• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Vids & Votes: The Subway Foot-long Face-off Challenge

Hi all!

Here's the topic for videos & voting. I've requested that contestants not "solicit votes" - that said, you - the voting members of THP, can absolutely comment on why you scored who in what categories.

All videos should be set to Public at this point.

A quick refresh of the important rules of this competition:
  1. Contestants must purchase a Subways sliced turkey sandwich – this is a foot-long sandwich on whatever type of bread the contestant chooses. It must be Subways, to ensure a consistent sandwich among all contestants.
  2. Whole, foot-long unsliced sandwich must contain the following
    • At least one (1) condiment – mustard, mayo, dressing, oil & vinegar, one of the subway "splooges", etc.
    • Mandatory toppings of pickled jalapenos, Peperoncini, lettuce, pickles.
    • At least four (4) toppings of the rest available: cucumber, mushrooms, tomato, olives, bell pepper, avacado, etc.
    • Salt & Pepper is optional
    • Cheese is tricky. Some may be lactose intolerant, and I want to be considerate of that. As such here's the rule for cheese: it is mandatory to either 1. Have cheese on your sandwich, or 2. Include two (2) additional toppings subway offers. That seems fair.
    • Sandwich may not be toasted.
  3. Sandwich must be intact – contestants must instruct to not slice the sandwich in half. Why? Because eating 2 halves is far less amusing to watch than seeing someone try to eat one whole sandwich. This rule is purely for the amusement potential of the viewing audience.
  4. The hot component: We cannot have a contest at The Hot Pepper without Hot Peppers. Why, that would be crazy talk. So to satisfy that requirement, contestants must procure 11 whole, fresh Habanero pods. These are Orange "grocery store" habs. Nothing fancy.
  5. These habaneros shall remain whole. De-stemming is acceptable. Washing is acceptable. Slicing, halving or otherwise mutilating them is not acceptable. No deseeding will be tolerated. Whole pod, with seeds & placentas only.
  6. Camera angle must be sufficient to capture the contestant's placement of the 11 pods on the sandwich. And yes – we (the audience) must see every pod placed on the sandwich.
  7. This is a hands-free event. No tools, no elbows, knees, feet, wrists, forearms will be allowed. If you touch the sandwich with your hands, you are DQ'd. Touch the plate the sandwich is on, you are DQ'd. Tilting the table the plate or sandwich are on, you are DQ'd.
  8. Every bit of the sandwich must be consumed down to the very last shred of lettuce. If a slice of tomato drops to the floor, you will be licking up tomato slice off of your floor, hands-free, on camera, or you are disqualified. If a piece falls onto the table or plate, you're eating off the table or plate, so if you're a germ-a-phobe you might wanna scrub that surface before the contest!
  9. Ice-cold glass of milk must be present, and in view at least once at the beginning. This is for temptation purposes only, and shall only be "legal" to drink after the 5 min "after-burn" period. Drink the milk and you're DQ'd.
  10. The only acceptable beverage is water, and that too is hands-free. I'd recommend using a straw if you intend on drinking water during this event.
  11. No adulteration of any sort to improve the overall impression will be allowed. For example, no adding extra dried Bhuts or dripping extracts onto the sandwich or anything else that might otherwise influence the voting. The contents of the sandwich are specified above. Any deviation from that for less or more will result in a disqualification
That's it for the sammich & eating rules. So long as these rules are satisfied, no DQ's will be issued.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Scoring will be handled as follows:[/background]
  • Time – this is a pretty straightforward one. No need to keep a stopwatch handy, YouTube will be the official time-keeper for this contest. Videos must be continuous during eating for this reason. (Also must be continuous between loading the fresh pods onto the sandwich & completion of eating for obvious reasons)

After eating, there is a 5-min "afterburn" period. Remain on camera for 5 mins after you've finished the sandwich. This is going to influence the "style" scoring.

Time is officially marked upon completion of the sandwich - the "after-burn" does not count against your time.

Time-points will be based on # of contestants. Assuming we fill up with all 15, time points will be awarded with 15 points being the highest, 1 being the lowest. 1[sup]st[/sup] to finish gets 15 points, last gets 1. If fewer than 15 contestants, whatever total # of contestants = max # of points. Pretty straight-forward.
  • Style – style points are a "in the eye of the beholder" thing. It could be the contestant's demeanor while burning up from the habs. It could be the grace with which they handle themselves. It could be that you notice that the contestant selected 20 little tiny habaneros compared to the other contestants who had a more "normal" looking assortment, and you deduct style points for that weak-sauce. It could be that you like the contestant's shirt, or just the "cut of their jib" – this is entirely up to the THP members who vote on style points. Voters will be asked to rate "style points" from 1 to [max # of contestants] – scoring will be same as "time" category. Least style = 1 point. Most = 15 points (if we have 15 participants).
  • Innovation – again, 100% up to interpretation and voted on by THP members. I expect people to find new, creative ways to embarrass themselves while trying to pull this off – some might try huge bites at risk of spilling contents all over the table/floor, while others might peck at it like a bird or perhaps a Velociraptor. However they do it will be considered "innovation" and will be up to you to decide. Again, voters will be asked to rate each contestant on a scale of 1 to [max # of contestants] – scoring will be same as "time" category. Least innovative = 1 point. Most = 15 points (if we have 15 participants).
  • Scores will then be added up and total points will decide 1[sup]st[/sup], 2[sup]nd[/sup] and 3[sup]rd[/sup] place.
    • Tiebreakers: In the event of a points tie for any overall position, the tie-breaker will be "Style points".

There it is folks!

You will score each of the 6 (six?!?) contestants per the rules above, from 1-6 in each of the categories.

Please post two lists, and any commentary you feel is warranted to support your voting (or none at all - it's up to you)

List 1: Style
List 2: Innovation

Time will be calculated by me, and I may ask another sponsor or two to also do a time-check to make sure we're fairly scoring it.

Best overall score wins 1st place, 2nd best 2nd place, 3rd best 3rd place. :woohoo:

Let...the video posting...begin! (oh, wait - I need to do that...brb)

Jamison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MvBOevdrjiQ

Darth, Pt 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=paKC60wdICg

HH's video is private, but they are working on making them public now. They're at dinner. lol

Man this is far more complicated than I'd envisioned it. haha

HH Pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qG1oir5DG78

need a bump!

HH Pt 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SHkw_XRiC7Q

OK, while we wait for HH's vid to go public, I will finally get to watch one or two of these vids.
:woohoo:

...ok, safe to say Jamison suffered the dreaded "reversal" and is DQ'd (but it was pretty funny...) - you got heckled something fierce!

Heck of a try Jamison, and thank you doe playing. :rofl:

So glad to see that was a bathroom, and not a laundry room. lol

god these vids are entertaining. lmao

Great vids guys. To have 15 slots open, and only 10 claimed, then only 6 actually show up, I tip my hat to my fellow competitors that came through. To even show up is worth a comendation. Kudos gentlemen.

Edited to include Detroitgirl's video in the count of contestants who actually did the challenge.

Back