• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Use Gloves!

Yesterday, I was deseeding Bhuts with my bare hands, before splitting them to put in my dehydrator. I finished at 5:00 P.M. My Fingers still hurt. The part that burns most is the nail (opposite palm) side, the middle section of the finger.

So, the moral of the story is: When handling superhots, Use Gloves!

You are now officially a pepperhead. Here is your membership card and decoder ring :)

The capsaicin goes through my gloves when I cut up a lot of superhots :( . Bleach will break down the capsaicin. You just gotta make sure you wash your hands real well after using bleach. I had gloves on while cutting up TS Butch Ts, and I still felt pain on my hands when I woke up, so I resorted to using bleach.

Hmm... I guess I'm a freak. I've never used gloves to process my peppers in any way. I'll get the occasional stinging under my fingernails, but it's more of an annoyance than anything. I'm beginning to think I'm, as Ted says, "broken."

Hmm... I guess I'm a freak. I've never used gloves to process my peppers in any way. I'll get the occasional stinging under my fingernails, but it's more of an annoyance than anything. I'm beginning to think I'm, as Ted says, "broken."

[font="Calibri""]I'm with you!![/font]

Use gloves! And welcome to the club, Dragon49. At least you didn't have any loo tales to add to the story! [sub]unless you're just not sharing that part of the story~~~~![/sub]

Use gloves, and change them when needed. Stems etc can puncture the glove. Just get another one. It's not worth the pain. But you may find your forearms burning even with using gloves.

WallyWorld has gloves for a pretty reasonable price. OR.....just ask at your local supermarket. Most meat and produce, and definitely the deli, use disposable gloves. The last case of nitrile gloves I bought throught the local meat department were less money than the old latex gloves. <$5 for 250.

Just got a box of nitrile gloves (mine are black). When dealing with a few pods, it never bothers me, but when deseeding hundreds I go with the gloves. Also, I have a infant, so the last thing I need is to go get him after a nap and have some of that transfer onto him... The wife is comin around to the hobby and would do a freakin 180 if that happened...

And also it isn't bueno for coitus.

mgold......you gots it~ :cool:

ty all 4 advice regarding the type of gloves.it has been 29.5 hours since I last touched the pods. My hands are almost back to normal - around 95%.

Just got a box of nitrile gloves (mine are black). When dealing with a few pods, it never bothers me, but when deseeding hundreds I go with the gloves. Also, I have a infant, so the last thing I need is to go get him after a nap and have some of that transfer onto him... The wife is comin around to the hobby and would do a freakin 180 if that happened...

And also it isn't bueno for coitus.
My reasons precisely.... i do most of my hands on work when my 2 year old is napping and i don't have the time to scrub the hell outta my hands before getting him out of the crib... working at a PD, having multitudes of friends working in hospitals and MD offices means i can get my gloves with almost no effort.... why not take advantage of it.... and i've never had issues with the capsacin/oil or homemade extracts leeching thru the gloves (i only use nitrile)...

Last night I made a chutney with 5 scotch bonnets. My hands were burning the entire night, and even this morning I scratched my eye and my eyeball felt a little warm after.

The worst was when I made a fresh sauce with 10 red habs and 8 ghost peppers. MY HANDS WERE BURNING FOR 2 DAYS!!!!!!! Unreal, and STILL I don't use gloves... LOL!!!

I'm with the "broken" people. Never even had the stinging under my nails. Sometimes when deseeding superhots and getting my fingers right in there I think I'm pushing it.... especially when I see my fingers coated in oil :shocked:..... but so far, zip, zilch, nada!

Maybe the dish soap I use to wash my hands afterward is magic? (Although not magic enough to stop me from burning other parts of my body after handling chillies! :lol:)

I'm with the "broken" people. Never even had the stinging under my nails. Sometimes when deseeding superhots and getting my fingers right in there I think I'm pushing it.... especially when I see my fingers coated in oil :shocked:..... but so far, zip, zilch, nada!

Maybe the dish soap I use to wash my hands afterward is magic? (Although not magic enough to stop me from burning other parts of my body after handling chillies! :lol:)

I'm with you on this. I feel a tingle in my hands for a while, but not a frank burn. I guess that's my "hunan hand." But then I do get hunan eye, hunan nose, hunan huinee...

I have 50 pounds of jalapenos out in the kitchen and about 15 pounds of other chiles to process.....I 'll be wearing gloves~

Back