with her hand to smother a giggle as I tried to explained well, that actually, she's an Australian Shepherd...

No sales there.

I've got Scottish in-laws, you'll never convince them of anything...

I bought Caribbean Antillais seeds from a nursery in Sydney last season.

Thanks mate, but I'll have to wait & see if I have any space left from what I'm doing now.
An entire side of the fence-line where I was going to put 80 to 100 plants has the storm water pipe underneath from neighbours behind us (all part of the '74 floods rebuild)..I'm planning on a polytunnel to take up the spares right now.
I'll have to give it a miss for now, thanks anyway.
But dammit...exotic seeds commercially available on this continent....who'd of thunk it?

Pam said:
Today, a Scotsman, by his accent, peered intently at the peppers spread over the table and proudly informed his companion, "These are scotch bonnets, the hottest peppers in the world!" He pronounced it like 'bon't'. I smiled and explained the relationship, but that these were chocolate habaneros, not scotch bonnets, and that they weren't the hottest in the world.

"Nay, they're bon'ts, " he huffed. "I've grrrrown bon'ts, and they're the hottest," he punctuated his comments with a finger pointed at my face. I bit my tongue and smiled politely.

should've let him try a bhut jolokia. :lol:

at grocery stores down here, i've found jalapeno seeds, as well as a few other more mild peppers..nothing like a habanero though.

xgrafcorex said:
should've let him try a bhut jolokia. :lol:

I wish I'd had one, but the two ripe ones we had sold almost right away.

What would have been funny was to have offered up a Grenada Seasoning pepper. They look almost exactly like a Fatalii, only they're mild. I could have said that Scotch Bonnets were wussie peppers and eaten one to prove it.

Canuk Pepperhead said:
lol im a scottsman and I get a kick outa that

Well, it's not like they have the market on obstinacy cornered or anything; but it probably wouldn't have been nearly as funny if he hadn't been a Scotsman.

chilliman64 said:
I've got Scottish in-laws, you'll never convince them of anything...

I bought Caribbean Antillais seeds from a nursery in Sydney last season.

Hmmmmph!!!*notice the avatar*

Anyhow, the only place that I can find interesting seeds here is at the Hydroponics store. Amazingly, their seeds work in dirt too! ;)

Back