food Veggie Fest # 1

thehotpepper.com said:
NJA I have a stupid question. Do we have to use veggies? Or can we use all fruit only?

Nothing comes from Nothing
Nothing ever could.

So please don't feel it might sound stupid.

It all depends upon what you want to cook/eat.

thehotpepper.com said:
NJA I have a stupid question. Do we have to use veggies? Or can we use all fruit only?

:think:

I reckon anything as long as it is meat-free and spicy... it needs to be spicy! Main, starter/appetizer, dessert, snack... whatever.

paulky_2000 said:
What I never understood about my vegetarian friends was that they always seemed to want to announce to everyone that they were vegetarians......like it was some higher level of social status.

+1. That's the only reason I can see for this "throwdown". Why set yourself apart when you can enter in the official throwdowns?

(If that makes me an angry 5th grader, fine.)

MrArboc said:
+1. That's the only reason I can see for this "throwdown". Why set yourself apart when you can enter in the official throwdowns?

Every one has his or her own head gear and every bird species has its own plumes .
Nothing wrong in displaying them.

MrArboc said:

Please do tell me, how many people here are actually vegetarian? (I was for a brief period in my life but am not anymore)

In all honesty, I think it's great that NJA wants to showcase what he eats and maybe have a bit of fun with it at the same time. It may not be your cup of tea, but there are some awesome meat-free dishes out there. Is it so wrong we take a little time out to appreciate these kinds of dishes? I mean, honestly, have you never enjoyed a meat-free dish of some kind in your life?

I think SL said it best when she called this event an "added fun" event. That's all it is... just a bit of fun. I'm quite certain NJA didn't start this thing to convert anyone to vegetarianism or anything........ :)

gasificada .... Not that it matters much ...... but do a poll if you really want know the number of vegetarians here vs those that aren't. Myself I enjoy both . Some vegetarian meals are super ..... so good you don't miss meat , fish , or anything. I still want it all .... if it's simply good.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

gasificada said:
In all honesty, I think it's great that NJA wants to showcase what he eats and maybe have a bit of fun with it at the same time. It may not be your cup of tea, but there are some awesome meat-free dishes out there. Is it so wrong we take a little time out to appreciate these kinds of dishes? I mean, honestly, have you never enjoyed a meat-free dish of some kind in your life?

I just don't understand why it has to be such a big deal. Should there be speciall throwdowns for pork, beef, chicken, game (with subcategories) and fish too? I'm not saying that you shouldn't have this, but now that NJA chose to alienate himself from us omnivores maybe he shouldn't complain so much when we do what we always do here on THP - make jokes.

I don't think NJA is trying to set himself up in a special class. He just likes a certain lifestyle and wants to share it with like minded ppls.

But...there have been throwdowns Vegetarians could have entered if they has so choosen. e.g.

Secret Ingredient Throwdown - Mango (5/2010)

Easter Weekend Pasta Throwdown - (4/2010)

Regional/Ethnic Sandwich Throwdown - (3/2010)

Super Bowl MVP Throwdown - (2/2010)

Comfort Food w/2 Sides Throwdown - (11/2009)

Stuff It! Oktoberfest Throwdown - (10/2009)

Stick It! Throwdown - (9/2009)

Mac N Cheese Throwdown - (8/2009)

Pizza Throwdown - (5/2009)

Popper Throwdown - (4/2009)

Friends,

It looks as if holding a veggie fest has not gone down well with some friends here on THP.
I do not have any intention of changing anyone to veggism nor do I believe in converting people.
This is because I always maintain that a person is born a Non Vegetarian because he is born with canine teeth.

I also maintain that a person is a vegetarian by choice.

I leave it to THP and other friends to make veggie fest a one time affair and bury the programme or if people like, they may continue the same once in two months or merge it with Throwdowns .

Thanks

NJA

thp is the one IIRC who made the veggie fest unofficial.

As for complaining about jokes in non Social Forum threads there have been various people complaining about that. There is a thread about it posted by the boss.

A little of it is apparently okay but sometimes we go off-topic and stay there!

MrArboc said:
I just don't understand why it has to be such a big deal. Should there be speciall throwdowns for pork, beef, chicken, game (with subcategories) and fish too? I'm not saying that you shouldn't have this, but now that NJA chose to alienate himself from us omnivores maybe he shouldn't complain so much when we do what we always do here on THP - make jokes.

I have friends that want to go out , drink and jack around in dumps .... then want a fine vegetarian meal. So you thought you'd get that at the Boon Docks ...... come on ... Catsup is a vegetarian dish in those places.

I admit I haven't read all this thread . I'd still like what to see NJA what might do. I loved the Ital dishes I ate in Ja. Pure Rasta vegetarian foods. All fresh stuff. Very clean tasting ....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

MrArboc said:
I just don't understand why it has to be such a big deal. Should there be speciall throwdowns for pork, beef, chicken, game (with subcategories) and fish too?

In all fairness, I do believe you hold a valid point; why cause unnecessary segregation, right? I personally love to see this forum getting along as a tight-knit community (when it does).... after all, we are all here for a shared interest - HOT PEPPERS!

My view as of right now is, not every "official throwdown" is going to be vegetarian-friendly and I can't see a meat-free one ever happening, so let's just do this thing once for a bit of fun and give any vegetarians on this forum their chance to shine. Let's celebrate the fact that good meat-free dishes do exist! Whether one is vegetarian or not, I'm sure everybody has thoroughly enjoyed a meat-free dish in their time... even if some don't have the plums to admit it! ;) (however, it is good to see that some have grapefruits down there!)

This does not need to be a segregated event; everyone is welcome to participate! I would not have stepped up if the case was any different.

And just to add, I hope what I said before wasn't taken as an attack, MrArboc - I was just trying to present things in a different light. :)

I have no problem with this idea and will most likely enter just to see how I fare..... ;)

That being said, I must say I was kinda out of line earlier with my comments. Just because I feel a certain way about how fanatical most vegetarians can be does not give me the right to trodge through your veggie thread.

I do have many valid gripes on the subject, but will save them for another time and another thread. (opinions available upon request) :lol:

I'm genuinely sorry for my part in the disruption. :D

It's just for fun, let's keep it that way.

By the way, will we have one of those "proof of life" things to include in the pics? I'm going shopping tonight and would like to make my stuff on Wednesday. You'll see why when pics are posted. ;)

OKAY! I'll spill a few beans! The recipe I'm making makes a TON of stuff and I want to send the extra to the food bank on Thursday. I can save pics for when the other thread opens.

salsalady said:
It's just for fun, let's keep it that way.

By the way, will we have one of those "proof of life" things to include in the pics? I'm going shopping tonight and would like to make my stuff on Wednesday. You'll see why when pics are posted. ;)

OKAY! I'll spill a few beans! The recipe I'm making makes a TON of stuff and I want to send the extra to the food bank on Thursday. I can save pics for when the other thread opens.

I say nay on the proof of life.... you are welcome to start cooking now and just post the pics when the new thread opens. I feel that since this is an unofficial event, it should be as relaxed as possible.

Can't wait to see what you have in store!

Back