food VEGGIE FEST - Post entries here!

Uh Oh- Pauly's looking to toss his tiara! Watch out everyone...No Whining!

So how does that work, Pauly? Every time you see a whining post, do you hit the REPORT button?

Hey, I just noticed that there is no report button! 'course we already knew The Boss is all-seeing and all-knowing~

Booooo, why don't we have a report button that is like so not cool if we had a report button we could report everyones posts and that would be like killer because sometimes people ramble on about nothing at all and sometimes they can even use words like shit or poo and they dont get into any trouble because there isnt any button or they use really crappy punctuation what which pisses me off and then you get the other people that cant spull pruberly or go on to nonsensical tangent that even the einstein couldnt understand i would report those people as well as the people that posts things like i like pie or beer is god or you cant cook ribs in the overn i meen who do those people think they are getting away with such fragrant disregard of my belly that needs more alcohol and they dont even get me a drink and what about the ones that dont even seperate paragraphs and when you read there posts that dont make any sense and nurly maked your head explode trying to decifer what the hell it is they have writter before you hit the report button that isnt there

Nova, the only thing missing was ...like, ya know..... :rofl:

salsalady said:
Hey, I just noticed that there is no report button! 'course we already knew The Boss is all-seeing and all-knowing~

We do have a report button. Well - I have. Maybe you and Nova isn't trusted with one? ;)

Here I go.

I'm cooking up some Ratatouille. I often eat a veggie ratatouille pie down at a local pie shop but I'm just going to serve this one with rice

Starting ingredients:

ratatoille001.jpg

And later on cooking away

ratatoille003.jpg

Hopefully the finished product will be worth posting later :)

great looking plate, Timmmy, what are the peppers? They look HHHhhhhoooootttt!

BEVADI DAL (Double Dal) ....A mix of Heavenly tasting Lentils

Veggie Fest Entry # 2

Friends,

I am posting my second entry for the fest. Hope you guys would give it a try. I am sure, it will make you as happy as scores of my other American and English friends .

BEVADI DAL (Double Dal)

4642383971_2ee78e5ecc_o.jpg

Gujarat is such a region of world that has over 90 percent of population which is vegetarian. Legumes and Dals are primary source of Proteins.
What is meatloaf to Americans is Lentil to vegetarians.Lentils in India are used whole and are known as KATHOL. Split Lentils are known as DALS.
Powdered chick pea dal is Known as BESAN and the most used Dal in India. Lentils are used to make, soups, sauces and are known as Dals.
Dals are made in single, Two mix, Triple Mix and Five Mix using different lentils.
Over in Saurashtra region of Gujarat in India, we have Panchvati Dal, Trevati dal(Three dals)and Bevdai dal (Two dals)and just single Dal ,
which we generally cook to be eaten with Bhakhri or Rotlas.Bhakhari is a thick flat bread which is almost toast like in texture.It is also eaten with other
forms of flat breads like Rotlas (Millet Bread) or Rotlis (wheat flat bread) and plain Rice.

Dals are prepared in a number of ways.

I prepare lentils in Tadka Dal form using, one, two three and five different Lentil/dals. They are called Dal, Bevadi Dal, Trevati Dal
and Panchavati Dal. Of these, I am posting Bevadi Dal (Double Dal ) here.

A number of my friends have loved this spicy Double Dal.I prepare Double Dal using Egyptian Lentils and Green Gram Lentils.

4641644447_0dbcbcaa48_o.jpg

4641639205_c416dc02fc_o.jpg

INGREDIENTS

100 gms Mung Dal (Green Gram Lentil)
50 gms Masoor Dal (Egyptian Lentils)
1 No. Onion sliced( medium sized onion)
2 Nos. Tomatoes (diced)
1/2 cup cilantro chopped finely
1.5" thumb sized Ginger finelly grated
3/4 tsp Red chilli powder
1 Spoon Turmeric powder
3 to 4 Nos. Green chillies (select quantity as per need)
1 tbsp Pure Ghee (Rarified Butter)
1/4 Spoon Asafoetida (or as per taste)
5 to 6 cloves
1 or 2 bay leaves
Curry leaves....1 sprig
1 Spoon of Lime Juice OR one spoon of Amchur powder
Salt to taste
Enough water for cooking

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Soak Dals for about 2 hours . Thereafter, cook with twice the water directly instead in a steam cooker along with one spoon of Ghee, Salt, Red Chilli powder and Turmeric.Cook the dals well but take care to see that the dal does not become mushy. When the Dal combo is cooked, transfer to a wide mouth pan.If the water in your place is hard, then I would suggest you to use pressure cooker route to cook dals. However, ensure that you remove the cooker after 10 minutes and ensure the dals are not overcooked.

Remove to another pan and add Green Chillies and Tomatoes .Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on a medium flame. Keep stirring or else the Dals will stick to the bottom. Now add finely chopped cilantro and cook for another 2 minutes .Cover the vessel and remove from Stove and set aside.
Take some rarified butter(ghee) in a kadai/wok and sauté sliced Onion till light pink. Add a quarter or half a spoon of Asafoetida just when the Onion is turning Pink.
Now add the Onion to Dal. Finally add a spoon of Fresh lime Juice/Amchur and stir it well .

TEMPERING (TADKA)

Add 0.5 tsp of Cumin and 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds to heated Ghee or oil of your choice. If you like, you may add dry chili pod too.As soon as they start popping,
add cloves and bay leaves and add finely cut Garlic and Curry leaves. Temper the Dal and cover the pan and keep for 15 minutes. Sprinkle Cilantro on top and serve with Bhakhris or Rotlas or parathas or Rice if you like.

4642368968_1200f83b51_o.jpg

Enjoy !!

salsalady
great looking plate, Timmmy, what are the peppers? They look HHHhhhhoooootttt!

The peppers were choc bhuts :) So tasty and have a real nice smell

NJA that dish looks like a restaurant dish, very nice.

Back