food VEGGIE FEST - Post entries here!

I planned on entering this Veggie fest however upon hearing the below sermon from my Reverend I could not bring myself to participate.

"And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"
And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."
And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now,
I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus."

-Rev. Maynard

:D :rofl:
Sorry couldnt help it :twisted:

WickedMojo said:
I planned on entering this Veggie fest however upon hearing the below sermon from my Reverend I could not bring myself to participate.

"And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"
And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."
And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now,
I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus."

-Rev. Maynard

:D :rofl:
Sorry couldnt help it :twisted:

Get a team of doctors here STAT!

Here's my entry #1.. Stuffed Capsicum(Peppers) and Mushroom..

Ingredients: capsicum, mushroom, brown rice, feta cheese, romano cheese, tasty cheese, chilli stuffed olives, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilli
HOw to cook: fry up onion, garlic and chilli add tin of tomatoes and olives.. cook rice.. allow both to cool... chop up feta.. mix everything together, add romano and tasty cheese... chop capsicum in half, clean them out and fill with a bit of tasty cheese on the bottom, rice mixture and then top with romano and tasty cheese.. cover with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.. do the same with the mushrooms put in pan and cook for 10 minutes.. take out of oven, remove foil top up with cheese and a few breadcrumbs.. back in the oven under the grill for about 10 minutes..

and here she is..

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

the flat looking lump at the back is the mushroom :)

SPICY SPLIT CHICK PEA DAL FRITTERS..........A must with Moonshine

PARAPPU VADAI

Parappu vadai or Aama Vadai or Masal-Vadai all refer to those heavenly aroma spreading fritters floating in hot oil and tingling your tastebuds
from as afar as a mile.
May be I am exaggerating a bit more than I should but that is the fact.

Some of the street foods like Masal-Vadai and Chilli pepper fritters(Mozakka Bhajji as it is known in Madras) can literally pull you to themselves
and you find yourself utterly helpless in controlling both your legs taking the direction and thaose pangs of desire rising in your stomach and mouth.

Both the above fritters have power to gather customers to hover on the food stall like honey bees on frenzy on the honeycomb.I have seen
people waiting patiently upto 30 minutes to get their Masal-Vadais in front of pushcarts in Madras and Bangalore.

As an involuntary manager of our ancestral printing press on Audiappa Naicken street in Madras, (after my school hours),
I always used to look forward to getting my tea and Masal-Vadais for 50 paise (1 penny)during 1964-68 years.

Masala Vadai is an evening tea time snack which you can get only at tea shops or with road side cooking women near any market area
like Kotwal chawadi or fruit market.An Arrack guzzeling worker will swear by his masala vadais that help him chase down Arrack.
And those office workers in corporation of Madras sitting under huge fans rotating a mile above their headsin Rippon Building will do
the same for their share of evening Masal-Vadai with their "kappi"

Without stretching anymore let me share with you how I prepare these beauties.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup Chickpea (split) Channa Dal (200 gms)
50 gms Black gram lentil dehusked (Urid dal)
1 Medium sized Onion sliced
3 to 4 Hot peppers sliced
1 sprig Curry leaves shredded
1 " ginger shredded (optional)
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
2 pinches Asafoetida
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 Tbsp Rice flour

LENTIL PASTE AND INGREDIENTS

4128459492_d6ef78395a_o.jpg

End part one..........

SPICY SPLIT CHICK PEA DAL FRITTERS..........A must with Moonshine

contd..........

METHOD OF PREPARATION.

Soak Chickpeas and Black gram lentils in warm water for about an hour in seperate vessels.Strain water completely and seperate about two
table spoon of soaked chickpeas and set aside.
Using the heavy duty food processor without adding any water, prepare rough paste of both the lentils together.Set aside.

Chop curry leaves, slice onion and green chillies.Mix these with paste of lentils. Also add soaked two tablespoons of Chickpeas
which were not turned into paste. Add salt, chilli powder, Turmeric powder, chopped onions, sliced chilli peppers and Asafoetida .
Mix thoroughly.

Prepare small dumplings of the mix in your palms as shown in the picture and flatten them slightly.Smear Rice flours on both the sides.
This will avoid sticking and impart crspiness to Vadais.

MIXING INGREDIENTS

4127692845_24a3978a6f_o.jpg

PREPARING DUMPLINGS

4128468170_dd496a02f4_o.jpg

4127701591_32c1c359bb_o.jpg

Fry the dumplings on medium heat till they become darkish in color as shown in the picture.

FRIED VADAIS

4127705375_8e5d4216c8_o.jpg

This is a "must have " with moonshine . Those who do not drink, have them usually with afternoon tea or coffee.

Enjoy

That's what I'm talking.... now we're getting somewhere!

That Chili looks awesome SL! (I'm sure you already know too that ALL good cooking leaves a mess :lol:)

And the boss man brought it too...!? :shocked: So damn proud of ya right now, THP! :wipes a joyful tear: :lol:

(btw, boss, how do u do that fancy slide-type photo posting thingy? or is it a boss man only feature?)

yea, Mel! Cheese under the broiler...always a good thing!

And NJA's fritters look really yummy also. That sounds like a perfect street vendor food.

Getting some great entries.

Gassy? Where's yours?

paulky_2000 said:
I wonder if anyone will bring it with poppers!!!

(Although Mel's entry is damn close to that!)

that was gonna be my second dish!!! maybe tonight.. maybe tomorrow.. we'll see :)

OK Pauly, you can't suggest it and then not do it...............

ticktockticktock

salsalady said:
OK Pauly, you can't suggest it and then not do it...............

ticktockticktock

I may enter, but I'm still not sure the way to attack a meal completely void of meat or meat products.

It just feels to me like it would kissing your sister.

pauly, it doesn't have to necessarily be a meal, the pasta salad I did would be great as a side dish to a summer grill, or (gasp, don't tell NJA or Gassy I said this) ... a person could add some cold cooked chicken or even ham to the salad.

How about some double stuffed baked potatoes with bleu cheese and cheddar melted on top?

Or one of your other special side dishes?

Mmm, that baked potato sounds good-

mel said:
Here's my entry #1.. Stuffed Capsicum(Peppers) and Mushroom..

Ingredients: capsicum, mushroom, brown rice, feta cheese, romano cheese, tasty cheese, chilli stuffed olives, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilli
HOw to cook: fry up onion, garlic and chilli add tin of tomatoes and olives.. cook rice.. allow both to cool... chop up feta.. mix everything together, add romano and tasty cheese... chop capsicum in half, clean them out and fill with a bit of tasty cheese on the bottom, rice mixture and then top with romano and tasty cheese.. cover with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.. do the same with the mushrooms put in pan and cook for 10 minutes.. take out of oven, remove foil top up with cheese and a few breadcrumbs.. back in the oven under the grill for about 10 minutes..

and here she is..

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

the flat looking lump at the back is the mushroom :)

Mel -- in the 2nd and 3rd pic what is that the pepper in the upper right corner? is that a Peter Pepper?

LUCKYDOG said:
Mel -- in the 2nd and 3rd pic what is that the pepper in the upper right corner? is that a Peter Pepper?

hahhaa.. no.. that was my attempt at pretty-ing up the plate... guess it backfired eh?? its just some thai chilli :)

I got my ingredients today.

I can't help but think I'm going to catch complete hell for this. I mean, I already have a tiara!!

Back